Anyone got 1.30.2 working on Linux (WinE)?

Crap it doesn’t work for me anymore…
It complains “Warcraft 3 was unable to initialize DirectX”.
Not sure if it’s because of something I did or just the latest update.
I’ll investigate.

Just do the following from clean slate:

• # apt install --install-recommends winehq-staging winbind winetricks
  • $ export WINEARCH=win32
  • $ winetricks --gui and choose select the default wine prefix
    • Install a font and install corefonts (click OK on alerts)
    • Install a Windows DLL or Component and install ie8 and vcrun2015
  • $ winecfg and set to Windows Version: Windows 7 and in graphics tab to Emulate Virtual Window 800x600
  • Download and run the battlenet app with wine, login, keep running and
  • Check that your /etc/hosts has 127.0.0.1 localhost (i had disabled that, can’t remember why)
  • Download Warcraft 3 Setup and run with wine (installation takes some time)
  • Choose Launch in the window after installation
  • The “warcraft iii cdkey required” window will be blank, move it to the very left and very right to fill it.
  • Choose enter cd key
  • Enter cd key (you need a valid key of course) and press ok
  • After that you can $ winecfg and disable emulate desktop in graphics tab again
  • Play …

… and give <3 <3 <3 to blizzard for patching this amazing game!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, these instructions work for me.

However, I found a few steps are not necessary:

• This works well with a 64 bit prefix, so export WINEARCH=win32 can be dropped.
  • The ie8 and vcrun2015 DLLs/components are not required, so that step can also be dropped.

Beyond that, thanks a lot for pointing out the blank cdkey window workaround, as that was very much not obvious to me.

One more issue popped up that I found a workaround for:

• I could not select any resolution options after launching the game (was stuck at 1024x760). This can be fixed by adding the command line option -nativefullscrr when launching the game binary (found that workaround here: Blizzard Forums).

Everything seems to be working fine now.

Hello! I followed pantoffel’s guide. I got warcraft 3 installed, but when i try and launch the game, I get the following error: “Warcraft was unable to initialize. Error 0”. Does anyone have any experience with this?

1 Like

OMG, its working! I’ve successfully entered cd keys using this trick.

Works on Ubuntu 18.04 very nice job! Thx <3

Did you ever manage to figure this out? I’m seeing the same thing using the latest wine version (4.2).

Hi everyone,
I just bought reforged and unfortunately classical WCIII doesn’t work for me. I stuck on CDKey window, but it’s completely frozen and I’m not able to move it :frowning: Virtual window option doesn’t help at all.
Do anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

I still can’t make it work, can we get an updated and tested guide?

Followed Pantoffel’s guide above, but I still get the error 0 initialization error as others have mentioned. I make sure that the Bnet program is running first, then I try War3. Running the latest Manjaro.

I wrote an installer for Lutris because I was facing problems installing the newest patch. You can find it on the lutris homepage. Search for frozen throne and then check for unpublished installers (can’t link to it - sorry).
It worked for me but feedback from others would be appreciated since it’s my 1st installer I wrote.

EDIT: lutris,net/games/warcraft-iii-the-frozen-throne/

2 Likes

What problems do you have with linking it? I could help you.

It tells me that I cant post links here. Are you allowed to post urls?

EDIT: Nvm. I edited my original post with the url

Yes, I am allowed to post full links. It takes a fair bit for new people to get to that point.
But there is a workaround: Paste the link into the reply box, highlight it and then press Ctrl+Shift+C to wrap it in a code block.
lutris.net/games/warcraft-iii-the-frozen-throne/
Like so.
But imma just paste it as is for those who wanna get there quick

1 Like

I’ll try it when I get home tonight.

This installer will install the battlenet client first. Log in before you proceed with the wc3 installer and keep the the client running. When you come to the key window move it around and at some point you will see where to enter your key

I believe you can also place two files roc.w3k and tft.w3k next to the Warcraft III.exe and not get asked for your keys. Those are simple text files with the key in plain text.

On a different topic: Does the game work for anyone with the 1.31 patch? For me it always crashes before showing the main menu, but the intro video works.

I just installed it via lutris and it is working for me. Check the install directory. You need to launch a different exe now

Looked over the script and it looks good. Amazing how smooth it is now with Vulkan :grin:

1 Like

Thanks, I tried tried the lutris installer and it does work with dxvk.

I guess the trick was to use another wine version.
The lutris installer uses wine tkg-4.0, and I was trying with staging 4.9. The 1.30.x versions worked fine with staging 4.9 though.

1 Like