Why did we nerf the beatable widowmine?

In the best-case scenario
Widow mine is online at 2 minutes 19 seconds.

Protoss detection is online at 2 minutes 47 seconds.

So explain how Protoss without detection should counter WM with drilling claws.

Oracle doesn’t become invisible and
DT is online at 3 minutes and 11 seconds. If you have no detection at this time then l2p.

2 Likes

Idk, I always have cannons in my base WAY before even my barracks finish. Didnt know Im such a noob and should build factory before depo to have WM before cannons are up.

Not to forget, they cost 2 supply!

My original idea was to transform them into stationary defenses after 5 minutes of being idle-

• not being able to unburrow anymore
    -> but no more food costs.

here the explanation against widow mines,

1. take your cheapest unit (protoss: 1x drone)

move it into range of widow mine
2)
take a stalker with blink, get it into range, blink it back before it gets hit by the missile.

solved. it will be idle for a long time giving you the opportunity to research detection.

We don’t talk about current widow mine but the previous version(before Patch 4.0.0).
in the first literation, WM was permanently clocked from the start.

I didn’t know that the probe is invisible or can float like a Terran building.

Low IQ comment doesn’t deserve a response

2 Likes

The WM is a cancer unit, everybody hates it and the only reason you ret4rds want it back that strong is the amount of free wins you got from flying a medivac with a mine into a base, which can’t be stopped even when your 2-3 stalkers are in place waiting for it.

8 Likes

Wat ? twenty characters

1 Like

yet terran has to blindly get detection in every match up… better save those scans up I suppose

has to? and blindly? what?

I remember those days though as a newer protoss player, finally playing ladder after getting good enough to beat elite AI (most of the time)…freakin cancer if terran commits to constantly killing your detection. Literally. So hard to engage with tanks and bio and mines if terran sets up a contain on you on some of those old maps…If terran can actually use all their units to their full potential I think its the strongest race (like a 2k+ apm A.I.) easily…

Didn’t they buff the rate at which you could pump out widow mines, which in effect drastically boosted their strength? They are toning it down a bit and are still very strong compared to how they used to be. They are too strong to be this spam-able and that’s especially the case with the upcoming protoss mid game nerfs.

5 Likes

Only DT requires detection and Protoss need at least 3 minutes from the start of the game to get them.

3 minutes is enough time to get your ECO going and have an available scan for DT’s

So If you do not use tools available to you to scout and defend, you have no right to complain.

You mean like how the Terran can scan base with zero counterplay? Zerg and Protoss have to make some form of unit and fly that said unit into the enemy base with the risk of getting denied but what about the Terran? 50 energy and free whole base revealed. Much whoa, such skill.

6 Likes

It was done because it hurt build variety. Protoss had to go early detection because WM drop might come.

Inderectly it strongly buffed Protoss early game because now they don’t had to invest a lot of (for early game) resources into getting detection to WM drop timing (also at the same time they removed MC - which was essential for protoss early game defence and freed up 100 gas… they should have made SB cost 25 25 not 100 0).

This nerf - while it made WM silly looking - was completely justified. Although if I was making a change I would made WM single-shot 1 supply 100 or 125 minerals units.

Scan cost Terran player ~250 minerals not harvested. That scan could’ve been ~5 more marines.
Also it doesn’t scout all base, just some part of it.

Compared to hallucination that actually IS free - you still need a Sentry for guardian shiled and force fields anyway.

yall are terran fanboys who have no idea about balance.

The widow mine STILL kills 10+ probes when dropped. It SHOULNT be ‘i make this unit and it will ALWAYS be cost efficient cuz u cant scout it’

The widow mine is the least skillfull unit of terran, drop and forget. and you n00bs wanna buff it cuz u cant straight up beat ur opponent?!

Ur batsh-t crazy.

Also PvT is T favoured ya n00bs

2 Likes

WM drop(nonproxy) hit after Protoss has available detection from Robo or stargate. So if you allow yourself to lose 10+ probes to it, it is your fault.

Sincerely
Protoss player.

3 Likes

we nerfed it because otherwise prottoss players might have to micro once every few tvps, this of course is far to scary.

People with 0 understanding if build orders and timings should stop providing opinion on this topic.

You mean how we can spend 300 minerals on something that has to be positioned such that we can try to glean as much information from tech that is likely hidden. So what do we do? we count miners click on gases and try to glean information from limited details. So, yes. A lot of skill required.

2 Likes

you probably missed the point where it says something about 2:30, you will never see dt’s at 2:30 and maybe you forgot, but why chrono was nerfed from 100%? isnt it because oracle was coming too early to terran at 3:00? 3:00! not 2:30, horewer a bit later even oracle was nerfed, so it takes now 3 shots to kill a worker and you talk about “too easy to defend”, oracle is too easy to defend with just 1 mine in your mineral line

4 Likes