A suggestion to Flamestrike

Flamestrike is a bit of an underwhelming spell overall, but it´s not easy to fix, since it can easily become overpowered (in destroying haunted gold mines for example). Here´s what I suggest:

1- make it so that you can´t make the bloodmage do anything else while channeling, in order to avoid losing 135 mana in such a terrible way when you do it, usually by mistake. This would benefit every HU player because that can happen even to pros, in very demanding circunstances sometimes.

2- units immediately hit by it should be stunned for about 1 second (or maybe less if that´s too much), because: a - right now flamestrike is simply too much dodgeable, and b - as HU you only have the MK as a unit able to interrupt channeling spells. That would bring more variety and make the spell more balanced at the same time IMO.

What do you think? Any other ideas to fix the spell? Decreasing the mana cost would just make it abuseable IMO.

1 Like

To avoid this, immediately after giving the command to cast it, Shift-click away.

The stun would not work - what does “immediately hit” mean? The spell does equally high damage during each of the first three seconds. If any of the ticks stunned a unit when it hit it for the first time, it would be a mess.

I meant that only units inside the damage area would be stunned, when the spell hits and the damage actually starts. If a unit enters the spell área afterwards, It would still take damage but not be stunned. So It would be a 1 sec stun only, and only to units inside the spell area at its beginning

Ik right such an easy spell to dodge. Also if u miss cast which happens ok. IT DOES.

Then u waste 135 mana. So make him OP said unable to act anything else when moving, i agree with tht.

Idk about stun but a heavy slow could work. Makes more sense lore wise (Runes slowing down units) or you can have a stun aswell i guess.

Favouring the slow. Because in a 2v2 flame(stun)+mountain giant taunt could hypothetically be nasty. (With the stun suggestion). But with a slow some units could escape doom :slight_smile:

1 Like
  • I agree, it shouldn’t be possible to cast a spell and have it not actually go off. I don’t think there are any other spells like this in game.
  • I don’t agree with stun/slows though. A full Flamestrike hits more than stormbolt. You should move out of it.

Reduce the cast time to 0.5 seconds and make Blood Mage unable to move during that time.

1 Like

A better solution to the problem would be to refund half of the mana cost if the spell is cancelled, so maybe like 65 mana is spent when you first cast the spell and the other 70 mana is spent once the spell is actually effectively doing damage

Its possible to cancel any of the following spells immediately after casting: Blizzard, Reign of Fire, Siphon Mana, Life Drain, Healing Spray, Staff of TP, Mass Teleport, BigbadVoodoo, Earthquake, Volcano, Stampede, Tornado, Possession, even WW can be canceled if you use an item accidentally

the benefit of Flamestrike is that it continues burning after the Bloodmage has finished casting… but theres really no reason why can we cancel a Mass TP

1 Like