Suggestion to make the Adept not suck

This opinion shows that you dont have a clue about game dynamics. Shades dont give the necessary mobility to deal with mutas. You just need to think a little to understand. The shade doesnt attack while moving in shade mode. That means that adepts will never really reach mutas if well microed and running. All you can do with adepts is stay in a place and try to defend some spots…while being a very soft counter in this regard. But sure…in a face to face combat adepts would probably destroy mutas, this scenario would never had to happen. Mutas are supposed to be running at the map, finding soft spots to hit and run away.

5 Likes

I know more than the average forum poster.

So why did you come out of no where and start posting on the forums?

It does, you just need to have map awareness.

They do.

Those soft spots can be covered with Adepts, Archons,Stalkers and SB’s.

2 Likes

You won’t be chasing a flock of mutas with a single group of adepts. The adepts will be split up and that is more than enough to thwart muta harass with proper shading.

Mutas would be obsolete if adepts could attack air. They would be countered so hard with so little. and unlike phoenixes adepts are cheap, are overall better at combat, and can be warped in.

Are you talking about the Adepts or the Marines? Those Terrans are funny.

1 Like

I see how you are trying to argue aorund: OP vs mutas?

And I say…at least we can try it. A test map or something. T and Z have their risky buffs tested, why not one risky test about a protoss unit? why not?

4 Likes

Have you used mutas? Or adepts? cause “thwart muta harass with proper shading” is a fantasy working only against AI
4 Stalkers or 1 cannon would do the same job as 4 adepts “protecting” a mineral line, because you will still loose 1-2-3 probes on each sortie for free. And mineral lines are not the only zones needing protection in your base, even unupgraded stalkers will handle better defending between mineral line and an exposed forge/robo… what would you do? warp 4-5 adepts everywhere? goodluck winning the game with them afterwards

Is blink stalkers countering mutas? no, you are still pinned back by mutas, you just stop taking free damage as zerg is unable to hit and run without loses due to blink (good luck doing that with a 7s FIXED shade which is not ignoring obstacles) and you are still vulnerable to a mass muta transition in a serral style where your little squads will get defeated 1 by 1 if you don’t make a stargate.
Is spire play going to be affected by this? a little as protoss will have initially more units that shoot up to split. Will it be a counter? the worst. The only playstyle that will be ruined is “only building mutas”

Apart from that I don’t think adepts attacking air will make them usefull, stalkers will still be the go-to response… and imagine an adept shading just beneath an overlord and attacking it instead of the drone mining (in case it uses the same attack, if it will be split into 2, the air one will be even less usefull)
And giving +1 range with upgrade will just bring back the adept all ins, not give them utility in the long run

2 Likes

If you, as a player, using Mutas can’t run away from shades after a few seconds…you don’t deserve to use mutas lol.

They’re a cheaper stop gap vs mutas than, say, Archons but in no way will they be good against Mutas because Mutas don’t fight stuff that fights back unless they are guaranteed a win with few casualties.

1 Like

If you split the Adepts then the Mutas can pounce on them due to low numbers…

You guys have zero concept of how Mutas work lmao. I don’t get it. Are you drunk?

3 Likes

Shade lets adepts outmaneuver mutas WAY easier. Adepts attacking air would just be dumb, with no real positive. Especially in the case of PvP.

1 Like

Well, if your opponent has 3 times your army value in mutas, that’s you being bad. cost for cost, adepts would crush mutas 80 times over.

1 Like

It wouldn’t be dumb and it would give Protoss an alternative to stalkers against different Air threads and would give Adepts mid-late game utility and viability. Adepts also feel really good when you play with them with this change.

The positives of this 1 change greatly out way any negatives which barely exist.

In PvP the only light air units are Observers and Phoenix.

1 Like

That’s why you don’t fight directly with Mutas. Shades won’t help if the Zerg player has a brain.

Let’s walk this scenario through.

You’re protoss. You have 6 Blink Stalkers at your nat or 3rd, the Zerg has been delaying your 3rd with speed lings. Now all of a sudden Mutas show up. Maybe 8 of them since any decent zerg banks a few mutas before attacking.

You, in a tough spot warp in Adepts. The Mutas fly away from the Adepts so you shade. The Zerg player counts to 5 and flies away from the shades. Now you as the Protoss can cancel the Shade which means the mutas go back to where the shades were or the Shade goes through and the mutas circle to where the Adepts aren’t.

This happens over and over and over until you either have enough Adepts to cover your base or get a few Phoenix out, praying that the Zerg didn’t make a few Corruptors to tank Phoenix shots and pee on pylons.

Nevermind the speedlings and maybe banes which are now knocking down your nat wall or killing your 3rd while the Zerg takes an uncontested 4th or 5th.

This is routine LMB vs Protoss. Only difference between what happens now and what would happen if Adepts attacked air is you have to avoid shades after they’ve been active for aprox 5 seconds.

No real difference from having 3 defensive Archons in your base except the Adepts are cheaper, meaning you can afford to field a proper counter like Phoenix, faster.

5 Likes
  1. The fact that phoenix hard counter adepts is kinda important for the stargate to work.
  2. Oracles force your opponent to make stalkers just be being up; even if adepts did bad damage to oracles it would still change that
  3. The ability to kill prisms is another key reason for making stalkers in the matchup
  4. Again stargate is removed from the MU because holding stalker or immortal all-ins involves void rays, who deal negligible damage to the adept.

With adepts that shoot up, on top of the other buffs, PvP would become 100% adepts shading into mineral lines back and forth, and nobody would bother with anything else, because they would lose all their workers.

Thing is, Adepts aren’t very good at killing non-light units and would get absolutely man handled by Phoenix+Stalkers. Or 1 Disruptor lol.

If shading between mineral lines is a problem then you keep a probe at your ramp, ready to build a pylon when shades go for the ramp.

1 Like

Oracles are Armored, not Light anymore.

Stargate would still work, but now Protoss would have a solid tool to stop Phoenix wars from getting too over the top.

The only new buff I’m advocating for is the Adept being able to attack air units.

The Blizzard changes to the Adept are good, they will be better in the early-mid to mid game range assuming you get both upgrades and make the right unit comps to get the most effectiveness out of them.

1 Like

voidrays to hold immortal all in :rofl::rofl::rofl: this made my day

1 Like

Right, because mister muta is a maphacker.

Which against 8 mutas would be 4 adepts per base, which is 2 warp in rounds. which is 20 seconds.

In the case of corruptor/muta, that means basically all the zerg’s money is in their spire tech. What you do currently is make voidray/phoenix and use either adepts or chargelots on their mineral lines repeatedly to keep a hydra transition from ever happening. Of course, with adepts shooting up, you would just mass pure adept and collect free win.

And the fact that adepts are faster and slimmer than Archons, and that you need more than cyber tech to make archons.

1 Like

If you don’t make 1 void ray to focus the lifted immortal, it becomes a lot harder to hold. Stargate 101.

1 Like

Adepts do >0 damage to armoured. I know, shocking. That’s why I said bad damage, because they are armoured. Doesn’t mean immunity. Stargate, and probably robo, would be dead with an adept that has 5 range, a shield upgrade, and AA.

Adepts do 10 vs non-light.

Also I just said repeatedly that the only new buff for the Adept that I support is allowing Adepts to attack air because of how much it improves the units utility as a composition unit in the mid-late game.

Making Adepts have 5 range is something I’m against because of how many unit relationships would be completely broken.