Apparently Dota [1] is banned under blizzard's new custom games accepable use policy

Only generic maps using Blizzard assets make sense. In that case there is nothing that you could use elsewhere anyway. But making any custom content of any type, including names, is crazy because you are locking yourself from ever being able to use them outside of a Blizzard platform.

No, you’re not. In fact, if you did that it would fall afoul of their custom games policy in regards to using copyrighted works, because you own the copyright to that music. Even if you, as the author, slapped that music in there, it does not become Blizzard’s music in the same way that if I slap the name Krillin in a custom game Blizzard doesn’t gain the copyright of that name from the creators of DBZ.

The EULA clearly disagrees with you, man.

“Without limiting the foregoing, you hereby assign to Blizzard all of your rights, title, and interest in and to all Custom Games, including but not limited to any copyrights in the content of any Custom Games.

:point_up_2:

And last I checked, music is content.

So what you’re saying, is that if I was to create a custom game, say, a Lord of the Rings game, and I was to create characters named Gandalf, Aragorn, Frodo, Saurman, Sauron etc, Blizzard would gain the copyrights to use those names despite having never done business with the Tokien Estate?

What about if I create a Mario game? If I create Mario in WC3, does Blizzard gain the trademark from Nintendo? Despite never having done business with them?

And I thought there was enough foolishness already on the internet.

You assume people will be permitted to distribute their maps outside a Blizzard-owned platform at all with Reforged.

Plenty of YouTube videos contain content that can never be commercialized or owned by the creator. Some people just like making stuff for fun and sharing it.

No because you cannot legally give Blizzard the ownership of any copyright that you do not hold. That does not apply to music that you created yourself since that is yours to give away.

That’s also not how copyright law works. I suggest you educate yourself on that before you swing in here spewing nonsense.

Last I checked, you needed to file a copyright for your work before it would ever apply to you anyway.

Since when do modders actually copyright their work? It’s easy pickings for Blizzard.

Well you are equating you giving away your copyright to you giving away the copyright of others… You are clearly the one not understanding law here.

Valve trash, she can not prohibit the use of what came before and for free. The bastards.
Ice frog selling creature.

You are missing a step. Blizzard have legal right to sue you to obtain 100% ownership. Indirectly they could sue whoever owns it, in return the person who does own it can sue you for damages that occurred when Blizzard sued them for ownership. It isn’t as simple as you think…

1 Like

You’re lynching the wrong person, dude.

All works are automatically copyrighted under the Berne Convention the moment they’re created, although you can file additional copyrights should you so choose.

So if I create a piece of music, it’s already copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention. If I want to, I can then go ahead and get additional copyright licenses for that work. This is the basis of copyright law, especially in the United States.

Somehow I doubt that’s actually something enforceable.

So you’re telling me I could go ahead and write that short story I’ve been sitting on for ages, self-publish it tomorrow without filing anything with the copyright office, and it’d STILL be copyrighted to me?

I highly doubt that.

If you work for a company, contractually they gain ownership of everything you create. Likewise, if you create anything with the world editor (that means inserting a music track and clicking save), Blizzard gains the ownership contractually.

And this is why I doubt a website like Hive Workshop will ever be able to host maps or anything for Reforged. Blizzard will want the monopoly on that so they can uphold their EULA.

1 Like

That is basically how my company works. They own the right to every thought in my head while at work.

Though in practice they allow employees to copyright their own work, but the company gets free use of it.

1 Like