"Enter New Character Name - Single Player (SC:Remaster)

What is the significance of when you’re promoted upon clicking Single Player to “Enter new character name:” when prompted?

Is this the character name that you’re playing as in the single player campaign? If so, how do you come up with a name that will be “canonically appropriate” for a character which will be involved in all three campaigns (Terran, Protoss, Zerg)?

Or is this the multiplayer name/tag?

Is it the same for Starcraft II?

When you finish a mission it’s the name displayed as your player, either SP or MP.

No real canon reason, kinda goes back to the older days of 1 pc per house. If you and say a brother wanted to play campaign you’d each have your own SP accounts with their respective names to not interfere with the progress of another account. In multiplayer it’s separate and a limit of 3 names per gateway.

In Starcraft 2 you use an account tied to a server/region. So if I boot up from NA let’s say, on that server all my campaign and multiplayer will be tied to that account. I can use the same email(battle net account) to sign up for an account on Europe server and can choose another new screen name and all progress for Europe is logged to that account completely separate from NA account.