About Among us and "The Thing UMS"

So now that Among Us is a famous game player by all human beings i wonder if anyone know of older games that used this type of gameplay?.

“The Thing” as most of you would know is a Starcraft UMS also called “La Cosa” in latin american countries, in which people join and one is randomly given the chance of being the “murder” or “the thing”, the objective is to kill everyone, deceive etc. This idea has come to Among Us which is a game everyone is playing this days.

So i was wondering if anyone here knows or can point to games that are older than Starcraft that used this idea?, or is it genuinely Starcraft the first community that created this mode?.

I need to know please, thank you.

2 Likes

I know I’m a bit late to the party ^^’ but if you still wonder : The Thing (1982) is an old horror sci-fi movie where an alien can consume humans and impersonate its victims, leading to extreme paranoia among the survivors (a team of researchers).
The movie, though it received mild enthusiam from critics, developed a solid fan-based community and had a lot of influence in other works.
Since Starcraft is also horror sci-fi, it’s understandable that someone would make a mod with this specific idea in mind !
The idea of impostors hiding among normal people is as old as the world, and can be found in mythology, folklore and many works of fiction because it plays on a very primal fear of man.

2 Likes