Break And Guard Gauge Systems For Units / Heroes For Warcraft III: Reforged?

No thank you, sounds like something for an RPG or fighting game. Not an RTS.

5 Likes

That is the point: for a better micro control element in the game, so that microing becomes more significant and selective.

It would also mean more spells and abilities that induces Break status.

I said it prevents micro, and you say that is the point? i think KingOmelette was right, you are playing the wrong game

what other game has more micro than wc3? its already the most significant part of the game

7 Likes

Because it’s not like these forums have had huge conversations about stuff like pathing, blocking, and general micro already.

2 Likes

It’s a cool system but I can’t really get behind it.

It’s a drastic and I mean hella drastic change to the system we all know and love.

I dig the Idea of updating the game but eventually there does come a point where it really isn’t the same game anymore.

Beyond that I’d say something like this belongs solely in the custom maps section rather than the ladder.

3 Likes

OOOh! How about the “Guard Gauge” System.

What is “Guard” or “Guarding” and how does it work?

• Takes 50% damage from all damage for 7 seconds.
  • Guard recovery takes 27 seconds to work again.
  • When “broken” by Break damage, the unit / Hero cannot Guard.
  • Both enemies and allies applies the same Guard Gauge conditions.

Another cool thing to add to Warcraft III to watch out for conditions when to and when not to use damaging spells.

And maybe to add Guard breaking spells and abilities to Warcraft III: Reforged. So, how about this one guys?

This ^ quote applies to 90% of the requests on this forum

5 Likes

Sure, why not. For custom games. Not melee/ladder.

2 Likes

Besides the Break Gauge, Guard Gauge, and Elemental Attribute systems for both Humans, Orcs, Undead, Night Elves, Demons, Naga, Creeps, and Mechanical units alike…

1 Like

wc3s engine is too damn old to suggest stuff like this.

even though i’d like to see some sort of moral breaking thing, i realize why it can’t be there.

also since the units and hero’s alongside items play a massive role in how you increase or decrease Armor/Damage/Health/Mana/Movement and Attack speed.

your suggestion is an extra lair of complexity, while it is a good idea, i have mostly seen other RTS games that tend to have stuff like this, on the flip side they have pretty basic abilities and no items effecting. so it would give the existence of moral breaking ideas more impact.

this idea can serve well for a traditional RTS, something that warcraft 3 is NOT. atleast on my side i’ve learned to stop expecting things like this from wc3 melee.

2 Likes

That would reduce the possibility and impact of micro. What’s the point?

1 Like

Both the Break system and the Shield Guard system has been updated as of 12/24/19.

What is “Break”?
• A break gauge or break points equals that of the unit’s maximum hit points.
• A break gauge takes 100% damage from all attack types and spells.
• A break gauge or break points does not have any armor points.
• Break gauge does not have break point regen no matter what the unit is.
• Becomes stunned for 2 seconds when reached the 40%
and 20% and 10% and 5% and 0% current break point marks.
• Takes 2 times critical damage at 10% chance for 2 seconds when
reached the 40% & 20% & 10% & 5% & 0% current break point mark.
• The break gauge only recovers to 100% maximum break points
when reached the 0% current break point if and when the unit survives.
• Some new abilities and items can increase break resistance
by double value that of hit point increasing items and other abilities.
• Some new abilities and items can increase break damage
by double value that of hit point damage abilities and items.
• Both enemies and allies applies the same Break Gauge conditions.

What is “Shield Guard” or “Shield Guarding” and how does it work?
• Takes 50% damage from all damage for 7 seconds.
• Guard recovery takes 27 seconds to work again.
• When “broken” by Break damage, the unit / Hero cannot Shield Guard.
• Both enemies and allies applies the same (Shield) Guard Gauge conditions.

where is the update? you mean you edited your text files? how is that an update? why are you continuing to write this crap without learning how to make custom maps? its very disturbing that you dont listen to all the people telling you they dislike your ideas o.O

1 Like

Let’s assume he means it as a base ability code to be easily made for custom games like RPGs, MOBAs, or the likes to spare us the effort of having to go through the trouble of making it

1 Like

The Break Gauge System

1. A break gauge equals every 40% of the unit’s or Hero’s maximum hit points, starting with 80% of max HP for the first break and then 40% of max HP for the second break.

2. A break gauge takes 100% damage from all attack types and spells, and deals only 80% break damage when casting damaging spell against Heroes.

3. A break gauge does have armor points equal to the unit or Hero having the break gauge.

4. A break gauge does not have any break gauge regeneration.

5. When the break gauge meter is full will cause the broken unit or Hero to take 100 spell damage as well as become stunned for 5 (3) seconds.

6. The break gauge recovers back to zero when the broken effect has passed.

7. Some new abilities and spells and items can increase break gauge damage resistance from health point increasing items and spells and other abilities.

8. However, some new abilities and spells and items can also increase break gauge damage from health point damaging items and spells and other abilities.

9. All buildings, and rare units, and very rare Heroes in official Ladder gameplay has Break Gauge Immunity that cannot become broken (Level 1.5 worth).

10. Classified as a “reward” mechanic system that rewards players for their efforts when utilizing this system to their favor…

11. Both enemies and allies applies the same Break Gauge conditions.

Break Gauge Based Spells And Abilities:

Break Coil (Spell 1 / Smartcast) - Increases an enemy unit’s break gauge.
Level 1 - 75 MP Cost, 100 Break Gauge Points, Targets: Enemy,
Neutral, Land, Air, Organic. 900 Cast Range, 6 Seconds Cooldown.
Level 2 - 75 MP Cost, 200 Break Gauge Points, Targets: Enemy,
Level 3 - 75 MP Cost, 300 Break Gauge Points, Targets: Enemy,

Break Bolt (Spell 1 / Smartcast) - Increases an enemy
unit’s break gauge and stuns the unit for 5 seconds.
Level 1 - 75 MP Cost, 100 Break Gauge Points, 5 (3) Seconds Stun Duration,
Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air, Organic. 600 Cast Range, 9 Seconds Cooldown.
Level 2 - 75 MP Cost, 200 Break Gauge Points, 5 (3) Seconds Stun Duration,
Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air, Organic. 600 Cast Range, 9 Seconds Cooldown.
Level 3 - 75 MP Cost, 300 Break Gauge Points, 5 (3) Seconds Stun Duration,

Anti-break Barrier (Spell 2 / Smartcast) - Creates a barrier that resists up to 400
break gauge damage upon a friendly unit. Can be dispelled. Lasts for 120 seconds.
Level 1 - 65 MP Cost, 400 Bonus Break Gauge For 120 Seconds Duration, Instant Cast, 900 Cast Range, Targets: Friendly, Neutral, Land, Air. 1 Second Cooldown.

Break Gauge Immunity (Skill 3 / Active) - Cannot become broken by attacks and spells.
Level 1.5 - Is Immune Against Breaking The Break Gauge.

Break Strike (Skill 3 / Active) - Gives a 15% chance to deal
extra break gauge damage when attacking opponents.
Level 1 - 15% Chance To Deal 1.5 Times Break
Gauge Damage When Attacking An Enemy Unit.
Level 2 - 15% Chance To Deal 2.0 Times Break
Level 3 - 15% Chance To Deal 2.5 Times Break

Break Gauge Up (Skill 3 / Active) - Increases Break Gauge points by a percentage.
Level 1 - 10% Break Gauge Increase Of Self.
Level 2 - 20% Break Gauge Increase Of Self.
Level 3 - 30% Break Gauge Increase Of Self.

Break Arrow (Spell 2 / Allcast / Autocast Off) - Increases
break gauge damage when attacking at the cost of mana.
Level 1 - 10 MP Cost, +25 Break Gauge Damage When Attacking,
600 Cast Range, Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air. No Cooldown.
Level 2 - 10 MP Cost, +50 Break Gauge Damage When Attacking,
Level 3 - 10 MP Cost, +75 Break Gauge Damage When Attacking,

Star Children (Spell 4 / Smartcast) - Calls down waves of falling stars that does break gauge damage to nearby enemy units. Each wave deals 50 break gauge damage.
The time between waves is 1.5 seconds.
Level 6 - 130 MP Cost, 50 Break Gauge Damage Per Wave, 1.5 Seconds Wave Interval, 1000 Area Of Effect, Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air. 45 Seconds Duration, 100 Seconds Cooldown.

Break Filler (Spell 1 / Smartcast / Autocast On) - Fills an enemy
unit’s break gauge by 200 points over 12 seconds. Can be dispelled.
Level 1 - 125 MP Cost, 200 Break Gauge Points Over 12 (12) Secs, Instant Cast, Can Be Dispelled, Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air, Organic. 900 Cast Range, 1 Sec Cd.

And what about Spell Breakers? They should be immune to all that you described, right?

Now really: proposed changes are Not cool at all! Game will get too complicated.

1 Like

Holy necrobump batman!

Who actually thinks we need this kind of added complexity? Is the game not deep enough already?

2 Likes

So enemy came with archers and my footies became stunned at 40% and 4 more times during battle? Nice, you favour just who Attack first+ Ranged.

Exactly, poor dying footman will take also 2xCritical damage at 40%. Plus stunned. Is really unlikely to recover or run away from battle. Poor footman :hot_face:

So never or just in extremely luck situations, but Gauge recover does not mean Life restore.

So this opens for more Cheese in game, making other people frustrated.

What do you mean? Eg. I have gauge for footman 60/100, now he is coiled, the total capacity 100 will increase or the remaining 60 ? Because you stated:

So the 60 cannot be increased, just when luckily the footman reach 0 /100 and is still not dead.

Again increasing the 60 from 60/100 you said is forbidden, and increasing the max gauge 100 to 120 make too little reward because just in the next round (if unit reach enough damage and became 0/120 + did not die (eg. maybe teleported at that moment) you could use after the increased amount: 120/120.

Why should I want to increase enemy gauge? Maybe I want to decrease his total gauge + empty his actual gauge to be stunned, take 2x damage, eventually die…

This is should be my Spell Breaker’s new task :slight_smile:

Ok but actually you StarChildren enemy unit without hitting him, =>his footmans break Gauge if was 60/120 now he will be gauge damaged so get to the point that footies will have 0/120 and survive the system will refill actual gauge => 120/120 :slight_smile:

So StarChildren if not used in combination with other things will be like Kotg healing rain (tranquility) but for enemy - oh my :rofl:
Actually outcome will be random, unpredictable, depending on how many seconds you are StarChildrened, maybe StarChildren will make a weak Gauged enemy much more stronger decreasing his remaining gauge and than system auto fills actual gauge up to max gauge!

Finally in my opinion this Entire Gauge System will strongly favour Attackers and render defenders with weak units, (Except the using of StarChildren ability on defenders) even if they fully upgrade all + shield.
The winners will be the opportunists, the people who attack first, have ranged, or sneak-attacks.

I better wanna see a game where an experienced footman can kill a young not so experienced knight.
They done something similar in SC2 Co-Op Mengsk - with Royal Guards (Aegis Guard, Shock division) so those Units gain XP - increase health/armour/damage.

And this are just my first thoughts! :slight_smile: have a nice day!

1 Like

Cat. The above are just a prototype. But I actually have an updated version of this here that I’ve developed just very recently ago below:

The Break Gauge System

1. A break gauge equals every 40% of the unit’s or Hero’s maximum hit points, starting with 80% of max HP for the first break and then 40% of max HP for the second break.
  2. A break gauge takes 100% damage from all attack types and spells, and deals only 80% break damage when casting damaging spell against Heroes.
  3. A break gauge does have armor points equal to the unit or Hero having the break gauge.
  4. A break gauge does not have any break gauge regeneration.
  5. When the break gauge meter is full will cause the broken unit or Hero to take 100 spell damage as well as become stunned for 5 (3) seconds.
  6. The break gauge recovers back to zero when the broken effect has passed.
  7. Some new abilities and spells and items can increase break gauge damage resistance from health point increasing items and spells and other abilities.
  8. However, some new abilities and spells and items can also increase break gauge damage from health point damaging items and spells and other abilities.
  9. All buildings, and rare units, and very rare Heroes in official Ladder gameplay has Break Gauge Immunity that cannot become broken (Level 1.5 worth).
  10. Classified as a “reward” mechanic system that rewards players for their efforts when utilizing this system to their favor…
  11. Both enemies and allies applies the same Break Gauge conditions.

Break Gauge Based Spells And Abilities:

Break Coil (Spell 1 / Smartcast) - Increases an enemy unit’s break gauge.
Level 1 - 75 MP Cost, 100 Break Gauge Points, Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air, Organic. 900 Cast Range, 6 Seconds Cooldown.
Level 2 - 75 MP Cost, 200 Break Gauge Points, Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air, Organic. 900 Cast Range, 6 Seconds Cooldown.
Level 3 - 75 MP Cost, 300 Break Gauge Points, Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air, Organic. 900 Cast Range, 6 Seconds Cooldown.

Break Bolt (Spell 1 / Smartcast) - Increases an enemy unit’s break gauge and stuns the unit for 5 seconds.
Level 1 - 75 MP Cost, 100 Break Gauge Points, 5 (3) Seconds Stun Duration, Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air, Organic. 600 Cast Range, 9 Seconds Cooldown.
Level 2 - 75 MP Cost, 200 Break Gauge Points, 5 (3) Seconds Stun Duration, Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air, Organic. 600 Cast Range, 9 Seconds Cooldown.
Level 3 - 75 MP Cost, 300 Break Gauge Points, 5 (3) Seconds Stun Duration, Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air, Organic. 600 Cast Range, 9 Seconds Cooldown.

Anti-break Barrier (Spell 2 / Smartcast) - Creates a barrier that resists up to 400 break gauge damage upon a friendly unit. Can be dispelled. Lasts for 120 seconds.
Level 1 - 65 MP Cost, 400 Bonus Break Gauge For 120 Seconds Duration, Instant Cast, 900 Cast Range, Targets: Friendly, Neutral, Land, Air. 1 Second Cooldown.

Break Gauge Immunity (Skill 3 / Active) - Cannot become broken by attacks and spells.
Level 1.5 - Is Immune Against Breaking The Break Gauge.

Break Strike (Skill 3 / Active) - Gives a 15% chance to deal extra break gauge damage when attacking opponents.
Level 1 - 15% Chance To Deal 1.5 Times Break
Level 2 - 15% Chance To Deal 2.0 Times Break
Level 3 - 15% Chance To Deal 2.5 Times Break

Break Gauge Up (Skill 3 / Active) - Increases Break Gauge points by a percentage.
Level 1 - 10% Break Gauge Increase Of Self.
Level 2 - 20% Break Gauge Increase Of Self.
Level 3 - 30% Break Gauge Increase Of Self.

Break Arrow (Spell 2 / Allcast / Autocast Off) - Increases break gauge damage when attacking at the cost of mana.
Level 1 - 10 MP Cost, +25 Break Gauge Damage When Attacking, 600 Cast Range, Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air. No Cooldown.
Level 2 - 10 MP Cost, +50 Break Gauge Damage When Attacking, 600 Cast Range, Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air. No Cooldown.
Level 3 - 10 MP Cost, +75 Break Gauge Damage When Attacking, 600 Cast Range, Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air. No Cooldown.

Star Children (Spell 4 / Smartcast) - Calls down waves of falling stars that does break gauge damage to nearby enemy units. Each wave deals 50 break gauge damage. The time between waves is 1.5 seconds.
Level 6 - 130 MP Cost, 50 Break Gauge Damage Per Wave, 1.5 Seconds Wave Interval, 1000 Area Of Effect, Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air. 45 Seconds Duration, 100 Seconds Cooldown.

Break Filler (Spell 1 / Smartcast / Autocast On) - Fills an enemy unit’s break gauge by 200 points over 12 seconds. Can be dispelled.
Level 1 - 125 MP Cost, 200 Break Gauge Points Over 12 (12) Secs, Instant Cast, Can Be Dispelled, Targets: Enemy, Neutral, Land, Air, Organic. 900 Cast Range, 1 Sec Cd.

It can be fun to play theorycraft, but quite frankly as far as I am concerned this would just add a lot of needless complexity to the game for not a lot of benefit. The game already has a high enough skill ceiling, we don’t need more mechanics to make the game harder for novices.

2 Likes