TvT vs mass BC....how to defend?

Hi I play a lot of unranked and the highest I’ve been is gold 1 but I often find myself playing against bronze and silver players since I play unranked so much (don’t like the pressure of ranked lol) I use a lot of strategies that are better for higher leagues and most
Bronze/silver terrans end up rushing mass BCs because it’s the easiest way for them to win. Just check spawning tool. All the builds have a few hundred likes while the BC rush build has almost 10,000. I’m aware that Vikings can kite BCs as well as cyclones but say you’re doing a marine medivac tank build and you’ve a amassed a decent sized army before the opponent shows their BCs. What is the best way to transition in order to deal with that? I know, I know, the best way to deal with it is to prevent them from getting there in the first place but $&;+ happens… would you say counter attack? Since tanks are useless against BCs and marines are only good when the BCs are unupgraded… hella turrets don’t seem to make much of a difference especially when they have more than like 3-4 BCs, and most my scvs get killed on their way to repairing the turrets… u can make some BCs yourself but if they have a head start on you it’s almost impossible to match them. When I see a fusion core I like to push into their third base to prevent them from having the economy to mass BCs like that…at what time should I start scanning/scouting for the fusion core? Are Thor’s effective? Widow mines can be super effective but only if the BC runs into them; if you try to reposition them they get killed before they burrow. If anyone knows of a build that’s super defensive against potential mass BC that would be super useful or if there is a strategy to deal with them that would be super helpful. My main focus is to prevent them from amassing a bunch of BCs so telling me to just prevent them from getting there isn’t helpful unless you include some tips on how to do so, I’m mostly just asking about the cases in which its too late for that. Thanks a bunch in advance!-Slim

To beat mass BC, build vikings. They do fairly well on their own, but can work even just a-moved.

If you add few ravens to the mix, you will stomp on enemy BC.

Dont try to fight it with turrets, marines or cyclones. First is immobile, meaning only 2-3 will engage BCs at a time, doing no dmg before dying.

Marine and cyclone are too fragile to be option on your lvl.

1 Like

Vikings,and never try to use thors,yamato destroys them,this afternoon I made some of them and paid the price,an easy win turned into a close lost game.

Just remember that 1 raven can disable up to 2 bcs and vikings are faster and have much more range than bcs. And both of those units are cheaper than a bc

1 Like

What the others have said. I find that if the terran opens banshees they usually then switch to BC’s for the late game. Always remember to scan their main every now and then. If battle cruisers are spotted start massing up some vikings, and putting missile turrets in your mineral lines.

1 Like

I’m a mech player and Thors in high-impact mode work pretty well against BCs in my experience. However, if you’re doing a bio build you probably won’t have enough factories to crank them out in sufficient quantity.

1 Like

Don’t listen to these overmemers. You’re in gold. I advice you to make the SCV and 12+ barracks. Then you make the marine. When you reach platinum (you got this fam gogo) you can advance to BM in the chat while you STIM TO WIN. Don’t worry about the tanks. It’s fine. Send the expendables of your marines to eat the shots while you micro closer with the main force.
When they eventually die you amove the next round of marines in. Even in plat you should be able to get in at least a few lines of insults.

Towers need to be clustered and have several supply depots around them. If the opponent A-moves he will shoot supply depots and the towers will last a little bit longer. It is best to have about 6 towers in a small area where your new troops can rally. Putting a few towers around each mining operation will not help very much by itself. Thors, marines and vikings can strike the opponent then kite back into tower zone.

Widow mines are awesome against BC’s. If trying to run under BC’s they can go with other troops, like thors and marines who will be primary targets. Better yet, burrow just out of vision and hit and run with other troops. Putting one or two widow mines in each mineral line is smart. Usually the BC fleet has to explore every mineral line repeatedly, the attrition really adds up.

Cyclones are very good against buildings and they can run away from BC’s. A rather small force of cyclones and hellions will force the BC’s to teleport back to defend their mining bases. So they exert tremendous map control without beating the BC’s directly.

Thors are good, but it is hard to beat somebody who maxes on pure BC’s. If you can harrass enemy mining with cyclones or marines, the BC player will often leave a few wounded BC’s to defend. With superior numbers and high impact payload Thors will crush them.

You what? If you have a factory in TvT making widow mines to counter BC’s you’ve failed as a human being and are a disgrace to the whole double helix DNA you’re comprised of. Why not make cyclones (units designed to counter BC’s) Instead?
I also notice that you’ve not mentioned the raven in any of this rambling. Ravens disable the BC. It is useless and clones kill the BC. I understand that the disable key is hard to hit but placing 2 mines in mineral lines instead of just winning the game???

Literally pure raven. Wins every time.

Mirror matchups are pretty simple:
Just do the strategy you think is most op and then work on your mechanics (build SCVs non-stop, don’t get supply-blocked, constantly scout, spend your ressources asap (that’s the hardest part because you need a plan like a dream army and when to get gas) and get your upgrades on time.
So post replays and talk to people. Whatever wins, wins.

I encountered MASS BC + Missle Tower + Tank + BattlerCruiser once. My strategy was keep pushing the opponent with the marins. Assist with a few Thor, Thank, Liberator. Don’t let it have more than three rescouse spots, even in huge sacrifies. Expand my resources spots. Finally use the Nukes to finish the game.
Units loss ratio is 300+ vs 90+. So many good marins.

2 Likes

Don’t forget helions or med drops, hell even a single groop of marines is ok.
If you do this on mid game i would sugest to snipe out the fushion core and as many labs as you can.
Because if he just started to produce the BC’s taking out fushion core should slow him down whit atleast 20 minutes, time long enoughe for you to spam as many vikings and to wipe out as many svc as you can.

Belive me all terran players go for only one fushion core while going for mass BC so it shouldn’t be a problem, however the player may be have basic thinking and may start building as many star-ports as he can “in efofort not to waste time” after you take out the fushion core so thats why you need to wipe out his scv’s so he can end up whit a lot of starports but no resources for BC’s thus giving you even more time to spam vikings and marines

Build mass vikings and ravens with mines.

1 Like

Mass Viking & Raven.

Harass with clumps of WMs and Ghost/Nuke.

:wink:

Hi there,

I am a Gold 1 player. I made a video for you of one of my games showing you how. Opponent was about 2,400 MMR. Link below (remove the space after https as system wouldn’t allow me to share a link).

Note that I say ‘banshees’ a few times mistakenly in video but mean cyclone.

Basically if you scout it, you need to use a combination of stimmed marines, cyclones, vikings, widow mines, and missile turrets. As shown in video it works very well. You can also use Ravens & interference matrix but that’s a more difficult counter best used by stronger players.

Cheers,

https ://drive.google.com/file/d/1B203wr-F0qDDQ49sik99p10Txcc1iJnE/view?usp=drive_web

The only thing is mass vikings, 2 ravens for anti armor missiles and thors

They go down quite easily actually I recommend you don’t build bcs in Tvt… maybe 1 or 2 to throw in the back of their base as a counter attack

Well damn, I forgot Ravens exist and do anything useful against BCs :frowning: Just had a 50 minute long game of losing constantly for the last 35 minutes.

And then I had a bigger problem with penetrating the opponent’s base defenses than dealing with BCs themselves. He walled off with a line of supply depots, then a wall of missile turrets behind them, and sieged tanks behind the turrets. It was a massacre. I tried cyclones + Vikings, later Thors. Both worked against the BCs, nothing worked against the wall.

I have found if you can out expand your opponent then getting to BC tank is really useful. BC’s to counter the other BC’s teleport and then tanks to deal with mines and thors and building etc.