1.23.8.9411 Rollback Today

Just a PSA for the players: Looks like the client was rolled back today for the AM and EU regions.

3 Likes

Yep. I wonder how long it will be until they can start the next ladder season. They’ve had to roll back at least three patches.

New season when? Flying SCVs fix when? Blez plizzard

I’m not Bliz, so I don’t know unfortunately.

1 Like

Thanks for telling us stuff like this Leviathan… it’s a shame the devs don’t communicate with us.

2 Likes

Since Team 1 was eliminated in October, there’s been no indication that there’s anyone developing SCR anymore.

WC3R got an update in March saying they were still working on the game, and D2R is obviously being worked on. But unfortunately, it’s been total silence with SCR.

:frowning:

2 Likes

I personally wouldnt look for any concrete updates until months after the release of Diablo 2 Ressurected, and even then I think WarCraft III will come first.
SC:R playerbase is just to tiny in comparison to those other titles.

HOWEVER, When they do find downtime I fully believe SC:R Will get the attention it deserves.

Agreed. With the state that Reforged is in, it will likely get attention first.

Why in the bloody hell was team 1 fired??

don’t necro threads.

Not fired, they just pulled the plug because (and we assume) the game was not bringing enough steam to have actual people hired improving it and working on it. We are roughly enough to fill an stadium after all and there is no design possibility for microtransactions and such. So no.

Team 1 was reorganized (some have referred to it as dismanteld) after the WC3R debacle. So it wasn’t fully eliminated.

The Classic Team, which was part of Team 1 at the time, is what was elimiated (some say due to the WC3R debacle). This left SCR and WC3R essentially abandoned. The fledgling D2R project was transferred to Team 3.

There’s rumors that WC3R is going to be revisted in some fasion, but as of yet I haven’t heard anything about SCR since the Classic Team went poof.

2 Likes

It’s all pretty confusing and very few people have anyone there to ask about the state of things. Along with the WC3R mess, the departure of major Starcraft II developers like Kevin Dong and Ryan Schutter seemed to be a catalyst. Despite the reports of Classic Games being “dismantled” there were still job postings afterwards for reliability and outsourcing and the Heroes of the Storm developers remain pretty visible. For SC2 and SCR it seems like more of a maintenance crew than developers.

The announcement of SC2 no longer getting any new paid content seems to also apply to SCR although they’ve both gotten some content for sale that was previous tied to another promotion like BlizzCon and the Korean orchestra concerts. They’ve also gotten some portraits. They rely on tournament organizers and community members for maps and for SC2 balance updates. HotS gets some new skins here and there and the developers continue to make balance changes.

As for WC3R, the last patch was over a year ago and there have been no official statements about it beyond Mike Ybarra sharing some positive words during his Twitch streams. The last time they said anything, they claimed the game would still get some of the promised features like profiles, leaderboards, and leagues. The same Bloomberg report that said Classic Games was dismantled claimed that WC3R development had been outsourced to an external studio and the postings for someone in Classic Games to communicate externally seemed to support that. But no one has a clue where things are at now. Ybarra said that there are still people working on it but that he doesn’t want to speak for them.

I wouldn’t expect anything for SCR in the near future other than a new map pool and seasonal portraits at some point and some further maintenance.(They’ve made progress on some of the bigger SC2 server issues recently.) People seem hopeful that some changes will happen under Microsoft once the merger is complete especially considering Grant Davies is over there working on the older Age of Empires titles as well as some other Starcraft and Warcraft III veterans.

1 Like

The only thing you can expect from StarCraft Remastered is the follow:

1. New season, probably very soon most likely around July?. Who knows.

2. At some point they will do something with the StarCraft franchise, i doubt it would be StarCraft 3, they dont have the capacity of making such a complicated game anymore, most likely some sort of half fletched online transaction base game.

3. At some point Blizzard and that is Activition and Microsoft then will make a jump into cloud gamming, you can expect StarCraft Broodwar to have somehow of a HUGE come back then, is that going to happen before the next 10 years?, who knows.

4. The community will keep experimenting, and as there is less and less updates coming people will jump into trying to decipher some way of hooking up Bwapi and other AI based engines with SC:RM, it already has been done but that will be cool !! for people that can only play OFFLINE and such, good practice, it doesnt get close to playing a human but is nice to have.

5. Also Shield Battery is going to grow more and more, and is very likely that Blizzard pulls the plug on legacy Btnet in the next 2 or 3 years, or even sooner, so we are all moving there which is a more adult community where the game will remain alive until its brought back to live in the cloud forever.

1 Like

Leviathan- Thanks for the information. So Activision owns Blizzard, is that correct? Is there another way to reach their CEO since none of the means provided on the websites are viable?

Who owns who. That’s a messy one!

Activision Inc (Activision Publishing’s parent company at the time) and Vivendi (Blizzard’s parent company at the time) merged together to form a new, single parent company called “Activision Blizzard”. However, each subsidiary remained separate, independent companies from each other. So neither owned the other, and still don’t

Having said that… it’s very easy to confuse. Just a few reasons include,

• It was initially Activision’s idea to merge.
  • The Activision Inc CEO became the CEO of the new Activision Blizzard.
  • Vivendi was eventually bought out.
  • “Activision” comes first in “Actvision Blizzard”
  • The high level decisions are coming from Activision Blizzard, many of whom are ex-Activision Inc people.
  • People often confuse “Activision Blizzard”, “Activision Publishing” and “Activision Inc” (those are all completely different).

Plus all sorts of other confusing reasons.

However, the fact remains that at the corporate level, Blizzard Entertainment and Activision Publishing are lateral subsidiaries, along with three other companies, where none of them has ownership over the other(s).

In short:

• Activision (lateral subsidiary) does not own Blizzard Entertainment
  • Activision Blizzard (parent company that was created with the merger) does own Blizzard Entertainment

As for contacting Activision Blizzard’s CEO, they have a website. I haven’t looked to see who can be contacted.

Thanks for that information. Unfortunately none of them care about transparency nor do they care about SCR or Broodwars. Maybe Ill get lucky enough to change that.