[WINE] Can't play the game after last update

Ok, I’m fairly aware you have no plans of supporting linux, neither for your launcher nor your games, but I’ve been able to play remastered after hours of workarounds in order to be able to play the game both in sp and mp, but after the update from a couple of days ago, I can’t play at all, the game will crash either on startup or when loging in the game, and the couple of times it works, it won’t be able to render the menus of singleplayer nor the gateway selection in multiplayer, so I can’t play your game. I resorted to playing the copy I have of 1.16.1 that plays flawlessly. Dunno this post will get anywhere, but trying it’s free

I made a guide, with the guidance of @Tohoko, for personal use, on how to get SC:R to run on Linux about 3 months ago. Maybe this will help you make it work.

I’m not using Linux anymore, so I can’t help you by testing SC:R out.
Let me know if this was of help.

Guide:

============================================================

Lutris guide for SC 1 on Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS x64

Apps versions at the moment of making this tutorial

Battle.net App version: 1.33.7.12803

Battle.net Update Agent version: 2.24.1.17342

Starcraft versions: 1.23.8.9411

Install wine:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Download

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key

sudo apt-key add winehq.key

sudo add-apt-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ focal main'

sudo apt update

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable

Install Lutris:

https://lutris.net/downloads/

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lutris-team/lutris

sudo apt update

sudo apt install lutris

Install Starcraft:

Open Lutris, on the left side you can find “Runners” group, there you can find “Wine”.

Click the book icon next to cogwheel.

Tick “lutris-5.7-11” “x86_64”, hit “OK”

Now click the cogwheel for Wine.

In “Runner options”, go to “Wine version” and select “lutris-5.7-11-x86_64”

Then make sure “Enable DXVK/VKD3D” is on.

Make sure “Windowed (virtual desktop)” is on.

Hit “Save”.

Now, back to Lutris’ main interface, on the left side you can find “Sources” group, there you can find “Lutris”.

Select Community installers.

Search for: Blizzard Battle.net

Hit “Install”.

On the dialog, click “Cache” and set a folder up. I set “/home/your_user_name/Downloads/Lutris downloads”. Click “X”.

Back on the dialog, click “Install” for “Standard”. Hit “Install” once again. Hit “Continue”.

Battle.net app is now installing. Hit “Continue” on Bnet app.

Input your credentials in Bnet app.

Close “Scan For Games”.

Now install “Starcraft”. Hit “Start Install”

Exit Bnet app after it finishes installing.

Wait until Lutris pops a dialog box saying “Installation completed!”. Tick “Create desktop shortcut” and hit “Close”.

Go to Lutris main interface and go to “Games”.
Select “Bnet app”, and down at the bottom, click the up pointing arrow next to the glass and select “Wine configuration” > “Applications” tab > Make sure “Windows Version” is set to “Windows 10”

Hit “Ok”.

Once back to “Games”, hit “Play”.

Now Bnet app should launch in a virtual desktop. Hit “Play” for Starcraft and wait 2-3 minutes until it launches. This time Starcraft will run.

1. Don’t enable Bonjour service! If you enable it, you won’t be able to connect to gateways. That’s what happened to me at least.

============================================================

I just talked to Tohoko and he had let me know that he couldn’t see any text in SC:R due to latest patch, but the game is still playable.

The thing is, that’s the setup I followed back in the day to make it work, and I couldn’t log in to online play unless I used wine 4.15.

Now, after the last update, on wine 4.15 the behaviour was:
Missing text on both the episode selection screens, and the LAN/UDP screen for multiplayer (program would hang when reaching this point).

Switching to 6.1 (My system wine), would fix the issue with the text/graphic issues and let me play singleplayer for a couple of days, but then the game started crashing on the loading screen or when logging in the game.

the lutris output log says there was a call for an unimplemented function uxtheme.dll.IsThemeApplied, but I’m not even sure if that’s a normal thing, because I never checked the logs before it started having issues.

Open the launcher and change the region from America to Asia by click on the world button on top of “Play” that will downgrade to the last working patch that you already know works flawlessly on your Setup.

3 Likes

Ah, I see.

If blueberry’s advice doesn’t work out, I suggest getting in touch with the guys at Wine/Lutris, since I don’t know how to further help.

I already tried, but the problem still happens. Did anybody find the solution?

This works. Switch to Asia, update and then just play in the asia region.

Selecting Asia and clicking “Upgrade” downgraded me to 1.23.8.9411 and works great for LAN connections once again. Thank you !!!

Changing the region to asia definitely worked! Thank you!

great! this brought back all the menus, now I can play successfully.

does anybody know what’s going on and why menus in SC:R are blank sometimes? I experienced that few times on windows, too.

Maybe they have updated the SceneCefBrowser, which draws the battle.net menus and buttons. For some reason it does not work with wine. (I had the same issue, but changing the region to Asia has fixed it). When it does not start, there are no texts in battle.net. It is the buggiest thing that I have seen and causes 90% of the issues. I also had an issue with it under Windows 7, a year ago and it was caused by missing service pack.

1 Like

The thing fixed 1min+ UI windows load for me:

WineHQ Bug Tracking Database
Bug 43011
StarCraft Brood War 1.18 significant delays in CEF Browser

Just wanted to update a workaround, it seems like the issue is that the API that Blizzard are using (is probably Winhttp) which ends up doing DNS lookups for wpad, which simply times out.

A simple solution that worked for me was to add to /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 wpad
127.0.0.1 wpad.lan

2 Likes