Two stupid changes that can change the whole game for each race... Are they crap, or are they worth it?

Terran:
—“Civilian” units now spawn every 5 seconds from a Supply Depot. They can only move to an allied and rallied Terran Barracks/Command Center and have half the stats of an SCV. They will only spawn if rallied from a depot to a production. Terrans now start with a Supply Depot, and barracks require two depots to build.
—“Barracks”, “Command Center/Orbital Command/Planetary Fortress” now can only produce units if there are enough Civilians cued. For example, 50 minerals and 1 Civilian for a Marine to spawn. Factories and Starports consume Marines to create new units, such as 30 marines for a Battlecruiser. This also lowers the direct unit cost due to the variable amount of civilians.

Zerg:
—Lairs/Hives grant access to a “Feeding Ground” where you can develop one-time evolutions (Remember Abathur?) to help with gameplay and new concepts. For example (for those that lack HoTS), you can either increase Zergling damage and give them a leaping attack (like Chargelots) or you can make them spawn almost instantly. However, it would only be one or the other.
—Queens can no longer infuse larva and only need minerals, but at least one queen must be alive within 3 tiles of a Hatchery/5 of Lair/within sight of Hive for it to produce larva, and if the Queen is within that range, training speed is 1.25%.

Protoss:
—Nexii now have Power Fields like a Pylon (this is a really big one for pt. 2), and no longer have the ability to Chrono Boost. Mass Recall works on any location with Pylon power, and Probes take 1 second less time to make (because no more chrono boost)
—The big one, the great nerf that will absolutely change Protoss… A pylon’s power field absolutely MUST reach one other power source. This is why Nexii now provide power. This cuts off the Cannon Rush cheese (you’re very welcome, although it’s really just a strong strat, you guys hate it). Pylons now have increased shield regen, and the repective batteries now no longer exist.

Random (I know it’s only one buff):
—Unit production speed for playing this is slightly faster, and all units have 5% increased health and damage.

2 Likes

So you want to make a hard game even harder and more complex? Why?

1 Like

Maybe in sc3, but for sc2 that would be too crazy and big of a change.

Pylons are now creep spread and proxies don’t exist. Additionally losing said metaphorical “creep tumor” can cost you supply

so zerg cant do any thing at the start because no queen. also, holding early hellions is gone because you need the queens at the base

1 Like

I’ll definitely give you 5 stars for creativity, but those are some drastic game changes. If you go make a mod for it, give it a go. Also if you have to turn Protoss into tech creep, return pylons to 7 radius.

Also since warp prisms provide power, you should be able to use them to make remote pylons. Otherwise, your ideas would would need a vast array of other balance changes.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for the feedback. Also, just for clarification, a person was helpful earlier in helping explain scouting and other Pylon points by using Warp Prisms to extend the range of things, and they would get a much larger radius.

Sounds like this would be an interesting mod, but probably not to be implemented for vanilla starcraft. The game is already difficult to learn, even if this change is cool, it may be a bit too much. Some programmers might have to completely rework campaign with these new features so new players aren’t totally lost when they transition from campaign to multiplayer.

The Abathur rules are especially creative and cool. About a year or two ago, there was a Co-op mutation called “Sudden but Inevitable” which featured Co-op commanders and abilities fighting in 1v1 unranked games. I liked the idea, but people argued that this would have been too difficult to balance into a serious 1v1 format when players can choose “upgrades” and “special abilities” of certain units.

I don’t get why Terrans should have to sacrifice units in order to produce more advanced units.

just make a mod, dude

1 Like

I would, bu I have no idea how. I’m currently trying to make a dungeon crawler based of the Carbot series to learn this stuff (Dear goodness trying to make a interceptor-like unit is a PAIN)

Think of it as actually “training” the Marines. These Marines learn to fly these Vikings and Battlecruisers, pilot the light vehicles and heavy mechs made in the Factory, etc.

I really like your creativity. Polishing the ideas enough and tweaking them is the next step.

where there are creativity for terrans? its just copy from stronghold, where civilians used for army, i have nothing against it, but there is nothing unusual here. Do people now have such a poor fantasy now that mixing two games now looks like the pinnacle of creativity?

None of these sound fun, at all.