Very uneven skills?

Anyone else have insanely uneven skills? This season in Diamond 2 I have a 22-4 record in TvZ but a 2-12 record in TvT.

Basically my TvT is on platinum level and my TvZ is on Masters level. In TvT I am dead before the game even starts while in TvZ I know what my opponent will be doing two minutes before he is actually doing it.

1 Like

Yes, different matchups require different methods of playing. Don’t let whiners tell you this is about balance. If you’re not Top 16 GM, you’re not winning OR losing due to balance whatsoever, and even at that level balance is concerning 1-2% of outcomes.

Watch your replays, learn a BO or 2 for the matchup your struggling in, and figure out what you need to improve.

5 Likes

Pretty bad for me. I am Plat 2 getting close to Plat 1. Just came back after not playing since WoL when I was Diamond Toss.

Overall 40-30 (57%)
PVP 10-6 (62%)
PVT 20-6 (76%)
PVZ 10-18 (35%)

PVZ just kills me for some reason. I would like to believe it is balance and I think it is a little bit. But I know its mostly just my lack of skill in PvZ and an actual mental block. I get so anxious about nydus all ins or baneling busts, or just letting the zerg get too far ahead in economy that it stunts my play and I don’t set the pace.

I’m a Diamond Toss, just need to be persistent with your probe scouting and learn what it means when Zerg makes certain moves.
If they take two gasses before they saturate their natural, there’s a nydus or baneling bust coming. At that point look for a baneling nest and check the Lair timing. If Zerg isn’t taking their third by minute 3, just make non stop units and scout constantly to see what they’re making.

If you see a roach den instead, make either 2 void rays (if you went stargate) or start pumping out immortal, sentry, stalker (if you went robo).

If your scout probe dies, make a sentry and use hallucinated Phoenix to scout. Make sure to make shield batteries if you see cheese coming.

If a nydus lands in your main, evacuate to your natural and defend that. If you don’t lose probes, saccing your main is acceptable and the Z will still be behind.

If Zerg isn’t cheesing…make sure to take your 3rd at minute 5. Even if it seems like a bad idea, putting down the nexus and 2 pylons to put adepts between (to limit surface area for zerglings) will put you ahead in the long run (assuming you secure it).

To put it in perspective, Rotti regularly holds baneling bust all-ins against GM players when he goes Nexus first. I highly recommend watching his stream, he has one of the best PvZs in the world.

2 Likes

That’s because terran is crazy favored in TvZ right now so you win your TvZ even though you don’t have the skill to win TvT at the same level.

3 Likes

And yet, professional TVZ is riding high at a stunning 46%! Last league was even better at 44.4%! In fact, if you go back for the last two years, Terran have historically had a well under 50% win rate! All because they’re so overpowered!

The 44.4% includes games from before the patch. The 46% that you quote is from a difference of 3 games 18-21.

Seems to be the case for most Terrans these days :thinking:

2 Likes

So you haven’t got any data. What little data you do have is insufficient and points to the opposite of your conclusion, but you feel like Terran is OP, so they must be.

terran is op being all of zergs tools to fight terran have been gutted for no good reason.

I know this is well above your intelligence, but try to follow:

If TvZ is Terran favored, then ALL the terrans would get an MMR boost. If ALL the terrans get an MMR boost, that would mean that the terrans at the same level would also be boosted, and would be as bad as him. So, if it was balance he would still have close to 50% winrate in TvT. So, you are wrong, it’s not imbalance, you are just bad.

He doesn’t know how to play, but you don’t need to know how to play to win TvZ on the current patch.

Similar situation here. I can beat m1 zergs and terrans (as p), but it’s a complete coin flip with pvp. I could die to the diamond 1 in one day and beat a m2 in another. Biggest coin flip matchup ever.

5 different Zergs. 65% of tournaments. 5 ZvZ finals. 3 tournaments won from each of the other two races. “No good reason.”

TvT is very different from other match ups because it significantly overemphasises positioning relative to other matchups.

I guess I’m proof that Terran is crazy underpowered against Zerg and can only win against Terran then? My TvT is 23-9 (71%) while my TvZ is 12-14 (46%).

You obviously are not using battlecruisers to their greatest efficiency.

Wel… the matchups play vastly different… It’s normal that maybe you understood one better, or maybe you are using one unit combo in both matchups … and thusly it being better in the other one… many reasons. Terran is very very specialized in their macro depending on their strategy… so seeing this result is no surprise.

Zerg on the other hand is quite general, it almost doesn’t matter what units you will get, the macro is about the same.

Protoss as allways is the middle ground.

You probably don’t have an efficient build (opening) - that’s all.
It could also be a micro thing but the main thing should be your first 4-5 minutes.
Whatever build / strat you loose against most is what you should do yourself in a mirror matchup.

Dominate P vs P. Dominate P vs Z. Under 50% vs Terran, solely because I like to tech and that’s not allowed. Tempest = worthless. Carrier = worthless. HT hard countered. Colossi = owned by libs and vikings.

Vikings > every Toss unit, thus I will never win a game unless I go caveman style and only spam stalkers and zealots and don’t give them enough time. Nothing to do about skills, unfortunately. Only balance.

What is hard countering your HTs? I agree, colossus is garbage.

One thing I do is always be ready to go DTs. If he fast expands I start poking with my first gateway units immediately, Helps if I can kill his reapers so we cant scout later. I like to make it look like I am going mass (blink) stalkers and then DTs show up. Worst case is I have map control. Best case I get huge worker damage, never let him build turrets and just tear him apart while I (double) expand. Doesn’t always work but you would be surprised.

Only crappy thing is once I am super eco ahead is that he may still be able to turtle the game for next 25+ minutes ><