Saying goodbye to Brood War

No ill feelings, the brood war players I played with, it was fun. Was always secretly hoping a bigger player base would grow but it never happened; Anyways see ya.

8 Likes

Could I ask about the reasons of your decision? (I mean if they are Starcraft related, like your post about limiting account/profile creaton earlier - with which I 100% agree and brought it up as well)

I said the same thing several years ago and here i am, i might not play every single day, but it is installed… and it will until the day that i die.

So no goodbye, that is not possible, Starcraft Broodwar is not fashion.

@Sinclair
I’m a person who likes to ladder in 1v1’s, the player base is so low in BW. I even tried VPN to Korea before the big patch and played during prime korean hours. there was still alot of players not truly in the range the rank indicated. And coming from Sc2 the playerbase is bigger so the ladder experience is better when comparing; match ups are more accurate. I even played in 3rd party BW leagues to look for an answer, but smurfing was there as well to gain easy wins for them.

Dude, believe it or not, but nobody wants to smurf against an F ranked player. Nobody.

Perhaps might have had the idea before, that some players in F rank have actually some nice understanding about certain parts of the game versus absolutely none in the other, looking like there must be a smurf when part of his game is not the like the usual F ranked player.

Besides I just looked up how many games you have played this season: a total of 12 games. Wow, what an empirical evidence that is for a smurf infestation!

12 games is not accurate I didn’t play on the vik7 account alot
which account did you look up?

I looked up your Vik7 account.

yes but there are nested accounts under the bnet owner i never laddered on vik7

You have 2 accounts that have laddered under the vik7 battletag though.

let me grab screen shots - give me a few mins

I believe you, it’s fine!

https: // imgur. com/ a/ x2zLS24 <— remove spaces

there are some seasons missing cuz i removed accounts to make room for korea accounts, and I was playing in 3rd party leagues instead

1 Like

Omg, another portion of “there are no smurfs in Starcraft! you imagine things!!!”. Eternal holy war.
I am around 1300. I remember I was wrecked by 1000 MMR - he used Scouts only, and microed them perfectly vs hydras + spores killing drone-lines. Of course, he was just good with Scouts! And reavers behind cannons… And perfect timings to expand… But he was certainly crap in everything else! And his 200 APM was just spam. All average 1000 MMR players are like this! Smurfs do not exist!

1 Like

@Slow Zerg what are you talking about? I never talked about APM, I clearly mentioned playerbase; very clearly

1 Like

Is sad to see ppl leaving form Starcraft, especially battlenet. What happens is the most people here are well experimented players… and with only few newbies interested on the game playing against them is a big shock. I definitely in this situation, any minor error on build or timigns results in a gg and ragequit so badly. So for newbies is very harsh to play… but what can we do? Yes, also smurf is a big issue even on ranked, i have talked about it before.
Just hope new people make friends and can play one against other and also learn from experienced players. I also want to get in touch with newcomers. Dont quit already! SC is a great game, If you like, you will stay.
Im support the idea that actually the game are not newbies friendly. Many things could be done to make great again SC.

5 Likes

Agree. I am a bit (or very much) a newbie to in Brood War. Nearly all the games I got rated against many hundred above me and got either stomped or killed of expansion via Turrets. My only victories are against those that forfeited right at beginning and my only fun game whas against one I whas horrible outmatched but for making me practise (and because he does not want another newbie that just ggs at first expo attack) he draws back, told me I should try build and army and focus on defense and then we will decide it in a few minutes if my defense is holding. I lost. I had no real chance. But at least it whas more fun than being stomped right at beginning.
Mayby I am just bad. Mayby I have no right to complain. But this game is really shouting newcommers right at the beginning" GitGud"! A few years ago I made a suggestion, that for making it new players a bit easier whithout really changing balance, at least let the map not be complete dark at the start.
We did not even wanted that Fog of War should turned off but only, so that we do not need to explore it every time. We where shouted down with no changes, learn to play, etc and the only halfway good comment on it whas, why not look at the map on a second screen like your smartphone? Seriously one part of me want this game to make it people love more and another part of me thinks it is a high flawed outdated thing that should finally die. Mayby my point of view is wrong because I do not see the big picture but I can only speak about what I experience.

2 Likes

I’m sad to hear it but I understand. Unfortunately mismatch is a really huge problem and also smurfs have a big effect in that as well (not going to argue with Suddenlife/Scarfs as he clearly has no idea how many smurfs and infinite profile makers are playing starcraft :slight_smile: (based on earlier posts as well)).
A suggestion was to make a few friends and play with them more - is a good one I think. It helps releasing the tension as well after some frustrating games. Or you can join a clan as well. Talk about wins and losses etc…
Otherwise the only thing you can do is to get better and better. But doing it alone against people who have been playing this game 20 years is really damn hard. But not impossible! :wink:
GLHF

I hope you come back one day!

4 Likes

Hey man. I understand your feelings. I really do. I am, or maybe was since I have stopped playing as well, an F player. Look, I have said it before in a different thread, the real issue with the ladder is the tremendous skill gap, not the smurfs.

Few players have left playing the game nowadays and 90% of them even in the low ranks are people who have invested at least 5 years of their time playing the game, and cant easily break ties like a regular player can do.
So that means: less players=bigger gap between their skills. Ranked cannot give you an accurate skill wise match anymore. I wont deny though that smurfs are still around smurfing, but they are so few of them and you can spot them easily nowadays. From my experience some months ago as an F player, my encounters with an actual smurf are 1 smurf from 7 games I think.

Its natural for the skill gap to get bigger as the active playerbase shrinks and C players to drop to D, D players to drop to E and so on. My guess is that you get mostly getting paired as an F player with former D or E players that have ranked down due to the lack of competition.

Broodwar is a super punishing game that punishes even the slightest of your mistakes. I admit that lots of my losses were my fault. A hard truth to accept but I had come to this conclusion in the end. It was either because I have let my opponent a small opening to grow his economy(even a small opening that you lets say didn’t pressure your enemy at 4:05 because you were busy macroing your base), didn’t do the x thing at the right time or my unit control just sucked as s(especially when it comes controlling the defiler). Watching replays will solve your questions and will help you decide if your opponent was truly a smurf or a bad player with years of playtime.

In the end leaving this game might be might be the best choice for you. Broodwar has become an unnecessary steep mountain to climb for the newbs. You can find better alternatives these days that will not drive you crazy(or give you carpal syndrome from trying to keep up with the old fans lmao). You will probably return one day back to play again, only to repeat the same cycle over and over again in the farthest future but with less interest every time, just like every low tier broodwar player does :smiley:.

1 Like

Agree with that, less playerbase the skill gaps became more narrower. That happened me since i started on ICCUP on 2015 hoping that F- players would be even worse than me… well i got shocked when thats was not exactly the case.

A nice workaround would be to show in player stats and/or taking in count for ranked matchs not just MMR, but also the APM or the controversial eAPM. In my experience mostly of the games the player with highest APM wins…
In taht way try to smurf would be senseless.

Otherwise mess with random ppl on bnet is anything but enjoyable for newbies.

1 Like

Just take a break, you don’t need to quit fully, believe me. The player base is low, but it’s not dead ghost town. You can play custom games, 1v1, 2v2 if ladder queue is long. It has been always like this, even at golden era of SC1 - ppl made room and others joined it. Hope you will change your decision and stick around. HWAITING :muscle:

1 Like