Why SC:R SD Graphics look worse than 1.16.1 upscaled to the same resolution?

I know this was mentioned a lot and the answers were something to do with different scaling. Here I checked for the same resolution 1280x960 with proportional 1:2 scaling for both game clients and here is the proof (fix google drive link required): drive. google .com/file/d/1VUtNMZmjSXX9KeH5zgnwy-imj4lZqgAV/view

Download it and open original, pay attention to highlighted parts and how colors are different between them. Some details are lost and colors look desaturated. I wonder why is that? Is there an easy way to fix it so it looks closer to the original?

8 Likes

answer is simple: to force u to pay 15 eu.
btw even the slider they introduced for sd still doesnt make the game looks the way it used to (for what u originally have paid years ago)
if u intend playing sd, i advice u to get a crt monitor

4 Likes

CRT monitor won’t fix broken color saturation & some details are missing from the original (like a spike on top of the hatchery on the screenshot).

I would gladly pay twice or three times 15 EU just to get better SD graphics port. Money is not an issue here. Some people support BW community casts and tournaments with much bigger money. For the game that’s 20 years old and still kicking it’s a no-brainer.

The issue is the small dev team and too much stuff to work on that’s higher priority. I just want to make sure “they notice” and add this to the backlog for the future.

6 Likes

I’ve been bringing this concern (plus widescreen mode for SD) for ages, since PTR, launch - 2017, but devs gave zero answers and continue ignoring this issue till this day. At least they could add fixing it to priorities list but they don’t even wanna do that. Why I should play the game which I played for 15 years with worse original, legendary graphics?

Like you said - if you they revert back sharpness of graphics and add SD mode widescreen (which could be accomplished easy before since there were little tools such as ResolutionHack to do that) I’m ready to pay 15 or even more bucks instantly.

This is a good link showing even better quality of SD graphics, if they can achieve it, oh my god, I’ll lose my mind. Starcraft Forums

It would be nice if you link this on 2019 priorities list topic.

6 Likes

Agree with everything posted here, another big failure by Blizzard

3 Likes

From what I have seen the dithering on the legacy art seems to be messed up. Judging from your screenshot and several that i have taken, the dithering in SC:R is much different in some cases than original SC. This causes such a big difference in some cases, such as that the white looks more like a pale green or grey rather than the white look it had in SC.

3 Likes