Uniformization of the Tal'Darim appearance

Starcraft II has been a singular product for quite some time now, with a campaign selection system much like in SC/BW. I’ve been thinking - would it require that much effort to retroactively edit the Tal’darim from WOL and HOTS missions to match the appearance of the LOTV Tal’darim? Three missions, three different artistic directions - while understandable, it’s a bit hard to suspend your disbelief for. Swapping out the buildings and units for their dark red skins in the previous campaigns shouldn’t be extremely difficult to implement, now should it?

2 Likes

In the case of the Tal’darim it would be a bit more effort than just swapping them in. There are two big issues, the first being that prior to some of the missions we see Raynor look over a Tal’darim base on his view screens. This would require that view screen to be remade with the new footage, which would be a bit more effort than swapping the skins.

The second (lesser one) is Nyon would probably have to be remade, since his portrait doesn’t really fit with the rest of the Tal’darim (blue instead of red). Then that also raises the question of does his unlockable Versus portrait get changed too.

Not that this isn’t doable, it’s just be a little more involved than swapping out the skins. I’m more for swapping in the Umojan skins in Back in the Saddle, which not only requires very little effort, but the current skins fit the cutscenes way better than the current “look it’s the mercenary units.”

2 Likes

Yeah, there are also the cutscenes, I forgot about that. Though these could be redone with the same camera parameters simply after swapping out the units. Nyon’s portrait is another story though. Still, my personal OCD kinda demands it :smiley:

1 Like

The other issue is that there’s countless footage of those missions on YouTube with tutorials, let’s plays, etc. It’s kind of already set in stone.

That being said, I think they should still do it. The campaign never gets any love. WoL doesn’t even have a master archives.

2 Likes

I’d like to see them swap out the factions skins that they developed for Co-Op. Like Mira Han’s stuff in the Cutthroat mission could have her Co-op mercenary skins.

4 Likes

or like keep the dominion red instead of blue when they became “good” guys so anoying to always play against red i WANT TO BE RED SOMETIMES U KNOW thats why i love sc1 terran mission cuz u play as red on some of them

3 Likes

DON’T MASTER ARCHIVE ME WITH WOL.

clears throat

Please.

Or actually provide units the multiplayer changes that made sense. The HotS campaign’s Swarm Hosts are weak as hell since the campaign came out moments before they received a much needed buff to their dps in multiplayer.

4 Likes

The issue with that is do you provide the nerfs as well? WoL with the nerfed siege tank damage sounds pretty painful.

Well, I sorta already said it;

There would still be some multiplayer vs campaign differentiation. IMO, what they should primarily focus on is buffing the campaign units that don’t see much use, such as actually giving the Swarm Hosts their dps buff.

2 Likes

Isn’t there a mod that does this? I don’t care about unit portraits and such, I just want the different factions to wear their new skins.

Nope. Blizzard never gave modders access to the actual campaign.

Bit of a missed opportunity with the anniversary patch, they could have fixed some or all of these things.

BTW, think the dark green Protoss skins are going to become available sometime? The ones you fight in WoL in the 2nd Zeratul mission (against Maar), and that were also reused in the Narud mission in HotS. The Ihan-rii skins are similar, but not quite the same.

2 Likes