The Next Commander After Arcturus

Most people seem to think that Niadra could be a mobile Hatchery. However, she would still need Hatcheries to collect Minerals and Gas.

If that is what we got; that could be pretty cool.

1 Like

I like the idea of streamlined macro for her with Hatcheries and some tech buildings where she quickly spawns units from her own Larva.

Her units and enemies could leave pick-ups to refund resources for some extra income on the go.

She could include some new Zerg based on assimilated versions of creatures from her mission.

Maybe she’d have a poor mobility weakness like Alarak, largely needing to walk her hero around the map with an army that doesn’t get much faster?

There’d also be some inherent risk in using her in battle: and I’d let her somehow support her army to push players to let her fight.

The next commander can become any protoss (quite possibly even Ulrezaj or Raszagal), but not Selendis. I tend to think that the developers have thrown the untapped potential of this beautiful heroine to the landfill, focusing on completely new characters. It’s a terrible blow for me, but there’s nothing I can do about it .
Selendis is destined to appear only in my dreams, no more.

Selendis is currently the most requested Protoss Commander. I doubt she won’t get in. There maybe a chance she isn’t next; but she is likely to come.

I don’t even know if they’ll release any more COs. They might be going weird ways seeing how Mengsk will work and him being the new CO.

Until they actually announce plans to end Co Op support; I’m assuming we will still get a few more Commanders. Quite the few seem to to be planned.

Terran:

• Tosh
  • Valerian
  • Warfield
  • Hanson

Zerg:

• Izsha
  • Overmind
  • Niadra
  • Zurvan

Protoss:

• Selendis
  • Rohana
  • Ji’nara
  • Tassadar

These Commanders are at the very least possible. Whether we will get them… I don’t know.

2 Likes

Kilysa is the name of the broodmother.

General problem with Broodmom’s is to make them distinguishable.

HANSON? Really? She isn’t commander by any definition. (EDITED)

I’d rather see Graven Hill or any character made from scratch.

1 Like

because Abathur is a combatant, right?

Fair assesment, mea culpa. Commander.

I meant to say commander. Point was that Hanson wasn’t at any point military.

And Abathur can actually fight, he took care of himself just fine on Char after Kerrigan got deInfested.

And he engaged in a slapfight with Zagara.

Stettman wasn’t a Commander. He was just a Scientist. A scientist with less credibility than Hanson at the time.

Plus Hanson was in charge of the Haven Colony.

2 Likes

Not of a fan of the pot^ead either. Actually, despite all my loathing reaerved for Izsha, I think she’s better option than Stettman

She was a local political leader at best.

I just want a protoss commander with a real mothership. It’s insanity that the Protoss are the one race in the game with a heroic unit in VS mode, but not one single commander has regular access to that unit.

Reminds me of this gem

—www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWRzp_gxwDE

Donnie Vermillion

(20 characters)

1 Like

But is that really the whole story?

1 Like

I’m not sure if Kilysa would show up outside of portraits and the selection model, but if she’s the Leviathan commander maybe she looks like a flying, possibly leaner Queen?

Not sure what they’d do for personality since she’s a blank slate.

Hanson is definitely not a commander, but we’ve had scientist commanders before in Karax and Stetmann and arguably Abathur.

There’s an appeal to be in Hanson’s Zerg research leading to creating a cybernetic Cerebus brood to protect Haven: turning the enemies that tried to wipe them out into their servants.

But that’s pretty out there admittedly.

Graven Hill, Carolina Davis, or even Warfield could all work as Terran Commanders.

Zerg is the only faction that’s running low on potential commanders.

What’s wrong with Niadra or Papa Cyclops?

I think he’s more of an engineer than a scientist.

Imagine Davis in an Archangel.

Who is the cyclops?

Zerg still has plausible commanders, but they’re running low relative to Terran and Protoss.

True on Karax, though he’s clearly not a traditional commander. Same for Swann.

I’d let her pilot the Xanthos as a calldown or a heroic unit.

Maybe she researches expensive new weapons and abilities for it while her limited Defenders of Man forces buy time and support it.

Papa Cyclops is how I call the Overmind. His Slimy Ballsacks are the Cerebrates. Daggoth could be one commander as well. Karax is not a traditional commander, yes, but he is a Templar by the end of LOTV, and I think he has his stuff together. Same with Swann, who had his fair share of trouble even if he’s not exactly the most fighter type.

The Xanthos would be a very interesting calldown and I would like to see it. She could generally have a focus on high tier mech units or cheap DoM stuff. My money would have been on Warfield for the next commander but Mengsk got to the finish line first.

1 Like

It’s be harder to bring him in since he died before SC2, but interesting.

Karax understands advanced war machines and knows their capabilities to use them well, but I don’t think he has a deep understanding of tactics.

Swann was actually a rebel at some point, but I don’t know if he’s ever been in a command role.

Regardless their styles suit them: build powerful war machines to crush the enemy with brute force.

Maybe the Xanthos could have a roughly 50% up time where you upgrade it in its downtimes and push when it is ready.

Then some of her forces could have a defensive theme to hold the line while waiting for it to return, maybe.

Since her Troopers looked lightly armored, maybe they are frailer but cheap marines that can build or call down Bunkers in the field to compensate that?

She could get the Warhawk boss from the first Nova mission as a unit, an air to ground striker attacking with AOE missiles with a burst damage laser for a secondary shot.

I’d also love to see Warfield, and a dig in and hold the line theme works better for him.

Something involving a Gorgan and maybe artillery strikes would be fun.