ScmDraft 2 doesn't open anymore

Everytime I try to open ScmDraft 2, I always get the same error message that says, “04:23:52.0273 - Error::nable to initialize scmdraft’s game engine!
(hr = 0x80070002)
Launch with the -console command line for detailed error info.”

I use the console command and I get the following:

**Console - (ENGINE) Preparing to launch ScmDraft 2.**

** ScmdraftApplication - 04:27:54.0899 - Debug::Creating the application instance.**
** ScmdraftApplication - 04:27:54.0903 - Debug::Running FinalConstruct().**
** ScmdraftApplication - 04:27:54.0912 - Debug::Running profile select window.**
** Settings - 04:28:02.0746 - Debug::Unable to read the starcraft path from the 1.16 location.**
** Settings - 04:28:02.0753 - Debug::Unable to read the starcraft path from the 1.16 location.**
** ScmdraftApplication - 04:28:02.0771 - Debug::Initializing the main editor engine.**
** ScmdraftApplication - 04:28:02.0779 - Info::(ENGINE) Using the Matt profile.**
** ScmdraftApplication - 04:28:02.0784 - Debug::Creating the game data holder.**
** ScmdraftApplication - 04:28:02.0787 - Debug::Initializing and loading data MPQs.**
** DataAccessor.CASC - 04:28:02.0909 - Debug::Opened CASC storage located at: C:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft**
** ScmdraftApplication - 04:28:02.0916 - Debug::Loading data files and string tables.**
** GameData - 04:28:02.0922 - Debug::Preparing to load starcraft datafiles.**
** GameData - 04:28:02.0934 - Debug::Initializing the animation data.**
** GameData - 04:28:02.0938 - Debug::Loading graphic files.**
** GameData - 04:28:03.0027 - Debug::Loading font files.**
** DataAccessor - 04:28:03.0033 - Warning::Unable to load a file (SD\unit\cmdbtns\cmdicons.grp) from the CASC storage.**
** GameData - 04:28:03.0040 - Warning::Could not load the ‘unit\cmdbtns\cmdicons.grp’ graphic from the data store. (hr=0x80070002, CDataFiles.cpp, 243)**
** GameData - 04:28:03.0049 - Warning::Loading the command icons failed! (hr=0x80070002, CDataFiles.cpp, 207)**
** ScmdraftApplication - 04:28:03.0055 - Error::nable to initialize scmdraft’s game engine! (hr = 0x80070002)**
Launch with the -console command line for detailed error info.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, but it still keeps doing that. At this point, I’m stumped on how to fix this issue. Any ideas?

1 Like

The latest SC patch renamed a required datafile.

The newest build from here works with the patch.

1 Like

Thanks! Already fixed thanks to you!

I just installed the newest version (2019.08.24) but get the same error.

I believe the problem is that the current build of the program has been corrupted by a software-breaking bug or something. The build I download that was functional is a previous version of the program. I know that because selecting the option to update the program results in saying there’s a more recent version of the program (which is the corrupted version). In the link provided above by Sinsanity, there should be a .zip file download link that gives you the more functional version of SCMDraft 2. Again, it’s not the latest version, but it’s the most current one that actually works and is not corrupted.

The two newest alphas should work, as should the official release (as of yesterday - I hotfixed that)

Could you say why you suspect that to be corrupted? It works for me.

so i have to download from a third party website a fix for the bundled ‘improved’ map editor?

I think you misunderstood something.

I thought it was corrupted because when I tried using the previous version, it worked just fine, but when I click on “check for updates” and apply the most recent update that the program found, suddenly, I get the error that I described above that is preventing me from opening the program. That’s why I thought the latest update at the time was corrupted. Because the program on the latest version would show that error, compared to the previous version of the program, which does not have that problem.

Now thankfully, as of this post that I wrote here, I just tested the latest version of the program and now it opens properly instead of refusing to open. So this issue is now moot. I’m just describing what was going on with SCMDraft 2 at the time when I posted about the error and got the temporary fix.

1 Like

I hotfixed the download. However, everything older than the latest two alphas and the hotfixed release should be seeing that error, and the two latest alphas should not be showing a newer version available unless I messed something up.

2 Likes

I’m getting the same error, even from the updated version. I had to reinstall the original StarCraft from my old CDs to get access to the original StarEdit to edit my maps. Blizzard needs to bring back their own editor.

1 Like

Blizzard deleted data files required by the map editor in the latest patch. Somebody else mentioned patching on the asia realm fixes this.

1 Like