Which Campaign Missions do you hate?

Yeah but they can’t attack them, since they’re air to air.

You mean outbreak or breakout? I’m going to assume you meant outbreak.

Yes, you are correct.

What I hate in strategies is playing against time and leaving units behind the screen. The first is to artificially raise the degree of difficulty. In LotV, it is not even possible for a man to expand. Everything on time. The second is simply cheating.

Come play Mass Recall. SC1 remake in SC2. 100 missions to do, and all in a while. You can sit for two hours on a mission and no one is chasing you. Pure pleasure. They used to be able to make decent campaigns. SC2 is a complete mess.

1 Like

I generally hate timed missions, mostly because I’m the player who likes to take my time and appreciate the map designs (I’m a sucker for good-looking maps, it greatly helps with the immersion to feel like I’m playing in an actual world) as well as have time to macro an army and potentially replace it if need be. The only missions where I feel timers are okay are in defense missions just to give you a set goal to hold out for.

I like the design of SCI mission maps because the devs weren’t so concerned with making linear paths to the objectives. Many SCII missions are, in the nicest way to take it, very “noob-friendly”, as in they have clear paths to follow. It’s obvious that with SCII the designers were concerned about non-RTS players getting into it, so they basically made their maps have giant arrows every five feet telling you which direction to go. This was mostly done with terrain, with trenches, bridges, and whatnot funneling you towards the objectives. SCI missions didn’t have that concern. Probably because there wasn’t as much experience with RTS games in general, but there was a lot of freedom on how to play. You could play a mission like “Emperor’s Fall” where you make a beeline straight to the objective, but on another session go for skirting around the edges of the map methodically bypassing the main defenses to get to the objective, or if you’re so inclined just basically turn the entire map into your base and slowly choke out the enemy.
I loved that, the complete freedom to do the mission however I wanted. I remember the first time playing that mission just sending wave after wave of infantry around the map, while on another replay opting for drop play with using dropships with siege tanks and marines on the cliffs. It made it seem like an actual war scenario; the environment isn’t going to conveniently lend itself to leading you to victory, it’s up to you to figure out how best to navigate it and obtain the win.

The lack of extra resource expansions, the lack of being able to fight multiple factions, the lack of “slow crawl across the map” type missions. When you really get down to thinking about it, the SC2 missions were lacking a lot.

They still got a lot of interesting stuff though.

I feel like Heart’s final mission was trying to be this, and it would have been a great final mission without “IWIN” Kerrigan.

Also, there’s one thing I dislike more than timed missions : Timed Achievements. That screams laziness for me in terms of achievement design, and Sc2 has so many of them. Especially when you compare them to WoW’s Instances Achievements, which have almost no timed achievement since WotLK a decade ago, and are fun to attempt no matter the difficulty.

Right there were some really good maps in hots. But, again, they killed it with the hero unit. It’s funner to just a-move kerrigan and micro the zerg army.

I’ve said it before. I always felt bad whenever I decided to use Kerrigan’s Wild Mutation.

That thing was so broken.

2 Likes

I hate brood war because lurker made the entire campaign unfun. Something they learn from in sc2. No zerg you went up against had lurkers.

Show me the way to go home,
cause I’m tired and I wanna go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago
and it’s gone straight to my head
Where ever I may roam
on land or sea or form
You can always hear me singing a song, show me the way to your home

Where ever I may roam
On land or sea or form
Well he can always hear me singing a song
Show me a way in your home
I gotta go home, just point me home