An excerpt from IGN's new report on Blizzard

(…)Toward the end of the year, Blizzard realized that Warcraft 3 Reforged — which had been hastily announced the year before to cover the gap in its release schedule — was in deep trouble. Developers across multiple teams were pulled in to try and save it, crunching to try and get the remaster at least into a condition where it could be shipped, multiple sources say. The backlash that followed was severe, and the team responsible for its development was reportedly dismantled later that year.(…)

link:www.ign.com/articles/special-report-the-inside-story-of-blizzards-departures-and-a-company-at-a-crossroads

2 Likes

Nice, IGN came to the conclusion that the community did, they’re just a year and a half late. and were directly responsible in trying to cover up by giving a 7/10.

IGN should go work as Blizzard official propaganda wing. or EA.

15 Likes

Honestly not only IGN… there were also a bunch of lifeless nerds that did the same…

4 Likes

Most websites gave the game a 6/10 or higher. Closer to 8/10 on some sites. The problem is that they were mostly giving it high marks because of what Warcraft 3 WAS. I don’t think the gameplay was analyzed from the perspective of someone who was playing Warcraft 3 for almost a decade and their perfectly-functioning client was removed from them and replaced with this hot pile of garbage.

What I find most astounding is IGN’s lack of depth on the outsourcing in Warcraft 3 Reforged with respect to the models (though they do go on at length about Diablo Immortals being outsourced to Netease). The question for me, if I were an IGN reporter, would be to ask who was responsible for the decision to outsource the remastering of Warcraft 3’s models to a Malaysian studio which had never worked with Warcraft 3’s assets before and was, clearly, given NO creative direction on their completion. My guess is that the development team, the scapegoat, probably wasn’t responsible for that decision.

However…IGN doesn’t want to become Icarus. If they stray too close to the truth (I mean. . . the sun. . .), daddy Kotick might clip their wings.

3 Likes

You do well not to mention the Lemon models issue.
Because then everyone will go out and say “it’s Lemon’s fault, not blizzard’s.” When it’s Blizzard’s fault for not ordering the right models from Lemon

1 Like

Yea, that’s the sad part. Everyone is like “ra-ra-ra! LemonSky bad! Asian studios bad! Cheap work!”

…no. The work is actually REALLY good. When you look at the models from a first person view, they are great.

But… WC3 is not a first person game. And the World of Warcraft, hyper-detailed artistic design is not in keeping with Warcraft 3.

For whatever reason, no one told these things to LemonSky and Blizz decided to just say “ok, screw it, let’s just go with these. I’m sure it’ll be FINE…”

1 Like

Lemon studio models were made to show off in the cinematics they presented. If they had read all the cinematics as promised we would be all the fans loving the new models and only the pro ones would use the old ones for efficiency.

Although I agree that they should have followed the style of W3. Basically they destroyed their best game to hide that they did not scare anything. And it seems they did so badly that now even their employees don’t want to work with them.

Literally the only model I didn’t like was the moonkin. It doesn’t look like a damn moonkin, I don’t know WHAT that thing is but it ain’t it, chief.

Huh, they were giving it a 8/10 because they were either paid to or because the libbies stick together and can’t talk bad about each other(See Joe Rogan go on for a long time about how Cuomo was throwing around 100lb real dumbbell that was clearly fake, or watch the entire media structure lie from 2015-2021 about literally everything). No site based their review off of 2001 War3.

2 Likes

Was there a shipping of anything?
What is meant by this digital game being shipped?

It still counts as shipping whether it’s digital or not. “Shipping” in this case means “delivering it to the public.”

2 Likes

And even that’s not correct in my opinion, The “Was” Warcraft III is a pure legendary seal 10/10 game. MAYBE 9/10 if someone is being skeptical like there is no tomorrow.

War3 had such a respect from people, that even individuals like the owner of the SkillUP Channel admitted that he bought into the pre-order hype even though he was a hardcore anti pre-order person.

A respect that now lies in ruins.

2 Likes

Why’s that?

1 Like

Indeed, I’m wondering why the respect for the original would be in ruins when it’s the new version that’s crap.

In fact I’d say it’s the opposite even. The original’s reputation kinda skyrockets in my eyes.

4 Likes

Agreed, Roga. I still only play the original version now.

1 Like

Retera, how can you still be defending WC3 Reforged. Look at the custom maps lists, that actually shows you what’s being played. NO ONE is playing Reforged maps, the game is an utter failure.

1 Like

Huh? I don’t see one of those. I have only General Discussion and Custom Games and these other categories. Are you talking about that webpage that has to be downloaded as a standalone application and then logged into and then clicked on an icon and then clicked on as a Play button and then logged into again and then it crashes and then I click the Play button again and then I log in again and then I click the Custom Game button and then I search a list??

I remember using that web page a while ago but it wasn’t as convenient as this forum site, so then, if that was what you were talking about I don’t think I’ve used that in a long time.

Last night I played some Warcraft III. I doubled clicked an executable of my mod and then I clicked Single Player and then I clicked Custom Game and I played as the Enlightened Tide. Then I recompiled the MPQ “War3Mod.mpq” with a new version of one of the hero models where I upgraded his death animation. Then I clicked the executable of the game again, then Single Player, then Custom Game, then I launched the game and used the hero with upgraded model. It was fun. Doesn’t seem like a problem with custom games to me.

Defending this forum thing called Reforged helps me feel like I am thonking for myself! I mean during the many years of hard work a lot of people reached out to me who were making the Reforged and asked me for tips. Often I gave them bad advice because I’m a lazy hobbyist. And they almost always took my bad advice seriously and put that into the game, even like that one time in 2017 when they asked me for an AI that could input SC2 “War3HD” farseer, and old WC3 farseer, learn how to upscale, then upscale all assets. I said, I don’t think it’s very feasible, so just pay some artists. Then they did! Thanks LemonSky!
And it’s that same sense of all my bad ideas and bad suggestions come to see the light of day that is here in this chatroom with us today. I can feel it in the air! Like a light snow that falls on your fingertips after a harsh blizzard.
So, I defend Reforged sometimes because I know that even though I never believed in what they were doing, and by summer 2018 I published a YouTube video titled Please Save Warcraft 3 because of how talking to them made me feel about the future, even despite it all, in the end they still persevered and believed in themselves, and they kept doing what they thought people wanted instead of what was profitable, up until the bitter end when they had to convert Patch 1.31 into Patch 1.32.
I have very fond memories of playing Patch 1.31. That is Reforged. That patch is the Reforged team’s work. It’s amazing what a couple of guys going unnoticed by their overlords were able to pull off behind the backs of my former WoW dealership who have an army of lawyers standing by at any moment ready to defend the fact that they own my childhood and I do not.

Yeah, I can defend Reforged. You can accuse me of that. It’s okay. Sometimes I even use that other webpage with all the logins and that picture of a flag. Other times I play Warcraft III. I think it’s best to entertain yourself when we’re on a forum like that, and it entertains me to post opposing views to learn more about what the people here believe. Who is human? Who is a bot? Who is a human whose mind is being driven in response to messages posted by a bot? Whoever can say for sure?

2 Likes

Retera why you defend Reforged!? How can you sir!? I see you are posting on Diablo 2 Reforged trying to warn them also! No. Shut up, this is great company, Diablo 2 Reforged will be a great game!

I am Reforged!!

1 Like

You wonder how to make Diablo 2 not be received as W3 Reforged.
I give you a clue. FINISH THE GAME.
As of today there are bugs and scenes without dialogues in W3Reforged.
A few days ago I said “And if I give the Reforged another chance” of 6 games, I am disconcerted 4. I am going to the campaign and the mission that I had to do (Maiev’s second) It has no dialogue.
Close W3R and go to another game.

1 Like

Sounds like they had no idea what they were doing. Let alone to ask a hobbyist for programming advice in the first place. But that would explain all the bugs they’ve caused and things they broke ever since the game started getting updates again. It wasn’t just patch 1.32, 1.28 - 1.31 introduced plenty of bugs too. But it could also be why certain features were removed in 1.32; their inability to convert them over.

It is strange to be defending Reforged while supposedly predicting that Diablo 2 Resurrected will fail just as badly. These posts of his sound like either trolling or an obsession. There is pretty much no way that Resurrected will get as bad a reception as Reforged did. It was unprecedented. A near 0 score on metacritic and that Blizzard felt the need to give unconditional refunds. But that’s because its issues were also pretty unprecedented: Seemingly false promises, removing core existing features, bugs, less optimization and essentially overwriting the original game and with its big size to boot. Potentially also the unfaithfulness of the Reforged unit models and their indistinctness compared to the original ones.

If anything Diablo 2 Resurrected is shaping up to get a reception more like Starcraft Remastered, which was nowhere near as bad to say the least. Like with Starcraft Remastered, models are more faithful (despite some notable controversial differences), there’s been less new bugs leading up to the release, game balance is staying the same (for now at least), and Resurrected is even going to be completely separate so the original Diablo 2 will still exist. There’s also no evidence that major features will be removed or that any of their main promises won’t be delivered. Even if some minor things ended up getting removed or not delivered, that’s still far from enough to be as big a disaster as Reforged.

1 Like