Dealing with Protoss Splash Damage as Zerg

I have a problem fighting reavers, which hide behind big walls of dragoons and zealots, and blow my Hydralisks, lings and lurkers to meaty chunks. Feels like the only way to approach them is with mutalisk air support. However if the ‘Toss packs in like 6+ corsairs, they can vaporize practically infinite mutas in short order! How do you more skilled Zerg players deal with this?

The more skilled zergs usually don’t let protoss to have big wall of dragoons and zealots with reavers and 6+ corsairs simultaneously. It means you’ve let protoss to eat 4-5 bases, if only protoss didn’t completely skip his high templars. In this case your only option is to out-muscle him, which means you have to get 4-5 bases urself (always try to have at least one base advantage over protoss) get defilers with plague asap that you should cast on his army ball AND reavers, and 3-4 groups of hydralisks and some 8-12 lurkers and a lot of zerglings with adrenaline glands upgrade + standard ground units upgrades. But if you mean that protoss is using this composition in mid-game from 3 bases, without high templars (simply because it is so gas-heavy army composition already), then again, you have to pump as many units as you can to counter this, hydra+lurk+lings and try your best to encircle him from 2-3 directions. Good economy and constant units production is the key for this, because without good amount of drones AND expansions you won’t be capable of producing lots of hydralurk+lings that can counter this play.

1 Like

Right. I gotta work on my macro. It’s tricky to me because unlike the other factions, military and worker units use the same means of production (larva). If you’re making a unit, that’s one less drone and visa versa. So I’m doing some studies on build orders and droning timings

Read this article, remove space between dot and forward slash. It should help you big deal: tl . net / forum / bw-strategy / 86599-z-mid-game-guide

1 Like

Take the whole map rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

1 Like

Has llegado a ese punto del combate donde el Protoss esta muy avanzado y es realmente fuerte, tienes dos alternativas, ponerte en modo defensivo y contraatacar , o el modo agresivo que vas a pelear mano a mano con todo su ejercito, te explico los dos metodos 1x1

MODO DEFENSIVO:
DEFIENDES TUS EXPANCIONES CON SUNKEN ,ESPORAS, LURKER ZERGLING Y DEFILERS, TE RECOMIENDO NO USAR MUCHO HIDRALISK, TU DEFENSA TIENE QUE SER ECONOMICA , CUANDO ESTAS EN MODO DEFENSIVO, EL PROTOSS TE ARRINCONARA EN TU BASE Y TRATARA DE EXTERMINARTE CON TODO LO QUE TIENE, VAS A DEBILITAR AL EJERCITO PROTOSS CON DEFILER USANDO PLAGUE,
SI EL PROTOSS TE ATACA TENDRAS LOS LURKER LES PONES DARK SWARM Y LOS PROTEJES, ALA VEZ USANDO ZERGLINGS, DE POCO EN POCO, PARA QUE NO TE MATE TODO CON LOS REAVERS O CON LOS ALTOS TEMPLARIOS, MIENTRAS LA PELEA SE ESTA DANDO,.TU POR OTRO LADO VAS A HACERLE UN DROP, AL MISMO TIEMPO QUE EL TE ESTA ATACANDO,IGUALMENTE CON ZERGLINGS LURKER Y EL MAS IMPORTANTE EL DEFILER, Y VAS A USAR SOLO DARKSWARM, VAS A ACOMPAÑAR A LOS OVERLORD CON UN 2 O 3 MUTALISK PARA QUE RECIBAN EL DAÑO DE LOS CAÑONES DE FOTONES Y LOS OVERLORD PUEDAN DESCARGAR COMPLETO SIN DIFICULTAD.
NOTA: SI EL PROTOSS TE ATACA CON EL REAVER DESDE LEJOS, PRIMERO LE PONES PLAGUE CON EL DEFILER, SEGUNDO, PONES DARKSWARM A UNA DISTANCIA PRUDENTE PARA PROTEGER AL HIDRALISK DE CUALQUIER ATAQUE QUE NO SEA EL DEL REAVER, TERCERO ANTES DE APUNTAR AL REAVER, ENVIARAS PRIMERO 3 O 4 ZERGLINS PARA QUE RECIVAN EL DISPARO DE LOS REAVERS Y AHI ATACARAS CON HIDRALISK A LOS REAVERS. TIENES QUE TENER UN BUEN CONTROL DE LAS UNIDADES PARA QUE PUEDAS HACER ESTO Y REGULAR APM.

MODO ATAQUE AGRESIVO
VAS A IDENTIFICAR DONDE SE ENCUENTRA EL EJERCITO PROTOSS Y LO VAS A MEDIR BIEN, TU EJERCITO TIENE QUE CONSTAR DE ULTRALISK ZERGLINGS Y DEFILER, TE RECOMIENDO NO USAR LURKER O HIDRALISK, SON MAS PARA DEFENSA.
PRIMERO VAS A DEBILITAR AL EJERCITO PROTOSS CON DEFILER,
SEGUNDO VAS A RODEAR ESTRATEGICAMENTE AL EJERCITO PROTOSS, Y CUANDO LO TENGAS EN LA MIRA, LO ATACAS SIN PIEDAD CON ULTRALISK PROTEGIENDOLOS CON DARKS SWARM, ELLOS VANA RECIBIR EL ATAQUE DE LOS REAVERS Y ALTOS TEMPLARIOS, ACOMPAÑADO DE ZERGLINS MEJORADOS, ES DIFICL QUE EL PROTOSS PUEDA VENCER ESE ATAQUE, ES DE LOS MAS POTENTES DEL JUEGO, EL PROTOSS TRATARA DE ESCAPAR, TENDRAS QUE TENER SUFICIENTES DEFILER PARA ACORRALARLO CON DARKS SWARM, SIN DUDA NI SIQUIERA LOS ARCONTES SON RIVALES DENTRO DEL DARK SWARM, GANARAS SIN DUDA, ES IMPORTANTE QUE LO RODEES, SI ATACAS MAL ESE PLAN NO RESULTARA PARA NADA, LOS ULTRALISK CON ZERGLINS BIEN UTILIZADOS, CASI NO TIENEN RIVAL.
NOTA: SI EL PROTOSS SACA MUCHOS ARCONTES, NO IMPORTA TIENES QUE VER EL MEJOR MOMENTO PARA ATACARLO CON DARK SWARM, EL DAÑO DE LOS ARCONTES DENTRO DEL DARK SWARM ES MUY BAJO AL REDEDOR DE 8 O 9 NADA MAS. DE TODAS MANERAS GANARAS, ES IMPORTANTE TENER UN BUEN CONTROL DE TUS UNIDADES Y UN BUEN MICRO.

I think the best way to deafeat an big mech army or a big super Protoss army is to counter attack. If you cant defeat the army try to use the zergs superior mobility to either max expand or counterattack Protoss expansions or little army groups or do both. Specially when they dont even have shuttle for the reavers. Either way if they are slowly pushing be prepared to counter attack, cut of reinforcements while you stall from more units to hatch and prepare a big counterattack or encirclement. You can go for base trade scenario, many things you can do. I found that cutting off /killing/pushing their production often just wins you the game vs Protoss. I mean theoreticlly the poin to make the move fast into a position where they trade bad. So lets say you get ramp up of a main into there production you can try to make them pay either they rush up lose many units, or they take it slowly and lose all buidlings in there main. Stuff like that…

production is key, you just need to cripple their production and force them to manuever their troops into fights that you havethe advantage in. defilers have quite the range if you do not actually target he unit directly, but instead use the total range to reach units as well. If a player turtles up all you have to do is take everything else and once again, foce them to manuever. Fortification only works if you do not have to move your defenses. as zerg to deal with the corsair you could build some spores and attempt to drag his corsair to them as well if you can and like another person said. attack from multiple angles on a fortified position can work as well since the splash can only cover so much in a single direction. you can over take with guardians and mutas that way with your hydras in wait for the reavers to be gone. Practice is the best way to get better at it. If you run into a good player you will have to definitely multitask with multiple attacks at one time in different parts of the map.