TvP, how to defend after a failed attempt to attack

In TvP, i find everything has to be perfect to beat protoss players. There are moments where i fail to approximate their armies. For example, When i scout and see that they are about 100/200 and decides to attack, it becomes 130/200-150/200 by the time my units arrive the opponents base area (they just warp in so many units all of sudden).

But the question is, how would I defend after that. For one single failed attempt to attack, i always lose. It is not for the other way around.

Do i just create massive bunkers in my base?

1 Like

In my view, the main issue for <3k players & why the P match up seems so much more difficult for T players is that P requires no micro. You can just build a bunch of stalkers, zealots, immortals, archons & colossi and A click on your opponent’s base. Same with void rays & carriers.

The T army works differently. You have to micro your units sufficiently to get maximum value out of them. You have to siege your tanks & liberators at the right time & place; same with burrowing widow mines. You have to stim your marines/marauders and have medivacs on hand to heal, but not too close to army they just get shot down. Etc. It means it’s very easy to lose what should be a fair fight against P by making micro errors. Once you get above >3k this difference lessens as T players will have basic micro instinctively down, neutralizing this disadvantage.

What you’re referring to above is actually the ‘defenders advantage’ that applies to all races, because all races can build more units while the opponent’s army is moving across the map. For P a warp prism can reduce that defenders advantage for other races though - another reason P has an advantage.

Warp in seems unfair but there is a cool down, and they do need the resources on hand. There is a slight offset for T from reactors which allow you to build 2 units at a time from same production facility, although this doesn’t apply to stronger units. Scans & sensor towers also help you position your army better than P to prepare defense as you have improved instant visibility on the composition & location of the opponent’s army. Terran also have superior ranged units - particularly the siege tank, which in numbers & well positioned can do devastating damage.

The reality is that if you look at the pro level, we actually see more T players than P players atm. So at high levels, there is no imbalance. It’s just that I think you need to be a more skillful player to take advantage of the benefits T has to offer. So P is overpowered for lower level players but neutralises as you get better.

2 Likes

One way is to rally the units you already have and to not rally the production buildings to the toss base, keep the new units at ur base in case u fail the atack so u have something to deff and ofc to deff u musnt lose like al ur army for nothing cuz u lose 100%…

Hmmm… Just don’t lose your army. Don’t be afraid to pick off their units / pylons. Try to snipe bases and make sure that you don’t fight into their batteries. Tanks and widowmines are good when dealing with colossus / archons. Widowmines are good vs DTs, zealots, stalkers… Just basically counter with units, and don’t throw your army. Be sure to remax fast and push early or else protoss will attack with powerful units. Think of protoss as a disease. If you don’t quarantine the disease it’ll snowball and become a pandemic… You have to quarantine the protoss!