Very short freeze every ~3 seconds

Hello,

I just downloaded StarCraft again after a very long time but it keeps freezing for like a fraction of a second at all times. I could be in the main menu, or during a cinematic. I haven’t tried to play yet because I want to get this fixed first.

I am playing on:

Windows 10
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor 3.60Ghz
16GB RAM
GeForce RTX 2060

I installed all updates to Windows 10 and used GeForce Experience to update my graphics card. I’m in no way qualified to identify what’s wrong so please help!

Thanks

edit1: I just launched The Witcher 3 and it runs smoothly

Hey, Shiakaron! Could you provide a DxDiag file to check out? Copy and paste the text file created and paste it between two ~~~ like so:

~~~
DxDiag Here
~~~

If you have issues pasting here, use Pastebin and post the end of the link. (ie. 123456 for pastebin.com/123456)

r7HJVPz6

Please let me know if that works alright

Thanks Shiakaron,

Looking at the DXDIAG I see a few things I’d recommend that may help with the brief stuttering. First try wiping the Nvidia driver with DDU

1. Download DDU here
    • Click on the first link under “Announcements” titled Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU). Then click the “Official Download Here” link to start the download.
  2. Run the .exe file and extract the contents to the default location. Open the new folder and run the Display Driver Uninstaller.
  3. You will get a pop-up saying it is recommended to reboot in Safe Mode, feel free to ignore this if you are not familiar with how to get into Safe Mode. To start the removal process, click on the driver type on the right side first, then click “Clean and restart”
  4. Once the PC restarts, go ahead and download the current drivers here: Geforce Driver Results | NVIDIA
  5. Run the driver installer and use the default/recommended install steps.

I’d also recommend resetting the game settings before testing the game again.

If it’s still happening, try rebooting using Selective Startup which will allow us to see if it’s happening due to a background process or non-Microsoft service.

Press Windows Key+R.
Type msconfig and press Enter.
Select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.
Select the Services tab.
Check Hide all Microsoft services.
Note: Skipping this step may prevent your computer from rebooting correctly.
Click Disable all.
Click Apply then click OK.
Click Restart.

Hey Jambrix,

I did everything you instructed. Unfortunately the problem persists :confused:

Is there a way to share a video of the issue? Will that help at all?

Hey, Shiakaron! Thank you for the details here! We shouldn’t need a video in this situation, but if you wanted to include one a video sharing website like youtube should do. Paste the URL between two ` (~ key) like so:

`Link Here`

As for what we can see in the DxDiag, there were some pre-leak errors with SC2. This generally shouldn’t cause an issue. Could you see if closing the background applications and a new admin account behaves the same way with the freezing?

If it seems to continue, could you contact our technical support team directly to take a deeper look into the system files? We’ll want an MSINFO for more details on the system and to check for additional errors. Please do not post the MSINFO on the forums as it can contain personal information.

Hey,
I’m here totally by accident but I decided I could bring something to the table. Freezing sound like a very generic problem but If those stutters are by any chance kinda going back by one frame (you can see it on loading bar clearly) try swaping between borderless window and fullscreen.

Hello all,

I am experiencing this issue as well with SC2. I tried other games and everything just fine even with heavy games like Witcher 3, Metro Exodus…
The lag/ stutter happened when I am playing game, boxing/switching/ selecting units building and lag happened. And I looked at the Fps in game it dropped dramatically then go back up. I don’t know what happening but im sure it causes the lag when fps dropped.
I still don’t know how to fix it. Its really annoying when you have to micro units and have battle vs others.
I hope Blizzard will look into this issue and fix it for good!
Regards,

Hey Caterpepi,

After trying what you suggested I reset my pc and installed only:

Battle.net
Starcraft 2
Graphics card drivers

The problem still occurs. I will proceed to contact the technical support team.

Thanks

edit1: and of course all windows 10 updates

Thanks for the update and giving those a try, Shiakaron! Hopefully, our support team can help with the issue further.

For everyone else, we advise to start your own threads. It’s difficult to troubleshoot multiple issues on one thread. If we find a common trend, we can gather them and merge them as needed or start a main topic. If starting a new topic doesn’t seem ideal or you’d like to work with us directly, please contact our technical support team.