Thunder Bird LE

Hey all,
I am having a hard time playing on Thunderbird as a Zerg player in D2. There is one choke point into the nat and third combined unless you get drones to mine the minerals on either side of the map i feel like this is a big disadvantage for Zerg. On top of that a fourth base is very difficult to take having a good amount of dead-space behind it and being far away from my nat with plenty of places for a Terran to siege up in-front. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this? I really like the map and don’t want to ban it out.
Thanks for any help!

Sometimes, it is a little easier to secure the fourth on the base outside of the reduced mineral fields. It’s not too much of an inconvenience to mine them out, and your opponent will have to walk much further to get to your base, so if you scout an attack coming. As for the choke problem, I’d suggest mostly going for longer games rather then all-ins. Eventually, your opponent will be spread enough to where you can run lings in and out of mineral lines. If you keep your macro ahead, and do enough damage with run by’s, you should be able to win the game.

4th base on the low ground near the natural base
–> fast creep spread and clear the rocks asap + high ground vision (creep)
Then get 2-3 drones and ralley them to the mineral wall near your 3rd base to get the 5th base near your 3rd base.

The base near that 4th base is important later on because it can mess with your ralley points a lot if that high ground is taken by the enemy.

This is one of my favorite maps as Z. I like to send one drone to mine the enemy’s third minerals before they take their third. Once that route is open up, backstabs are super dangerous because the third is far from the nat by land.

It’s easy to defend as zerg because, well, there’s just that one choke point for you, and then your fourth is in a huge open area where the opponent has to enter from a choke (the fourth in front of your base, but you can open up your own rocks to take that fourth/5th).

If your trouble is terran is sieging up, my bet is your creep spread is lacking. Terran can’t push on creep.

1 Like