[Terran] Your Emperor demands your participation

This will be the 3rd vote thread. The focus of this one will be about Terran.

Rules are as followed:

Each of you have 1 vote. You can either vote for an unit or a hero or a building or even announcer as long as their origin is Protoss. Abilities / researches / weapons / upgrades / psi / supply / control / creep / power field are invalid.

There is no restriction on what mode or game in the series you can vote for. You can vote for those in Co-op, campaign, versus or Starcraft, Starcraft BW or Starcraft 2…

If you has more than 1 vote, i will only count the first vote, the rest will be discarded.

Personally, i believe MULE will have the highest vote. No one can resist such temptation of Mineral.

Vote will be counted in here

Oh man. Well here we go again.

First of all, Terran is my favorite race by far. I spent quite some time on the Terran commanders in co-op, played through WoL twice as many times as I did with the rest (though NCO is better) and if I ever wander onto the field of battle in Versus I pick Terran. I have something for humans destroying disgusting aliens, I’m a romantic at heart.

Sorry Cerebrate but I’ll be waffling for a while and the last thing I’ll say is going to be my vote so you either read through all this or just check the last sentence. Anyhoo…

Terrans have many amazing units and buildings, I just like the familiar yet retrofuturistic design, the cocky attitude and that air of defying death that surrounds them in every and all modes. I generally have a preferred unit from each category, be it bio, fast skirmish, dedicated anti-air, etc. but I’m generally impressed with most units both from a design and lore/utility perspective with the exception of the Ghost, Hellbat/Hellion and Banshee. I am not a man for sneaking around (exceptions include permanently cloaked Reapers in NCO) and an invisible sniper-infiltrator is not original and also not cool in my book. Same goes to the Banshee which is just meh to me. I generally like generalist units that do well in a multitude of roles without being exceptional at something. While I love the Vikings I prefer the Wraith for example.

To that end here are my top five units nobody asked for (in reverse order):
Viking - Could be the name, could be the visuals, I most definitely have a sweet spot for one-man combat walkers. The fact it doubles for a kick-ash air-superiority fighter makes it only better. I do however have a bit of a love-hate relationship with it because it did muscle out two of my (other) favorite units.
Goliath - Speak of efficinency and general usage. The Goliath is a magnificent piece of work, on it’s own massed or using it as infantry support, no matter. I do like the design of the SC2 Goliaths over the SC1 variant, same with the voice, but I can’t take the SC2 pilot serious. He looks just too… yeah.
Wraith - Speak of efficiency and general usage and I will either think of them nice lil’ combat walkers or them high speed fighters. If I was in the Koprulu-sector I’d invest in some very upgraded Wraiths for me.
Diamondback - Another unit from the WoL campaign that has absolutely no use in said campaign except the mission it is introduced in. I love everything about the Diamondbacks, the unit’s looks, portray, its lines and the idea behind it. A fast hovertank designed to destroy armored units? Sign me up!
Reaper - Reaperman come-a-knockin’ for y’all. I don’t know what I love, the cheesy name, the oversized jetpack or the ruthless lore behind them, the Reaper is a spectacularly fascinating unit to me. Sadly their use is not that great outside H&H co-op but I get by on reading up how awesome they truly are.

For the sake of keeping this somewhat digestible I’ll only glance at some of my other well-liked stuff: Planetary Fortresses. Mira’s Marauders skinset. General DuGalle, the Kel-Morian Combine, Edmund Duke, the Terran Confederacy, Warhounds.

And lastly, my only singular vote goes to the man himself I loved through Wings of Liberty, Heroes of the Storm and countless co-op missions… the man, the force of destruction… the man who knows himself since his freedom got taken away… a murderer, a pirate…

Tychus Findlay. Hell, it’s about damn time.

1 Like

Straight off my pick is - Medic… represented by Maren Ayers. She is a one off character from one short story, but she just resonated with me.

(All short stories can be still found in an archive thanks to wonderful Subsourian.)

But there were many to choose from.

Nova. She might be just Blonde Kerrigan, but she became a better one.
The Viking from HotS cutscene. Rest in peace, badass.
Tychus. The actual hero of WoL story.
Tosh. Mon’

And some other short story characters. Seriously, read those shorts.

1 Like

Mira Han. She’s bloody hilarious, and has a surprising amount of depth to her character given her relatively short screen time.

Toss up between Raynor and Tosh. Raynor’s my favorite character from SC/BW, but I hate the direction they went with him in SC2. And Tosh is a fun and potentially interesting character that just had the rotten luck of being stuck as a filler character that gets completely forgotten about.

In the end, I’d probably just go with Raynor due to the fact that SC/BW was a huge nostalgic part of my childhood.

Edmund Duke.

“Ya’ll need some good old fashioned discipline!”

2 Likes

Y’all have a real good day now, y’hear?

I always wondered why we don’t have anybody talking with a proper southern dialect in SC2. Well, Raynor and Tychus sometimes drop the occasional slang but it just ain’t it.

Because Mengsk killed most of them.

No, but actually. The dialect is highly associated with the Confederate Old Families. Mengsk, Davis and Duke get exceptions because they were the rebels, and Nova doesn’t have the accent because she’s a ghost, but other than that the zerg on Tarsonis killed almost all of them, and then Mengsk targeted the remainder.

2 Likes

I don’t know where you got that from, Raynor has a much more apparent Southern style to his speech in SC1 than in SC2. Everybody else seems to be kinda like that as well. Did they reprogram the entire civil population?

As with most of America, “the south” is not a uniform blob of culture. Raynor has a very rural accent in SC2 (which gets progressively stronger across games) but isn’t actually exclusive to the south. I have a similar accent when im agitated, and im from central Pennsylvania.

1 Like

My favourite Terran character is probably Mengsk himself.

Horace Warfield. Died too soon.

I feel bad for Warfield, he was portrayed as a fairly incompetent character.

Well, his good moments probably happened off-screen.

2 Likes

Yeah, which is unfortunate because I really like his character. He basically the only antagonist in SC2 that isn’t a cartoon Villain, he’s a decent guy, he’s just on the wrong side.

1 Like

For a moment I was like “He ain’t even an antagonist”, then I remembered HotS.

He’s also in charge of Korhals defenses in Media Blitz I believe.

Correct. And he picks a fight with Raynor on Char too, and actually raises a decent point.

Honestly, I think Warfield was a serious missed opportunity to show the “Dominion patriot” side of Mengsk’s regime. All the people who legitimately want to fight for the Dominion and protect it from the Swarm and other (perceived) threats.

3 Likes

Valerian Mengsk. I love characters who don’t let family ties blind them to their parent’s crimes and turn against them on principle, rather than having to be lured to the side of good by a love interest like so many other “heroic” characters with villainous parents.

Plus he’s space Anduin, so that’s a bonus.

1 Like

Don’t people hate Anduin?