Turn rates, matchmaking, and you

Hello, I have a couple of questions:

1. If matchmaking is global right now, why have i just waited almost 900 seconds in queue only to get another non-korean after that time? Time in Korea was 2 am (still plenty of them active).
  2. Dynamic Turn Rate often gets too high in ladder. As a result, the game is running not truly at Fastest speed. Why does it have to be so? To fix this too high TR, one needs to either alt-tab for a second or change the latency for one step higher.
  3. As I’m from Europe, when I play against Koreans, I get TR14 low, TR20 high or TR24 extra high (first two options require using trick from point 2). Wouldn’t it be best for foreigner players to set default latency to extra high if the connection between two players is worse than 200?
4 Likes

As a matter of fact, i think is time for “Extra High Latency” to be set as default as you say if the connection between 2 players is worse than 200, but again if for some reason people would like to disable this and make it manual they should have that option also.

I support this 100% and its a great idea as far as i can tell.

This was an excellent post and very well explained, thanks Grant.

Thanks to the latest changes it seems now everyone gets to play Koreans, because of their largest population on the server. While this is probably great for strong players, not all noobs are very happy with this, including me. It really made my experience of the game less enjoyable when sudden switch from 100-130 APM to 200+ APM on low E-level occured, and I can hit people of my strength only in half of the games at best, because server continues to think that pairing me constantly vs Koreans is the most optimal and fastest option…

Is there a chance that Blizzard would allow player to choose particular server / servers people from which he would like to play with?

Bonyth. The connection from your home country to your country of is probably horrendous. It’s often more efficient, to route from Europe, across the Atlantic, through America, and across the pacific to Korea than it is to go from Europe through Russia to Korea. There’s really nothing bLiZzArD can do about that. A vpn may be able to find a faster route than your isp, but that’s on a case by case basis.

You rock btw, I hope something can get figured out so that we can watch you play Koreans with a good connection

@ 유승곤: TR24 is the fastest that the game engine can support. In order to support a higher TR, we’d need to make (significant) changes to the game engine itself, and this is not only a very large task, but it’s risky, since it may change the way the game plays. I don’t think it’s worth it for us to take this risk with the engine.

@Bonyth:

1. This is because your latency to Korea is 300+ ms, which puts you into the TR8 category to Korea. The matchmaker prefers a higher TR than that, which means it’s very difficult to get matched to Korea for you.
  2. The DTR system adjusts based on the number of times the game has to pause to receive network updates (which is a reflection of current latency). On a connection where the latency changes a lot, it can be difficult to find the right value. In any case, this is good feedback and we can continue to tweak it.
  3. This is also good feedback. Previously we’ve heard that players would rather play on a lower TR at Low Latency than a higher TR at Extra High Latency.
4 Likes

Would like to express my gratitude for all the guys working on SC Remastered. I really appreciate it.

Bonyth is a high tier foreigner player and I also would like to bridge the gap between Koreans and foreigners.

I understand a constant high latency with Koreans but I’ve played with them since Fish and Brain server. Most of the time there isn’t an issue unless someone’s internet is truly unreliable and unstable.

(Generally there isn’t an issue. TR 16 & TR 12 even TR 10 would be great for me. Anything better than old Bnet lat.)

Just some input from me I suppose.

Thanks again.

Hi Grant, I would just like to add that I would much rather play at a lower TR with low latency than high TR with high latency.

Having inputs make sense in the context of when I clicked with what is going on on-screen at the time of input makes more sense than playing with high latency where I pull the ling back that a zealot is hitting and it just dies due to the delay between input and resolution.

Side-note, I don’t think in-game players should be able to change latency (at least for ladder games), I think that’s too much power to give players and it’s hard to come to agreement with opponents what is an appropriate latency to use. I think that the DTR system works really well, and the manual player based latency adjustment is an antiquated system (which honestly just devolves into a war with the opponent going into the menu to change it back and forth). Also low and high latency favors different races, zerg CAN NOT go muta on extra high latency (or even high), protoss zealots are much hard to face with ling/hydra on high latencies too. I’ve seen opponents 2gate and then turn the latency to extra high for an edge in the rush. I don’t think the game should allow for a built-in lag switch.

1 Like

Just a comment on Bonyth’s 300+ms TR8 issue.

Does current matchmaker eliminates TR8 games altogether or it’s just low priority? If it does that I believe could be changed to low priority. TR8 games are better than no games, and Koreans can occasionally get a very laggy game. Because of higher population I believe it’s lower chance for a given player in Korea to get Bonyth all the time on ladder.

P.S. Don’t forget how we used to play with 56K modems and GPRS internet back in the day. :smiley:

whais the difference between starcraft brood war and remastered

Same game, but remaster added nice modern graphics, a modern 16:9 aspect ration, a ladder, key rebinding, and other new features.

It does not eliminate TR8 games, but it will prefer higher TR games if possible. That’s why it will be very difficult to match vs Korea at TR8 - Korea can pretty easily get TR16+ games, so it’s unusual for a player in Korea to be waiting long enough to accept a TR8 game.

2 Likes

I’m seriously disappointed with being matched with Africans while playing in East EU.

I don’t know if it’s me being drunk or after last small patch the game runs so smoothly, I’m talking menu, bnet game itself o.O
Thanks for constant work on this awesome game!:slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m having a bit of trouble understanding exactly how the TR affects the game and what it means. The way I understand it, a turn is not the same as a game tick or frame, but a variable time period where inputs from players are collected. Based on the TR, these turns are then processed and each input is applied to the game over a number of game ticks.
Is this correct? If so, what I really wanted to know was:

1. How is the correct tick and order of action chosen, by timestamp?

2. How is the actual delay in ticks between me sending an action and the game performing the action calculated?

This doesn’t make a lot of sense. Bonyth is the top foreign player, pretty much everybody watches his stream, and can confirm this: “I get TR14 low, TR20 high or TR24 extra high”. How is he a tr8 user if he can get that kind of connection with the vpn? This just means the ping server / procedure you use is not very reliable at all.

Thanks for the post. I often highly reduce it to explain to people in-game (with the limited chat system):

Lower latency setting: More responsiveness, more chance for stuttering
Higher turn rate setting: More responsiveness, more chance for stuttering

Far too many people are still in the mindset that every game must open up by setting Extra High Latency… as if we’re still in the dial-up days… and they call me a liar when I say that going to Low Latency will make the game a better experience!

2 Likes

I hate that Sato, you start a game turn rate is 20 everything is perfect and the bastard changes to Extra High Latency. I hate it, i dont see a solution for this i am afraid…

Glad to see you guys working on remastered, but for me I’m not sure how much longer I can play ladder. When I had TR 24 games it was manageable, even if at S rank I was playing the same 7-10 people on a regular basis. Now its almost unplayable, what used to be hours of laddering is now 3 games at TR 10 which to me honestly isn’t even starcraft. It’s kind of insane, I think this needs to be thought out a little better.

1 Like

Honestly I think im done with your ladder. I live in California and almost any time of the day 9/10 games will be vs korea and im playing on tr12 or 14 at best. I will gladly wait in a longer que to actually be able to play this game. Tr 12 or 14 is not starcraft.