What are all of the free units that leave free money

Which units do we know for sure give “free” money when paired with Han & Horner? does this work for mind controlled units of vorazun/tychus/karax too? salvaged terran buildings etc? Just curious.

1 Like

If mind controlled units controlled by Aleksander gives free money then it should work for the trio also.
Dehaka’s Ravasaur also gives out free 5 gases (125/50 cost is from the original HotS Ravasaur) and let’s hope it stays that way.

Salvage doesn’t work on structures btw so no free money.
While summoned units don’t yield free resources like Zagara’s Hunter Killers, Glevig’s summoned units leave free dough when expired.

1 Like

I honestly have never seen an actual list and the prices associated with Salvage.

1 Like

Mengsk’s Dog of War give out free resources as well, potentially quite a bit given the size (and theoretical tech level) of the army that can spawn.

3 Likes

Nova’s sabotage drone leaves 7 minerals and 2 gas.

2 Likes

off the top of my head, raynor’s expired mules give resources.

1 Like

Dusk Wings too. Always a good idea to let them get destroyed before they time out for free gas + minerals.

1 Like

I take it this doesn’t apply to the Hyperion? It technically just “scurries away” instead of getting blown up (although I wouldn’t be surprised if it still left resources none of the less)

I would say that any “free unit” such as ones from top bar, generally speaking, benefit the player far more by stay alive longer than any salvaged-amount produced.

If I’m not mistake, the value of salvage is set at 10% (for allies since any of HH units wouldn’t be ‘free’). As such, the ones that died and out of the player’s control (ie. Mutalisks from Dogs of War) is a nice bonus resource. Outside of that, intentionally losing Dusk Wings would be reducing effectiveness.

Of course, the fringe case being if you can time it so perfectly that as they ascend away, they die and drop resource. I feel like anyone capable of allowing that to happen would likely maximize micro of Dusk Wings to begin with.

Hyperion doesn’t drop any salvage because it technically never “dies”. Once it hits 1 HP it just times out.

Obviously you shouldn’t be saccing them for resources straight away without putting them to use first. But if there’s only 5 seconds left on their timer you may as well “recycle” the calldown - either by throwing them into defences or manually targeting them yourself.

You can’t kill Dusk Wings once their timer runs out. They become untargetable the moment that happens, although they themselves can still attack for a few 3-4 seconds until they actually get removed.

Which free unit, you know of, that can “recycle” as you put it?

Will Hyperion, Aleksander, Apocalysk target themselves somehow?

How do you control Dogs of War to attach each other?

Will you be summoning a new Packleader to kill off the timing-out Packleader, just to get 100 some resource?

You see how if you can actually do that then you likely have maximized the calldown’s use and therefore not need to do that?? Because you’d have likely killed off a base/wave (that there’s nothing left to suicide into).

Thanks for the lesson in why Dusk Wings become untargetable. That really wasn’t the point of the post, to be semantically correct on when to suicide themselves…

Mengsk’s Dogs of War calldown gives you so much free money, it isn’t even funny.

2 Likes