Any chance Blizzard could add an eSports prizepool to help the foreign scene?

Love this game so much, even though I suck at it.

One suggestion: I wish there was a way to support the foreign comp scene by buying something in-game, but getting some kind of badge. My rank will always be low, but I really like the Carbot portrait. The skin was a really hype way to attract attention to the game too =)

Something like that would be awesome!

Blizzard funded the StarLadder pro series for foreign players. I’m not sure if they still do that.

But it sounds like what you’re actually asking about is something similar to the Starcraft II Warchests where you can unlock skins and other cosmetics and purchases go to the prize pools of major tournaments and esports costs. Those are just for the big world champions like IEM Katowice and the WCS Global Finals, neither of which are exclusively foreign players.(Same thing with similar events like Valve’s DOTA2 International.) So far there aren’t any big world championship events for Starcraft Remastered and China is the only non-Korean country where there have been many events with big prize pools. Meanwhile BlizzCon has been just doing a single showmatch for the game each year. So before Blizzard even considered selling in-game content where a percentage went to the prize pool of a big foreign event, they’d need to actually get an event like that started. And I don’t think the odds are very high that we’ll see something like that.

Blizzard is sponsoring BSL which is the premier individual league for foreigners these days. You can donate directly BSL if you like but if you are hoping for skins that Blizzard could sell to raise money for BSL I’m not sure if they would do that since it is an amateur league. No one in BSL could qualify for ASL.

1 Like

Sadly gap between foreigners and korean pros is HUGE, even top dog of foreign scene won’t be able to beat top amateurs who are hanging at the top of ladder. Eonzerg tried three times to qualify for ASL but couldn’t do it, but maybe in future, who knows. If foreigner wants to reach those heights he really needs to forget about his current life, move to Korea, learn some korean to understand and get some coaching from top pros and practice with them. Cadenzie went that way and her game knowledge and skills improved dramatically.

We can only say thanks that Blizz at least sponsoring KSL and we got showmatch at Blizzcon. BW isn’t popular outside of Korea unlike SC2 in foreignland so it’s pointless to organise a foreign tourney.

Clearly, you havent read Cadenzie’s stat’s or watched her play.

Food for thought before claiming foriegners cant beat korean’s.