Warcraft/Co-op Conflict Found

So in case no one noticed previously, trying to use both Co-op mod and War3 Classic together at the same time results in most of the War3 sounds disappearing and a lot of error message spam. I have since figured out, with the help of another user on Discord, that this is due to an arbitrary limit being reached.

More specifically, due to what I assume is either a bug or a possible engine limitation, Actors and Sounds are on the same internal limit when determining whether either one has reached the arbitrary limit. I have calculated said arbitrary limit to be 45,400, give or take about a hundred. The two mods have a combined Actor/Sound total of 48,217 entries, which is well above said limit. If I remove just the War3 sounds, the total number of entries is 45,399, which when juxtaposed with the 45,400 limit lines up with situations where every War3 sound has gone missing except “UnderAttackOrc” (Not sure why that one stays in this situation)

I think the bug is less the limit (like it or not, limits are necessary), and more the fact that two of the single biggest data types (two of the top three - only Conversations is bigger) share the same internal cap. I don’t know if this is an unknown bug or undiscovered/undocumented engine limitation, though, so don’t say I fully solved the issue just yet…

so are you saying your playing both warcraft 3 and starcraft 2 at the same time.

No, there’s a “War3 Classic” mod you can select when you create a map or mod that contains a large portion of the War3 stuff. But if you select it alongside the Co-op mod, then serious bugs occur.

if thats a custom map made by some one other than blizzard its not the forums or blizzards problem but who ever actually created the map

It’s not tied to any specific map, it’s a bug with loading the two mods simultaneously.

So I’ve found out a few more things regarding the actor/sound shared limit: First, there is a Sound Groups category that groups Actors and Sounds together, the significance of which is unclear. But I feel this is the whole reason the limit is being shared in the first place, so that custom tab needs to go. Also, adding a new sound in this scenario crashes the editor 100% of the time. So yeah, sorry to whoever uses them, but the Sound Group category probably has to go.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.