The Commander After Stetmann

You seem to think that they had this grand plan that the Ihan-rii would be a faction in universe as they designed Zeratul. They made the commander first in a non-canon scenario where he’d come back and lead a xel’naga-empowered army, then worked it into a canon context in a skin pack they released later. Them mentioning that Zeratul is the one they were looking for when awakened is as obvious of a hint as you can get without the skin descriptions going “The Ihan-rii immortal is actually the Xel’Naga Enforcer from the Zeratul Commander in Co-op Missions mode!”

The description also specifically says protoss forces enhanced with xel’naga technology. That is literally what the Ihan-rii are.

I’m not sure what the point here is, this works against your case. Both the Purifier factions serve the same commander, the campaign Sentinels that Karax uses shout “for Fenix!” They’re pretty distinctly Purifiers of the main faction aiding Karax, but there isn’t a divide between them. Similarly, there is no divide between the Ihan-rii and Zeratul’s faction, other than Zeratul has some Daelaam forces supporting him.

3 Likes

I think Subsourian already said everything, and I don’t need to add nothing.

Why is the “which commander uses what skin” this highly debated?

It has 0 bearing on what the next commander is or more importantly how the next commander’s gameplay design will be.

A skin is a skin is a skin, kind of gross but they can always reskin.

I can appreciate some of the debate here but others seem so strangely heated. So what if x commander is a combination of different released skins versus ‘viewed as’ only one skin set? Coop is non-canon, so it’s not like this is affected either.

#infinitelyconfused

3 Likes

I think it’s because it’s the only hint on future commanders we get, but Zeratul and Tychus should be an indication not to use their established lore to fit into a character. Tychus used modified Umojan skins for some units and his relation to them was “bought some robot spiders once,” and Zeratul largely used a skinset we hadn’t seen before.

But that’s something I’ve said as well, it’s just as likely the next commander will use a skinset we’ve never seen before, or we’ll see the skins modified and used for a commander completely unrelated to the established lore of the skinset. It’s impossible to say, though I do get the debate I also think people aren’t being flexible enough as to what exactly they can do with these skins.

3 Likes

This argument has gone on too long and now is distracting from the point of the thread. Blizzcon will be here relatively soon; who do you think will be the next Commander or who do you hope it is?

2 Likes

Ikr?

I mean it’s super cool that people are sharing all this tidbits about skin sets and who’s using what. Kind of like some random fun facts to read.

Then the heated debate gets in and I’m just what the…

1 Like

exactly. Blizzard release some time some data in the editor that suggest future commanders but… after Tychus I think(?) they released the patches with more cautions, and we don’t get more data with future commanders, so the only clues we have are the skin set.
Nearly all commanders have a proper skin set, with the only exeptions of: Swann and Abathur, Vorazun, Karax and Stukov are in a sort of grey area, they don’t have a proper skinset, but they have some kind of skins related to them: Nerazim for Vorazun (Zealot (Centurions), Void Ray, Archon (Dark Archon)), Glacius Purifiers for Karax (Zealot (Sentinel), Sentry (Energizer), Colossus, Phoenix (Mirage)) and Infested Terran for Stukov, so I highly doubt Blizzard will make future commanders without a proper skinset, and since they have 4 unused skinset (Umojan, Golden Age, Tyrador and Cerberus), will be more easy for them use the already existing skins instead of making new ones, considering too, that they probably will release new skinsets just next year at this point.
Using already existing skinset will spare for them a lot of time.

of course blizzard is careful when people leak the data online. an alternative is to publish data ahead of time like they did before.

Going back to Ihan-rii for a moment… if another Commander got some Ihan-rii units; (let’s say Rohana got some from her “War Council” that had been mentioned in other threads) what units could we get and what would their abilities be?

I’m thinking:

• Ihan-rii Zealot (Warp Charge) (Allows Zealot to bypass terrain including cliffs to charge at an enemy)
  • Ihan-rii Adept (Exploding Shot) (Splash attack)
  • Ihan-rii Dark Templar (Lunge) (Dashes forward hitting all enemies in a straight line)
  • Ihan-rii High Templar (Graviton Slam) (acts like Graviton Beam but slams enemy on the ground)
  • Ihan-rii Archon (Self-Destruct) (When Archon dies it explodes)

These are just examples of ideas. However, what do you think they could do?

I don’t think Rohana would get Ihan-rii units, if they will choose to give her the multiple choise units theme, they will be just Aiur, Nerazim, Purifiers and Tal’darim.

2 Likes

I’m not saying Blizzard would. I’m asking what if.

Edit: It wouldn’t have to be Rohana either. Just any Commander who could make sense.

I don’t see why other commanders should have them… the only one that have connection with Ihan-rii was Zeratul, so why give them to someone else that don’t have nothing to do with them?

Why do you hate fun? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I don’t hate fun, I’m trying to be logic

Blizzcon is coming next month; any thoughts now that it is closer? Any rumors perhaps?

only that blizzard would only release one commander a year. that was posted on these forums last year.

No rumors, only speculations. If they go with the current pattern the next CO will be a Terran, as we have only five Terran commanders and six-six from the Zerg and Protoss. It will most likely be a commander with a hero unit, as Terrans only have two commanders with heroes (Tychus and Nova) while the others have three-three. Which makes me think it’s going to be either Tosh or Warfield, but I wouldn’t mind Valerian with an Umoja themed army either. Not sure how he could be a good hero though.

I’m still banking on Tosh being next, and hoping he has a customizable Spectre-based gimmick with options for nuke-heavy strats.

I’d like Tosh as well, he could use the Predator which is a currently unused unit, even in campaign for most people.

This is outright false.

Blizzard never said that, never implied it nor was there anything to suggest that is the plan.