Blizzards rabbithole of cheap quality and cost cutting

That might have been changed so as to allow anyone to host. With StarCraft II Blizzard hosts all the games. This also has additional security benefits since it obfuscates the IP addresses of users from each other.

Even if it did cost as little as that, it is still something executives would have issues justifying. Considering companies like Sony are shutting down the playstation store for older platforms and that makes them money

All big developers do that now pretty much. You will be hard pressed to find a big budget game released recently that has not done that.

I only own classic and have no issues loading up Warcraft III, joining custom games and playing. If the custom games are stable is another matter, but even owning Reforged will not fix that.

The WebUI seems to have performance issues on dual GPU systems, specifically those with Intel integrated graphics and a discrete GPU from AMD or Nvidia. The way it is configured causes it to default to software acceleration despite 2 capable GPUs being available. If development was not halted I am sure this would be solved by now.

Same reason a budget internet user might not be able to play online games because a hoard of other budget internet users are streaming content nearby. Sharing happens and if not at Blizzard’s level, it will be the connection in/out of the server centre that hosts the servers, or the nodes between that connection and the players, or the local ISP of the player, e.t.c.

Now companies like Amazon offer a solution to such problems with elastic clouds. However these are not at all economical to rely on compared with an owned server, and might be difficult to integrate with their current infrastructure.

This is highly off-topic… Such countries only make so much pollution because the rest of the world does not. For example making steel makes a lot of pollution, but most products made from steel use steel made in places like China, especially in Europe. The result is that countries like the UK which barely make any steel anymore have effectively transported their pollution to other countries like China since they still use steel. This does not just apply to steel or China, but many other industry chains and countries as well.

Such countries are also trying to turn the situation around. For example China has banned cryptocurrency mining, with cryptocurrencies like bitcoin using as much power as countries like Argentina. The west has still to apply such bans, at least on crypto currencies that have degenerate work spirals like bitcoin.

Your responses that include “everyone does it pretty much” is actually not a response, but a statement, and i’m not sure what i’m suppose to do with a statement. feel comfortable that “everyone modern company” is doing the same crap ? or somehow falsely conflate that to this specific project and remaster and ignore it ?

Owning is not the issue, i said people who can only run Classic as a GAME are often unable to get passed the main menu after booting up the game, your computer can most likely still run Reforged even though you choose to not own it. that is a big difference. people who can run Warcraft 3 in Classic Mode but are barred away because they can’t get passed the WebUI are literally scammed.

I read you, but it does not change my rationale, conflating the internet usage spike of an entire country or state to justify or excuse War3 to share servers with other games that negatively impact it are 2 very different worlds.

This is probably the same rationale you used when you said entire counteries can be at risk because of Warcraft 3 security risks.

Good, and your irrelevant excuse to save the environment and take one up for the world in the context of establishing better servers and connection quality for Warcraft III is LAUGHABLE.

Good job War3 community, saving the world right over here. where is my GND Medal of Honor.

1 Like

some dual gpu setup have no issues, like my asus with intel hd and nvidia gt 630m. the production of steel itself does not pollute, gathering the materials do. steel just have a high power consumption, like glass also do. the power can be produced environmentally friendly and the final process does not pollute.

I know for the Battlenet 2.0, but I was talking about the old one…

Indeed that’s the sad part…

An example is also the whole movies industry.

That moment nvidia will go bankrupt too, since it won’t be selling anymore 10 years old cards for $400^^

Besides that, you can produce bitcoin in China from US using a chinese botnet, but, you cannot share contents in US on a chinese network and if you think about all the totally useless contents of cats and boobs that are the so called social networks now and get multiplied every second on millions of servers just to let you see the nth stupid image in less than a second you will realize that the cryptocurrency bot pollutes just a microscopic fraction of it.

How comes that using a car produces global warming while having a serverfarm in Alaska to share stupid contents is ecofriendly?

Maybe let’s revise the thermodynimic cycle a little more…

You are assuming that outsourced products are inferior quality. Just because they are cheaper does not make them inferior, since they take advantage of different costs of living.

The reality is that a small development team cannot produce everything for a big game in house anymore. Each model might take days, or even weeks of work of an individual. Multiply that by thousands for a game like Warcraft III.

It is more likely such people will fail the x86-64 check, which all modern games have. The webUI stuff is not at all demanding if it runs with hardware acceleration, which even Hardware from 10 years ago should still be able to.

I never said that. I said that individuals running very old legacy builds, such as from early release discs, of Warcraft III will be at risk of being hacked while running it due to security exploits that are now fixed.

Actually crypto currencies pollute more. A lot more. Because unlike social media that still does a finite amount of work to service a customer, some (not all) crypto currencies have no limit on the amount of work they can sink. If resources allowed it, bitcoin mining could easily inflate to the stage that people use dyson spheres to collect energy to mine bitcoin. Already it was the case that in some countries bitcoin mines were buying cheap coal fired power just to mine bitcoin.

Some like Ether are trying to distance themselves from that problem. But the main ones like Bitcoin all rely on brute force proof of work that is adjusted by total work which encourages people to throw more and more power at the problem to earn money.

It depends where the power comes from. If all bitcoin mining was done with solar power it would not be an issue, in theory. But instead greed dictates that the most amount of cheapest power must be used to have the highest chance of earning parts of bitcoin.

However even if it was done with solar power, people would start cutting down rain forests to place more solar panels to mine more bitcoin. Hence why I refer to them as degenerate work spirals, since as long as there are two parties involved each will happily sacrifice all the resources in the universe just to have more work done than the other.

I never assumed outsourced work can not be quality, i just pointed out that the owning Company is always looking for a cheap way out without managing anything or providing the oversight required.

Outsourced work has one distinct disadvantage, disconnected from the same level of background information, mindset, and knowledge that is required, unless they are heavily monitored and managed.

My sentence remain perfectly within context when i state Blizzard just looks for a cheap way out and leaves the rest in the dust with no oversight.

I hope one day they will resolve this issue, people who can play Classic Mode should be able to. despite you or many others running in defense of WebUI, i dont at all think this is what War3 needed.

The original main menus literally have more 3D moving parts all dancing together without suttering, yet this new UI somehow manages to look like a poorly editted clunky youtube video, that has quite alot of issues with people,

YES YOU DID, dont you go in the mountains running away from me old man, or i’ll go dig out your post, you actually implied an entire country can be at risk by stating someone exploiting old computers and warcraft 3 security risks can shut down the power of a city.

That is the extent you went with your examples of what can those security risks cause. which is literal insanity. you have always overblown the potential risk for something just to look like a smart guy. its like an uncontrolable tick with you.

Stop conflating the fate of the worlds global warming, entire cities power going out, in the hands of war3 security risks and online servers being shared.

This is highly arguable, but I understand your point^^

I wonder if people really realize what this “chance”. There are almost even more chances for this game to be finished then to mine 10 bitcoins in a row… almost^^

The day some smart guy comes up with the reverse-hash function will be a funny day…

1 Like

I wish every employee was fired and Blizzard went under

1 Like

you get no arguments from me. maybe another company like rebellion can pick up the games and give them some love if blizzard goes under.