What are your ideas for the next campaign packs?

Bad memories? Plus I think it could put a pretty big dent between Protoss and Protoss.

There is no Amon to corrupt it, and the Nerazim weren’t against a psionic link per say, they were against the Conclave’s collectivism.

This just might be me, but a traditionalist species like the Protoss, don’t you see any possibility for the Nerazim (or ex-Nerazim I guess) to have a sort of disdain from the Khala because of what it reminds them to?

Well, the original had a design flaw that allowed a foreign entity to possess their entire race. An artificial system could be designed with safeguards to prevent it from happening again. Additionally it serves as nice way to record up-to-date scans for purifier resurrection. I was also interested in creating a light/dark toggle mechanic like the Masari from Universe at War. Perhaps most importantly it avoids directly nullifying the outcome of a previous campaign (like Kerrigan becoming the Queen of Blades immediately after becoming human again). A new Khala offers new story possibilities; in this case, the Protoss race evolving into biomechanical cyborgs so intertwined with their technology that the distinction between organic and robotic life becomes blurred.

Either way, in the future I would say they should use genetic manipulation to fix the flaw in the Khala. We know dark Templar at least have altered their biology before.

That’s an equally valid approach. The Data Web has its own advantages like existing infrastructure but also its fair share of disadvantages (no emotional connection).

That’s something I could live without. Oh wait.

1 Like

Unless the ‘something’s wrong’ is the fact that he is not Khas, but an imposter (another Protoss who pretends to be Khas) I don’t like this one. Khas was a scholar. He is only the first to come up with the concept, but that doesn’t mean he is an expert at it. I don’t think he would be much help in term of replicating the Khala. A preserver would be much better suit.

Fortunately it isn’t a mutually exclusive issue. The group of mystics could be comprised of former preservers, judicators and other fundamentalists who aren’t sure what to do with themselves now that the philosophy they devoted their lives to is gone.

Part of the scenario I want to explore is: what if a modern religion could bring back their holy founder to make things right? Would he live up to their expectations? Would he change his mind if he saw how history played out or would he demand a return to the way things were? What if he’s only a fallible scholar unnerved by his followers’ insistence that he has all the answers?

1 Like

Okay, if that’s where you’re going. The premise is quite interesting. Although, I would hope you’re a bit more specific on what exactly Khas brings to the program, but I guess for a brief idea that’s enough.

1 Like

Apparently the SC2 devs want to do a SC3.

Given Blizzard’s track record the plot of SC3 will be schlock of the highest order and will alienate most fans currently invested in the lore. Just like the endless parade of retcons and absurd plots in Warcraft.

I predict the plot will be something lazy and absurd. UED returns and gets shanked, Overmind comes back to life with a new generation of evil xel’naga, the Khala is recreated with trivial ease or completely forgotten, Amon’s ex-girlfriend shows up to get revenge on Kerry and seduce Raynor, the xel’naga return again, the creators of the xel’naga return, the anti-xel’naga return, Amon is retconned as the good guy, a new bland shallow race comes out of the woodwork, Nova will become the new queen of the blades, or something of that nature.

Color me unimpressed.

2 Likes

Where’d you get the idea they want a SC3?

Trick is alive! 202020

I wouldn’t mind. The jump from SC:BW to SC2 was 12 years (11/30/98 to 7/27/10). SC2 has been around for almost a decade now. I’d say that’s about a good amount of time to possibly move on to developing SC3.

SCBW was obsolete pretty much right after it came out. The SC2 engine on the other hand is still getting milked by Blizzard for all it’s worth. We still have skins and co-op packs being released to this day. It’s going to be a long time before they decide that SC3 is going to be worth producing.

1 Like

Are you talking about the engine or…?

There was no new content.

It’s not much, but you still get balance (bug) patches and new stuff for Co-op.

A few news sites have been saying so.

You missed me? I’m touched! I thought my cynicism and misanthropy causes people to hate me.

Blizz said no more mission packs, but that doesn’t mean they can’t change their minds. Not that I really expect them to. Indeed I expect that SC3 won’t have any campaigns because esports is the big thing.

They are actually kind of amusing.

Besides, your misanthropy pales in comparison to the light of The Beacon of Positivity -

Gradius.

Don’t know about the rest but those are traits I welcome.