TIL: The Starcraft universe has a planet colonized by Mormons

Frankly? No. Tychus is a known variable, at least to Raynor. He doesn’t have free run of the ship, Horner is watching him, and they know (or at least believe) that he is working for Moebius, who they have no conflict with, and indeed are on at least decent terms with. They have no reason to believe that Tychus is actively working against their interests unless they start it.

‘Drunk Tychus tells everybody they cannot trust Jim, roughs up Swann and tries to brawl Jimmy boy.’
R: "Hey buddy, what was that all about?
T: “Oh, nothing really.”
R: “Alright then.”
‘Moves on.’

Tychus straight up tells Jim that he’s frustrated and alarmed because he’s been enjoying the rebel life and having some moral certainty in the fights they pick for a change, and now from his perspective Jim is about to go engage in a suicide mission and end it all. And frankly, its the truth. Tychus doesn’t want Jim to go to Char and fight Kerrigan. If Jim does that, its going to force a confrontation that Tychus doesn’t want, even if they win.

2 Likes

We don’t have enough actual Blizzard material to have a very precise profile of Tychus. The campaign paints him pretty linear with only a few exceptions - one being this part. Is that good or bad, you be the judge, I like the change but I think it’s all too sudden, Jimbo should’ve noticed it between clicking on everybody on the ship. Anyway, my point is about how stupid/incompetent Jim is portrayed at times, not being able to communicate a message, talk to his people, listen to them, etc. A man running from higher powers not asking for help from a powerful psychic for example. Granted, he doesn’t trust Tosh, fair enough. Literally everybody tells him that Tychus is bad news because this and that, and he brushes it off. Again, granted, he brushes literally everything off.

First off, you have to understand that Jim really, really doesn’t want to use ghosts (or spectres) as his personal enforcers. Its just morally repugnant to him to be using telepaths to police his followers like that.

Secondly, Tychus is not a Raider, not really, for most of the missions. He pilots the Odin, but at the end of the day he’s the liaison for Moebius and very much working with Jim for the money, not out of any moral reason. Ditto with Tosh. Jim doesn’t want to get involved in their external baggage, and he outright tells Tychus that there will be problems if his debts come and hurt the Raiders. Friendship only goes so far, and he knows the Raiders have enough troubles of their own without taking on Tychus’ as well. Raynor is willing to not pry into Tychus’ private debts any more than necessary out of gratitude, but that’s as far as it goes.

Well I don’t know about that, as nothing I’ve seen in WoL made me realize Jim has a moral problem with Ghosts or Spectres. And some morals he has.

I think Jimbo was just not ready for the raw sexual appeal Tychus had unleashed in his gray little life.

I mean, one generally shouldn’t need to explicitly call out that they have problems with the idea of literal thought police. Raynor asks Tosh about Tychus, once, after the bar fight, out of legitimate concern for his motives, and Tosh basically responds with a shrug. Tosh could probably have pried further, if he was willing to pick an open fight with a sober Tychus, but there wasn’t a lot of justification for that.

I didn’t actually know that. I guess in my only finished WoL playthrough Tosh died by that point.

Tosh has a few discussions with Raynor about the loyalties of his crew, and while he knows Tychus has something he doesn’t want to do, and he knows that somebody on the ship is working for Mengsk, he cant definitively prove any connection between the two.

I know that much. I was going through everything I could click all the time because I wanted more to the story. I think one part why I really don’t appreciate the storytelling in either of the campaigns (except NCO) is because the missions can be picked in almost any order, therefore characters who at the time should be unfriendly/hostile/whatever to each other cannot be. Ruins a whole lot of narrative.

I do think it hurt Wings in particular to have such a varied mission order. HotS and especially LoV are better about it.

1 Like

I think the main difference is in HotS and LoV, the mission order adds to your cast, not subtracts.

Doing one set of missions before the other can lead to you having more people onboard to give their current perspective, but at no point do you lose cast members.

In WoL, it’s the opposite. Any character who’s on the Hyperion for side missions will leave once you finish their chain, so you’re incentivised to save the last missions in those chains for right before you head to Char.

Not really, this applies only for Hanson and non-canon ending of Tosh’s arc.

And Tosh and Hanson are the best part of the Hyperion crew, so . . .

How is Hanson any close to Tychus or Tosh?

Besides, (wo)man of the people and angel on Raynor’s shoulder roles are already covered by Swann and Horner.

Her most important role is being someone who listens to Raynor’s SC1 story.

Besides, her story arc is butchered by Safe Haven being canon.

Because she’s non-military and non-criminal, meaning she brings a very different perspective from the rest of the crew.

Everyone else’s points are just varying degrees of “we have a problem, so let’s blow it up.”

Even her character takes a hit in Haven’s Fall where she gets really upset that Raynor… kills Zergs and infested camps, aka the same sh!t he did in Meinhoff. You even save uninfested civilians, it’s much better than the Protoss “burn everything” motto. Alas, she took it as Arthas purging Stratholme…

1 Like

Hanson was just, really dull, took all the lab conversations away from Stetman too. Even though hes the classic nerd trope, he at least had some personality.

Horner was dull too, but he had that thing with Mira and served as Raynors ideological foil, so it was at least tolerable.

So I take it your prefered solution is “we have a problem, so let’s blow it up?”

He can go wherever he wants and Horner found him hacking into their files. On what planet is this not “free run of the ship?” :thinking:

They theorize it’s Moebius but they don’t actually know. It warrants investigation to say the least, which Raynor prohibits. Even if that’s the excuse, it goes out the window as soon as they find out that Moebius is owned by Arcturus’s son.

Raynor’s opinion on policing your crew with telepaths = morally repugnant
Raynor’s opinion on Kerrigan’s mass genocide = a-ok

That goes out the window as soon as Tosh says this:

Raynor
You sit up here watching everything. Tell me what you see. Tychus just a mean drunk?

Tosh
I wish it was just that. All that jealousy and rage - he’s fighting himself over something he don’t want to do. You’ll see.

Tosh basically holds up a sign that says “wake up, this guy is gonna betray you.”

He literally asks the one mind reader aboard the ship about Tychus’s thoughts and you interpret it as the opposite. :thinking:

Because that’s Kelthar’s headcanon and not in the game. He uses ghosts & spectres. Raynor actually has no problem asking Tosh about Tychus. Tosh also tells him that he can feel that someone on the ship is already working for Mengsk.

Maybe Raynor isn’t going to go around and sit people down individually while Tosh scans them, as that would kill morale, but there’s no evidence he’s “above” using a mind-reader to spy on people.