What happened to Co-op Leaderboards? (with Poll)

Back in ̶2̶0̶1̶8̶ 2016, this was a concept that Blizzard devs said was something in development. Some way to officially track who the best co-op players were in terms of fastest time, most kills in a single game, etc… not very clear. There’s very few official information on it besides couple interviews.

Fast forward to now, it seems like it got stuck in limbo. My guess is combination of 1) they could not decide how to best implement it, 2) lack of resources, and 3) other priorities. Considering the current state of things, I expect this will continue to die out.

But, would this be even be something people want to be brought back to drawing board? Simple poll below:

h ttps://www.strawpoll.me/20115172

Gone with the wind, so it seems.

I’d even settle for just more displayed end game stats. It already collects.

Some less insecure people seem to hate the idea. I suspect it’s the same for the leaderboard, at least as part of the reason.

Yea, I remember back when the idea was suggested, it was shot down by quite a few people, saying co-op is ultimately a casual mode and doesn’t need to be made competitive. The arguments had some merits… but at this point, I’m up for anything that will spice up the game.

I don’t really care much about leaderbords.
Would be better if they concentrate efforts on new maps and commanders.

1 Like

That’s probably why this idea died in the first place. They just focused on making new commanders for that immediate profit.

I’m also of the opinion that the priority should be 1) maps, 2) commanders, 3) leaderboard or anything else. But theres plenty of topics on demanding new maps/commanders already.

2 Likes

I disagree. Not excluding myself at all, on the occasion I do feel my partner should of at least be able to handle 1 out of 5 waves of the game.

Then, I remember it is a game… and not only that… it is a game where cooperation wasn’t really performed on most levels.

These fastest completion time, weekly mutation, etc. are all things that you’ll score high if you actually did cooperative play. If anything, it would incentivize players to match with someone in a party (much similar to Brutal+).

Expecting to score high on a leaderboard with just solo-strength is just not going to cut it (and the current speedrun records will reflect that). Again, correct me if I’m not up to date on that record, but if I recall solo runs are all slower than 2 players (and understandably so).

As for the partner/people, the ones that will feel spiteful will be :salt:-T regardless of their partner. You can even see them on here:

• “my partner killed everything hurr durr”. It’s like really? Where were you all game when your partner killed everything?
  • “No, x commander is too strong, too OP, nerf nerf nerf.” I mean balance is balance, it is not a valid reason to underperform.

Moreover, if underperformance occurred, then inherently it means there is room to improve. So if the goal is to climb the leaderboard, then wouldn’t it be the actual drive/motivation?

If a person can feel that down, that upset, and just that :salt:-T, maybe it’s not their cup of tea. So then don’t climb the leaderboard? However, that shouldn’t change whether to have it or not, much like brutal+. You can always not play it.

I did. What I’m trying to get at is that many of these issues are not leaderboard related.

It is not because the dev could potentially put them there that they exist.

Abathur solo push remains the best for a reason. You can’t say, “well if we put leaderboard in solo push is a problem”. It is because Abby solo is that much stronger than say Karax solo that you’ll likely see Abby dominating that particular section (of this fictional discussion).

Essentially, your points are all things that exists in coop. Using them to justify leaderboard to not be a thing isn’t really valid, imo.

I forgot about this, and for good reason… seems like a “juice isn’t worth the squeeze” type situations. I’d rather they focus what I’m sure are limited resources on keeping up with updates (even if only hear from them every 4 to 7 months), new COs, and perhaps new missions.

We don’t really need leaderboards because if you want to find a “leaderboard”, you can already take a look at a table of standing speedrun records and mutation solos, or even other fancy things with brutal+ and custom death mutations and whatnot.

It was actually first revealed at BlizzCon 2016.

On top of the new maps and commander, we plan on adding a new feature, Co-op Mission Leaderboards. Here you’ll be able to see how well you’ve done on each mission and compare it to your friends and to everyone else in your region. Scores for specific commanders, maps, and weekly mutations will be tracked, so you’ll have a wide range of achievements to brag about.

https://starcraft2.com/en-us/news/20352111

Three and half years and barely a few mentions in that time. I think it’s been scrapped.

1 Like

Good find! Corrected OP above. Geez that makes it even worse, being stuck that long in development limbo. That’s confirmation that it’s dead if I see one.

Solo records in co-op is irrelevant. And yes, there is no need in leaderboard in co-op mode.

Instead of Co-op Leaderboards, perhaps “Commander of the Week/Month” might prove better. Since even with a rich amount of content creators (CtG, starcraft2coop etc.), most of the people still have no idea of what they should do and shouldn’t. For example- most of the players in random won’t delay the first tower in AR brutation.

Hope with this system- as Blizzard officially grants the best (insert commander) player a title and access to edit in-game tutorial or more can improve the performance of most of the average players.

Like for example- A CoW/M Mengsk edited a full tutorial of fast-expanding on contested maps or SoA speedrun… I can expect most of the average players will be mind-blown.