Your Favorite Commander, STYLE wise

See title, who is/are your favorite commander(s) base on style alone? As in: Race, colors, mechanic, voice, ship, etc.

Stettman: Mecha-Swarm is awesome, Stettman combines the traits of all three races into one with one of the most versatile hero unit Gary.

Fenix: Downloading heroes from the cloud to join the battle is quite thematic, and gold/white/black is a wonderful color combination for Protoss, plus the golden halo for heroes.

Stukov: I love him joking and chilling while infesting the whole map. Mentioning DuGalle as he summoned Aleksander was a great touch. He’s someone you could have a drink with at a safe distance.

Mengsk: Propaganda, MORE propaganda!

Style wise I find Vorazun very cool. Always enjoyed the stealthiness of Nerazim. However, her lack of roster makes for few viable gameplay… that’s until P3 - making all things possible.

Artanis is a favourite much more so post the campaign. I loved Fenix from the OG story but he kinda fell off a bit after sc2. As much fun as P2 Fenix can be, I find Artanis P3 gives a good mix of macro and micro.

Also enjoy a number of hero-oriented COs, including Kerri, Alarak, Dehaka. I tolerate Tychus and Zeratul but honestly it’s a bit too straight forward (in that, when you want to change it up to macro there really isn’t much to macro).

I enjoy Zagara in terms of seeing a wave of banelings just melt the enemy is so satisfying.

Going to have to pick Alarak. Love the color scheme of the Taldarim and the mothership. Really sad we will never get blood hunters or Taldarim carriers in Co Op.

1 Like

Zagara (deleting everything with Bane/Scourge) and Alarak (Wave of Destruction is the single most satisfying ability in co-op and his quotes are epic, oh also 1QE2C).

I like Terran. The way they build, the units feel more varied, the basic mechanics. It all feels more like commanding an army.

Alarak, Fenix… Probably just those two.

Well, I really like Macroing up but I find Dehaka to be the most engaging (assuming you aren’t one of those silly rock slappers). Honestly I don’t have all the commanders, but I like Dehaka, Raynor, Kerrigan, Zagara, Vora, Arty and Karax quite a bit.

Just wish Co-op was tougher. You can basically solo anything with Dehaka and then still have a flock of unstoppable, fully upgraded Primal Mutalisks for backup.

I did finish some Prestiges recently. Apex Predator is awesome and also got Architect of War and Templar Apparent too. Oh and Backwater Marshall of course.

Cheers everyone.

Swann. Terran Mech is my favorite, Siege Tanks are my favorite unit in SC2. Goliath/Tank/SV reminds me of Brood War.

He has a macro focus and doesnt have a lot of ez mode buttons or a hero that can carry you.

Just all around my favorite CO.

Kerrigan and Artanis are after him.

Terran COs are my main. I was a Terran player in SC1 and still a Terran in 2.

Raynor p0 / p2: Needs constant Micro and Marco managements. Fast kill speed and control a behemoth class battle cruiser.

Raynor P3: Yamatos spam is fun and easy speed running without excessive marco / micro.

Swann P0: Needs constant Micro and Marco managements like Raynor. Solid units and statics. I love offensive statics. And has wave deleting CDs.

For Protoss COs. My Style is up close and personal, I’m not the caster type. So if I play Artanis, Alarak or Vorazun I’ll pick Slayers / Stalkers / dragoons over High Templars / Ascendents.

Karax
Beacuse you just need to finish your defense, and wait for win.

1 Like

Mine are Alarak and Mengsk.

The myriad of options available to Mengsk, in particular P3, has got to be my favorite. The ability to set up either quick defensive emplacements with bunkers falling from the sky and filled up with exploding troopers, to using those same bunkers as offensive saps into enemy territory. The ability to hold the line as massive shells rain down on the enemy from long range, combined with chemical and nuclear warfare. All this while amassing an elite unit to dive in and deliver the killing blow. Mmmm, makes a Kriegs guardsman feel like he’s home. Bonus points that his sacrifice to the Emperor is followed by a small tactical nuke exploding.

Race, colors, mechanic, voice, ship, etc.

Mechanic: My mains are Swann, Karax, and Stukov.
They have nice towers, long term power, and some fun gimmick that’s beyond “mass units, A-move”.
Swann = laser drill
Karax = SoA lasers
Stukov = free hordes of units that auto-generate and cost no supply

Color:
Swann = orange
Karax = yellow
Stukov = pink/lavender

Voice:
Mengsk does have some nice lines, despite him being an awful terran. The propaganda does take you back to the campaigns (both Sc1 and Sc2). I forgot what he says to his Kerrigan ally, but when Raynor calls the Hyperion, he makes a comment that it gets used beyond the cantina

Stukov talks about his time in captivity, torture, experiments. Especially when hybrids show up. Up until a few weeks back, I’ve only played the WoL campaign, so all the stuff that you learn in the HotS campaign was completely new to me. (Nice to have gotten to that part to make the links). Even without that, it’s fascinating to hear what he has to say.

HH… banter between husband and wife.

Can’t really say. Before prestiges I would’ve said everyone except Zagara. Now I just slap on P1 or P2 and she’s on par with the other commanders for me. So yeah generally they’re all my favorites.

Mengsk, ofc. Love the man to bits, a great shame how butchered he was in sc2 (the game just decided the stakes are now somehow low enough that changing emperors in more important then having, yes, a tyrannical, iron-fisted - but actually capable and results oriented leader for terrans. In the middle of the so-called Last War).
At this point I can finish most of the lines I hear from the witnesses in the split seconds I hear them while macroing. His voice is just wonderfull, and every calldown is like a little treat. While on brutal I play the caring and rewarding Emperor, from brutal+ onwards I have to understand the meaning of ends justifying the means. He is just so… complete, in his themes, aesthetics, units and mechanics.

Oh man, it’s hard for me not to appreciate the style of each commander. That being said, Alarak (especially P3) and Mengsk stand out aesthetically for me. Both of these commanders are tyrants using their power for self-preservation, in a way that happens to align with the right cause. Both of them have awe-inspiring displays of power that reflect their brutality in different ways. In some ways, their execution reminds me a bit of the SC1 days when the story was more about power struggles in a chaotic universe. While I like the flavour of every commander in different ways, Mengsk and Alarak are both delicious in how unapologetically-selfish they are. Oh and I think their respective gameplay captures their flavours quite well, too.