Is ladder moderated?

Hi! I am E player with APM below 90 and would enjoy to play the games on ladder with similar noobs as I am. But still sometimes I am paired with gosus of 1400 MMR and 200-250+ APM who enjoy to humiliate opponent with perfect scouts micro or mass-valkiries killing overlords over and over again never intending to actually end the game.
Do I play vs computer (i.e. cheating) or vs much stronger player - it’s not that important, I just don’t want those smurfs in my games!
So far I can neither find a way to abort games when count-down begins, nor to report the players. Do I miss smth?

p.s. Well, actually there are a lot of players like this. Often they have meaningless name, APM > 200, perfect play and MMR on the low D level. Playing them consistently kills all the fun for newer players.
I have found how to report users from the channel with the right klick, but what to do if they are not visible in the channel?

AI in starcraft doesn’t cheat, besides knowing the rough position of its enemies (it can’t see your units to target them with spells unless it has active vision, for example).

I believe the issue you’re running into is a result of the small playerbase. I don’t think Starcraft will get significantly more popular anytime soon, so unfortunately you’ll need to get better at the game in order to contend, and until then you’ll have to accept the losses. If the game is for sure over you can of course GG and surrender yourself, though it’s not exactly as satisfying as a direct defeat.

1 Like

No, I don’t think the problem is that. Normal E pool players are playing like me. They are horrible! And I like it and enjoy games with them.
There is a term “sandbagging” when much-much stronger player intentionally decreases his rating to be paired with much-much weaker opps in order to humiliate and kill them. In SC they are called “smurfs” I believe. Such people made ICCup unplayable, but there you could choose not to play with a player you find suspicious at least, while here pairings are forced.
I am looking for the way to report such people.

I haven’t seen any instances of smurfs being banned or otherwise penalized. Without blizzard confirmation, and especially with the (longstanding) DDoS and hacking issues raised by other users, it’s difficult to imagine that the ladder is moderated in the way you desire.

Hmm. “Theoretically” there is a smurf problem due to the fact that you are allowed to make infinite accounts. The thing is, the active player base has shrunk drastically since the remastered release and the skill gap has become too big on whichever rank a player is. That means, lets say, Im a decent D player but I get paired with people that are A,B,C because there arent enough players to get a fair match, or ex B,C players that happened to drop to D due to loss streaks from players above their level. So in reality, these “unfair” matches you get, is the result of a small player base, and not actually from smurfs. Im not ruling the smurf issue out,(I have met some smurfs back in the release days but not anymore) but currently as I type this, the eu gate way has only 86 players online. How many smurfs could be hiding behind such a small number?
About the report thing, there is a /report command but Im not sure if it works. I have used it to report a toxic player but I dont know if a moderator had checked it or not. Try this command if you think someone has done wrong to you and hope for the best. Just keep in mind the things I have mentioned before.

Thanks for answers!

it’s difficult to imagine that the ladder is moderated in the way you desire

That’s sad…

you are allowed to make infinite accounts

And this is bad news! When I googled earlier I thought that the point of Blizzard ladder was to allow only 1 account for each player, and to make the ladder only for Remastered (and not for SC BW) specifically to avoid the problem of harrasment of none-experienced players.

On the small pool - yeah, it’s partially right. But MMR system (which is based on ELO I believe) should be balanced. I.e. I should get lower and lower rating until I finally reach my real level, BUT all other players with this rating should be of comparable skill to me so I should win roughly 50% of my games with correct pairings.

On smurfing. I play Zerg, and right after the opening a control group of Valkiries comes to kill all my overs and run away. And this is happening for 20 minutes without any other attempts to end the game. Is my 250 APM opponent smurf or idiot?

I have 250-300 apm every game and I am a E/D rank player. Maybe I’m an idiot but it is just so easy to die as zerg that a small mistake can easily cost you the game at the early stages.

Well I am not sore looser and take loses vs legit opponents in adequate way. But I want to play the same noobs as I am so the competition would make sence.
Now I feel like I meet the same dude under different nicknames with ridiculous MMR and astonishing skills over and over again for a few days. Right after the game “/where username” shows that he is logged out and his name is never in the channel. I write “/report username” and have no idea what happens later, but what exactly should I write to make a proper report if the reason is basically excessive multiaccounting and smurfing?

1 Like

We’d need a blizzard employee or CM to explain that they take a stand against smurfing/having multiple accounts. As far as I’m aware they explicitly allowed this function, so logic would dictate they want it to happen, or are at least ok with it occurring. Assuming that’s the case, reporting wouldn’t accomplish anything as you’d be reporting them for conduct within the rules/TOS/etc.

edit: I can’t vouch for it personally but I have seen LMaster’s discord server recommended to pretty much every newcomer on the brood war subreddit. Maybe it’ll be of use to you? https://discord.gg/B8JjVEh

Ehm, sorry for being total noob, do I need to register in discord? Or how would I join the server (possibly in PM)?
I mean where do I find technical data to join this SC server in the game?

It’s a discord server, which is independent of Starcraft. You can register an account at http://discordapp.com/ and then use the link I posted earlier to join. Once there, you should be able to introduce yourself and someone can help you along further.

I don’t believe you are allowed to ladder if you didn’t purchase SC:R, so you can make infinite smurfs but you need to spend some money for each account (where you can make 3 or 4 usernames per gateway). There are some toxic, ill mannered players who enjoy humiliating their opponents sadly, but in fact they suck vs. average/better players. I think this way those schmucks are compensating their nothingness. Overall you have 2 options:

1. Leave game quickly, so you can decrease your MMR even more to match players with your level
  2. Cope with it and become better. “That which does not kill us, makes us stronger” © F. Nietzsche.
2 Likes

Thats pretty sad, If Blizzard are allowing smurfs per each account (you can delete your profile and create new one), newcomers just will be discouraged.
The other day i entered ranked game. But at the fisrt 30 secs he quit… so they also lowering their MMR on purpose…
That should be moderated. Otherwise multiplayer will be totally dead…

Low player base is not a problem, your huge ego is. Just accept how bad you are.

For example if you play on Korea (with proper VPN or actually come there) and get matched only to Koreans you will see that everybody on F rank with round 1000 MMR will rape you by executing their builds well enough. They have more than 10K people online so their “playerbase” is bigger than EU/NA.

There is something else going on, and thinking that you play worse than 92% of people is a huge hit for your ego coz everybody thinks they are definitely better than the average Joe.

That’s interesting… on another thread you said:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/starcraft/t/ranked-matchmaking-is-broken/987/11
So which is it?

And, by the way:

Try to be a bit more encouraging/likeable. Support the community, don’t destroy it.

2 Likes

Type /report username reason for report here