Upgrades not affecting Mengsk Royal Guard

Weapon and armor upgrades don’t seem to affect Mengsk RG, only the bonuses from leveling up count.

I was quite certain its a visual bug, but just now I bothered to actually check, and it seems that indeed upgrades dont affect RG and I’ve been wasting 900 gas each game for 2 years.

Editor data says likewise.

Curious how many more Mengsk players didn’t realize that.

I just assumed that was how it was supposed to work…
Level upgrades from Ebay only affect Troopers and Enthralled Zerg
Level upgrades on RG come from individually leveling them up. Their rank not only unlocks unique abilities, but also corresponds to the weapon and armor lv upgrades

Thanks to it also buffing the Zeerg, I find that the upgrades prove to be pretty useful. Also the tool tip doesn’t mention RGs, though I wouldn’t blame anyone for not reading them.

True, it is still quite useful as even for a full RG army Im still using Dogs of War on cooldown but I feel pretty fooled that I did not realize weapon and armor upgrades were coming from leveling up only.

I’ll still aim for 3/3 every game but probably with a lower priority now since I mostly faceroll with 9 - 10 Prides P2 or 24 ESOs.

I knew it and keep making it because troopers are still big part of an army, especially in early game.

Knew and never research them cuz I run P2 RGs. Good reminder to let ppl know though.

Surely makes sense to do some/all Weapon upgrades and skip the Armour upgrades? Even level 2 weapons costs a total of just 250/250 (compared to 450/450 for level 3) and should significantly increase the damage output of Dogs of War (especially when it comes to cleaning up enemy bases etc).

Level 3 weapons would double the damage output of Zerglings versus buildings right?

Or the exact opposite if playing mainly Royal Guard, to improve the protection of workers if they get caught in a non-intercepted base attack, or Mengsk healbus (drop the gun Maria!) that support his marauders and ghosts, or workers dropped to repair mechanical stuff, or who know what.

I’m not so sure. In my experience, P2 runs a fairly tight gas expenditure. By that I mean you can get the upgrades (as you suggest) but at a cost of slower RG roll out, RG levels, and Mandate rate.

All of that impact your game far more than keeping up (or staying ahead in DoW upgrades). And that’s the portion that counts.

In practice, DoW makes a good enough of a splash/spike damage that it covers what you need during that early-mid game. Past this point, your RGs are already rolling through the map.

Do I think the upgrades are worthless? No. Do they add value? Yes. However, are they adding “more value” than earlier RGs? I don’t think so. The major difference being 1 or 2 upgrades takes significant time to achieve due to time alone. And it’s that time lost that’s the impact.

They are supposed to work like that.

Trooper Upgrades are only for Troopers. The Royal Guard units level up and gain upgrades as they level up.

It helps to think of Royal Guard units as more like hero units than actual units. Your Troopers are meant to be ultra expendable and your Royal Guard are supposed to be expensive up front, elite and only in need of a bit of micro once they are on the field. Losing a Royal Guard unit is supposed to hurt a lot worse because of the way their experience system works, so take care of them if you plan on using them.