Are there any ways to watch replays on smartphone/ tablet?

Does anyone have way to watch replays on mobilephone without recording games as videos?

I suspect that there’d need to be something installed that can render the replays. I don’t know if such an app exists though.

Hi! If you’re keen on watching replays up to 1.16.1, you can use this site:

http://www.openbw.com/replay-viewer/

You will need some of Starcraft 1.16.1’s files though to make the replay viewer work.
This is meant to work only for 1v1 games replays, no UMS.

Here they explain on how to use it:

http://www.openbw.com/how-to-replay-viewer/

Another alternative would be to run Starcraft 1.16.1 on Android using Winmulator, as Winmulator makes it run as smooth as it would run on PC. I think I’ve tested out all the emulators and this one was the best, but that was 1-2 years ago, so something better could’ve shown up. Android Kit Kat 4.4.2 is the last version you can run it on, and I think mine was 4.4.1 or 4.4.2. I used an OTG device to connect the mouse and keyboard to it. Make sure to first check if your Android device supports OTG ( On The Go ) technology.

Here is how to make it work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6RQRzuQXgM

For these two scenarios it would be really-really nice to have a replay converter from SC:R replays to 1.16.1 replays. I can’t tell you for how long I wished for one.

Have fun!

2 Likes

Thank you very much for a lot of interesting information. I tried some methods to run windows on android/ipad but none of them work. Openbw dot com does a great job but unfortunately it doesn’t work with SC:R :frowning:
I suppose that the only proper way to watch replays is to buy an table which use Window 10.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

You could take a look at these two forums and maybe you’ll get a way to replace Android with Windows:

https://www.xda-developers.com/

and

https://4pda.ru/forum

Both these sites have well-respected programmers, and these are the first places I go to when I face problems with Android, in terms of handling the Android OS itself. But don’t trust me, because I can’t trust myself, I urge you to first read about them.

If you need to get an account on 4pda.ru/forum, here’s how you can solve the captcha:

https://doorsgeek.blogspot.com/2015/08/4pdaru-loginregister-captcha-tutorial.html

Ah, I totally forgot about this, but you could run TeamViewer on your phone and then remotely control your PC, although I don’t know how laggy it would be and how much the quality of the images would be affected, but it is worth trying out. If you’re going to do just that, please post your results here, because I got really curious now.

Thanks, I tried to register in 4pda before but failed, I hope this tutorial will still be working when I need the site the next time.

BTW there are other Android apps that let you control Windows, same as TeamViewer, but offline, also the 1 I use allows me to awake my Windows if the PC is in sleep/hibernation/shutdown (Wake-on-LAN), also offline.

You’re welcome, as well :slight_smile:

I made an account on 4pda just few days ago, and the tutorial still applies. It’s never a bad idea to make an account now, because, who knows, maybe in the future it will become even more difficult to register for foreigners.

Do you mind sharing the name of the app?

I have to also thank you for making Coach AI. That tool is really awesome and it’s a must to have if one decides to become a pro player, along with BWAPI, CanRep and a couple others.

I even started at some point to make a list of improvements for Coach AI, but never got to finish it because I messed up some diagrams and I had to redo all of them, which I may plan on doing somewhere in the future. If you’re still open at that time for taking in new ideas, I can submit that list to you.

Splashtop, it also has a Windows client that allows you to control another Windows, offline. (Just remember: the client must log in once using email, then you can use it offline)
It also allowed my Android to control WinXP & Win7 Bridged VMs from the background with no Internet, while Win8.1 is in the foreground. (Useful for multi-user simultaneously controlling the same PC)

Also, I saw you in one topic mentioning BWChart 2.00C build 2. It’s not the best release if you want to search your replays for a specific Bo, like 12Nexus. Unfortunately, the release that works not exist anymore:
https://tl.net/forum/brood-war/536216-improving-in-sc-using-performance-counters#19
so I uploaded it:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16_FNK5dks920aLW-1ICQ-65FilUazYyo

I believe you, but don’t say that a lot in front of trolls, or they’ll kill you :joy:.
What list of improvements for CoachAI, and what new ideas?
If you can post there:

or just here, I’m listening.

1 Like

Hi guys. I just have tried several apps to remote PC from my ipad/ android phone. But none of them work decently. I can run starcraft but it is so laggy even if I remote PC via LAN or cloud.

I’m sorry for the late reply, but I was really busy lately.

Thanks for the recommendation, it may come handy one day! Also, thanks for the latest BWChart! :slight_smile:

Once a player gets good at Starcraft using these learning tools, guess who’s gonna troll them back, but in a non-malevolent way I hope? :smile:

About the ideas, these ideas are regarding replay analyzing and these are the ones I thought of:

1. First person view - this would be really awesome to have. Even though there’s already a tool that achieves this, and it’s called CanRep. There is this thread that mentions it:

https://tl.net/forum/brood-war/510353-watch-rep-in-first-person-tool

1. Having the HP, shield and energy bar displayed at all times for both every unit and every building , same as the HP bar was displayed in Replay++.

Here’s a link to the thread of Replay++ and its creator:

https://tl.net/forum/brood-war/111664-using-bwapi-to-take-spectating-to-the-next-level

Here’s another thread of it:

https://iccup.com/starcraft/content/news/more_info_than_you_require.html

1. Having displayed what keys were pressed, including mouse buttons and including the F keys. Even the combination of keys, for example: Shift + F2. And it would be nice to be shown on-screen in this format: “Shift + F2 (Location 1 saved)”, as when F2 is pressed, it could show up like this on-screen: “F2 (Location 2 was called)”.

2. Having displayed on the minimap the F (saved locations) locations, by marking the saved locations on the minimap by using different color rectangles for each location and redrawing the rectangles each time a new location gets reassigned.

3. It would be nice to see on-screen when a unit or multiple units are being selected and assigned to an already existing control group, or when one unit or multiple units are being removed from an already existing control group.

For example:

There are 6 zealots already assigned to control group 1, then 2 dragoon get selected and assigned to the same group. On-screen could show up as:
“+ 2 dragoons --> 1”

I strongly recommend checking out CanRep to get a better idea of what I’m talking about, as it has this implemented, but not to a such degree.

1. Showing up what control/s group a unit belongs to by having the control/s group number displayed over a unit.

2. Showing up in-production and queued up units:

• global: totalling the number of in-production and queued up units, represented as text on-screen;
  • individual: by showing up next to each building the count of units and what kind of units are being produced and queued up. I think an icon of the unit with the count on it would be a more better looking option; with a green outline on the icon for in-production units and a yellow outline for queued up units.
  1. It would also be nice to have a separate window where every feature can be toggled while the game is running, by having three tabs, one for in-game features, one for replay features and one for setting your own hotkeys for toggling each feature.

2. The time a spell will last once it’s been casted. For example if plague is casted on marines, a timer should show next to each marine showing how much is left until the spell wears off. In case more than one spell is casted on a unit, the screen will become a mess, so I don’t know of a proper way to display this and if it is really worth it.

I have one more idea, but that’s the one I still have to work on the diagrams.

What do you think about these ideas?

1 Like

Hi there! Ah, too bad that it doesn’t work as expected :frowning: But, thanks for sharing it with us!
In case other people will want to have a go at it, could you share which app you felt it lagged the least?

Hi ege4. I just found out that the app Steamlink works pretty well on my ipad. No laggy, a bit blurry, but acceptable for watching replay. But only work on LAN.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I guess running it on LAN must be the reason why it is not lagging.

@ege4 Actually some of the CoachAI’s trolls, are helping to spread the word indirectly, so it’s bad/good at the same time, a lot of curious people have known the CoachAI even after the bad guys tried to cut his tongue 4 times, but failed.

1- I thought about making the CoachAI = CanRep before, but I didn’t know how, I guess it uses a disassembler to do that which is out of knowledge, but still, CoachAI integrates nicely with it, I mean both of them are using hotkeys from F5 to F12 simultaneously without interfering with each other.
2- I guess having hp/shield shown is not much useful, considering the amount of text the CoachAI already displays, it could be just more distracting, despite SC2 has this. But by pressing F8 CoachAI displays the energy of anything with energy (Queen/Shield Battery/HT, etc…), I guess I forgot to document this on the Github page.
3- The live Hotkeys tracking in CoachAI is good, but if you want more I suggest having a keystrokes overlay like this one:

4- Unfortunately there is no way to interact with the minimap, except maybe doing a minimap ping.
5- The live Hotkeys tracking doing exactly what you’re suggesting, maybe you didn’t play enough with it.
6- Sorry, I can’t see the benefit of this.
7- There is already a global army tracking of produced/in-progress as you suggested, but doing it individually above each production building will just clutter the screen with nothing more helpful.
8- F12 = toggles all GUI (text/drawing), F11 = toggles all sounds/notifications, you can also minimize the noise on screen using F8 in-game, also F5 already toggles between different screens in-game/in-replay, tell me what you need exactly and I can do it.
9- That’s very easy, maybe also for knowing when Stasis is over, but as you’ve said no big benefit from it.

@Bayzrudar, @Leviathan
Please give me this chance to ask you guys, is it against Blizzard’s Code of conduct or wrong in any way to make a sticky or non-sticky thread about the CoachAI here in Blizzard forums, I/others feel bad for preventing the CoachAI, the right to speech.

If you’ve any answer for me please make it there (not to go offtopic):
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/starcraft/t/hacking-and-starcraft

2 Likes

Hi! Sorry for not replying for the longest time. Maybe I can make up to you by showing you how to perform tricks in StarCraft, what do you say to this?
You should add some credits to them on your github page :smile:
To note, at the time of writing this I’m using CoachAI 4.22.

1. I see. I actually have used both at once in the past, but the only issue I was having was with using the same keys. That’s why I have come with a solution at point 8.

2. For example, it helps you see how the splash damage of a tank is spread across a pack of zerglings, if the pack is knit together. So, next time you’re going to attack with zerglings, you’re going to know how to spread them better when it comes to engaging the tank.

That also helps you see how great a player is when it comes to microing. I’ve seen pro players microing mutas, but before shooting a pack of marines and medics, they would click units to see which ones had the lowest hp. So it would nice to see if they’re going for the units in the red. Each time I see this it makes me want to become even more skilled than before.
I agree, it would be too much of a clutter, but a toggle would solve this problem as well.

F8 is not doing anything for me. I have checked it out with medics and with comsat.

1. This was aimed at when it comes down to watching a replay. So I don’t think the overlay would come of help in this case.
    Nice song, although I like the metal version better :smiley:

2. Ah, I see. Maybe it can be done with AutoHotkey, but I suck at it.

3. Nope, I don’t see any of that while watching a replay. Maybe it’s something wrong with the version I have. Can you attach a picture of it?

4. I like microing a lot and I reassign a lot of times units to different control groups once they become weaker. So I was more interested to find out if there are better ways of doing it by watching pro players, and not having to pause the game every time to see what action they took regarding to reassigning.

5. I’ve noticed that feature. But pro players cancel queued up units in order to reinvest the resources. It would be really nice to see how they think out these things.

6. I was referring to all the features that are not going to be used that often, when it comes to replays.
    For example I might want to see what the path a unit is going to take, but I might not want to see what command it’s being used. So features like path, command, units lost should be placed in a window coming with checkboxes along.
    A player should also be able to define what keys to use for toggling, because I can see CoachAI’s and CanRep’s keys interfere.

7. It does help when you’re a beginner, because if you statis a group of units you get a better feel of what you can do in the remaining time.
    For example if you statis a bunch of sieged tanks, and there’s an unguarded command center close to you, where the shots of the statis’d sieged tanks can’t reach you, once they unfreeze. You can take your zealots and damage the CC and then get back in time to the tanks before they unfreeze, so you minimize the damage you take, but you’re also maximizing the damage you’re dealing. By taking a look at the remaining time of the statis and taking a look at the in-game timer, with quick math you can know approximately when to get back.

Please make the same post in the new CoachAI thread, it’s ridiculous to discuss CoachAI in a non-related topic:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/starcraft/t/coachai-has-arrived