Can I still play my original Warcraft III

Just learned about the launch of some reforged edition of warcraft 3 and I read it’s ruining the original game… somehow? I dare not start my W3 anymore… can I play the original, single player, still if I just disconnect my internet?

Scared to destroy my installed copy by accidentally. What should I do?

Luckily you still can according to this thread. Just follow the instructions and have fun on the old good version!

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/for-those-who-want-to-play-classic-warcraft-3/15598?fbclid=IwAR3bJj7BYy9PWs_0pdMcM9Uqy9snlNcvTLEjM3RML9i8sf74_vnct5IICYM

1 Like

Thank you, read the whole thing but it doesn’t set my mind at ease if I start up my game unless I somehow missed it.

I currently have version 1.31 (looked at the Details tab on the EXE properties) but very worried I’ll start the game it will just automatically begin downloading reforged assets.

So far I have been able to start the game BUT I did pull the CAT-5 cable out of the back of my computer first. lol

Before you do anything, BACKUP your files (create a copy). When I simply launched the battle net client (not Warcraft), it found my installation and instantly updated it (no I didn’t have it registered in the client, I didn’t buy reforged either).

Hmmm, ok thanks. That forced upgrade must be what my Battle Net client is complaining about at the bottom saying it needs to restart for updates. lol

I’ll just uninstall the battle net client instead then. I have no use for this disgraced company any longer.

Thanks!

Next, be wary that the newer versions of classic were changed to check for updates right after starting (I mean if you still launched the game through the .exe instead of launcher). Meaning that if you want to be completely safe, go to your firewall settings and block all outgoing connections from Warcraft. (Though if you want to play over LAN, you might have to disable that setting, not sure)

1 Like

Oh thank you! Yes while I mentioned earlier I did start the game successfully that was for the few minutes of testing if I could still use the client (directly from the exe) by unplugging my computer from the internet.

Just blocking it in the firewall will be a better solution so I don’t have to mess around moving all my office furniture all over the room to get to the back of the computer. heh