Skin Lore thread 2: Electric Boogaloo

First thing

mAnUaL

Second thing

Yes, the mobile interface is heinous, but I can make it work.

Third thing

Just maybe.

Well for starters, in the other thread youre complaining about how the protoss can survive in deep space without suits, even though theyre clearly wearing suits and surrounded by force fields, to the point where its literally a gameplay mechanic.

1 Like

I wasn’t complaining about that

Technically, what you were complaining about was the perceived inconsistency where you believed they could operate in space without suits, so why would they need to change their biology to do it, but I figured you would understand that I was referring to the argument I was literally having with you simultaneously without a great deal of elaboration.

Your last claim that the Khala made all protoss act like idiots comes to mind, at which point Kelthar basically lists the whole SC1 Protoss cast as examples to the contrary, and that really it was just Aldaris. Maybe you were just being hyperbolic, but still, this seems to be a common theme.

But hey, I’m just trying to give you actual useful feedback given that I’m pretty much the only one on your side and have a decade of StarCraft lore forum experience. Take the advice or stay the same, just don’t expect people to react positively to you out of nowhere if you go with the latter option. :man_shrugging:

This forum interface sucks, so I cannot articulate myself at all

Well then my honest advice is to take your time and go on PC.

3 Likes

Anyway, Blizzard is awful at managing the lore. I doubt they know what they’re doing or keep track. The only complete account of protoss history we have is a decades old manual that was clearly out of sync with the in-game lore. It is pretty obvious that Blizzard has retconned everything since then but we have little idea how because Blizzard never presented another timeline of protoss history. All we have are implicit details gleaned from interviews, supplements and the game campaigns. It’s pretty obvious from those details that Blizzard hasn’t sketched out protoss history beyond a few extremely vague portions.

The ihan-rii are only the latest example of Blizzard’s ignorance of their own lore. Even so, I think they can be salvaged. Not in canon, but if we were rebooting or an AU then they could be worked in more organically and given better thematic distinction from the other protoss factions. Right now they’re a frankenstein mix of bits from the other factions with magic golems thrown in. I think a way that they could have been distinguished would have been to present them as mad scientists, emulating the xel’naga tinkering with others. This would distinguish them from the protoss empire, as the great stewardship prohibits such behavior. This would distinguish them from the more martial and bloodthirsty taldarim, who steal technology rather than innovate. To distinguish them from nerazim, I propose giving them their own khala.

Or I could be full of bull crap since apparently my interpretation of canon is always wrong, so whatever.

You guys are way overthinking this. The point is that I’ve got a stylish stone deathball to F2A across the map. The lore tidbits we got with them, albeit interesting, are never going to appear or be relevant in game.

1 Like

Stone deathball for the win!

1 Like

The mechanical zerg is not patented, there can be multiple projects, the Terran already used these bots for training, so the appearance of similar and quite plausible bots even when the simulant project was the most ambitious but I do not know why the investors had that obsession with the zerg. it is the jusripark of starcraft that a delusional scientist replicates it has much more logic

How? You don’t even play the game!

Then don’t just vent it in the forum; use the editor and prove it.

Wait… why is the thread called “Electric Boogaloo”?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086999/

You are completely wrong here. I play the game all the time. Mostly skirmish mode and custom maps.

I own all three SC2 campaigns. I own the collectors edition. I own SC remastered. I haven’t played all the campaigns all the way through within the last month perhaps, but I have played them all at some point multiple times in the last few years.

I even pre-ordered WC3 reforged.

I was criticizing Blizzard’s story. That’s completely different. I’m not interested in making custom maps.

The gameplay is just fine. Best game of all time maybe.

Look, I don’t know you. I just read your comment those that are not deleted, anyway.

Regardless, it’s totally different when you’re playing the whole game by yourself from beginning to end. The experience is completely unique. The ‘let’s play’ is good, but it can’t replace playing for real.

Sorry. Thank you.

I remember that I liked SC1’s plot twenty years ago. Now I’m embarrassed that I did. It has really obvious flaws now. So much wasted potential.

EDIT: I’ll try to keep my word vomit to a minimum.

The protoss in the manual have been declared resistant to the most extreme environments, except for a synthetic mention artificial respiration they are quite naturally resistant to tolerate things that a human cannot, the only place where his shield offered a plus was when they interacted with the xelnaga disintegrating field

Where was it said that protoss breathe again?

I always thought that, prior to retcons, purity of form meant that the protoss were on the way to becoming Star Trek style energy beings. Even their tech was described as enhancing or replicating their powers, so perhaps they were on the way to reaching a point where they would not need tech anymore.

I know it makes no sense from a real science perspective, but I think it makes for a nice thematic contrast against the fleshy polymorphic zerg.

I don’t know that its ever explicitly stated in the games or manuals, but its generally safe to assume that a creature operates like, you know, every other multi-cellular organism we are aware unless noted otherwise.

As far as energy beings go, they already literally do that. Given that its portrayed as a sacrifice that results in a short lifespan for the Archon in question, i’d say that’s probably not the next stage of protoss evolution.

2 Likes