Skin Lore thread 2: Electric Boogaloo

Anyhow, does anybody have predictions for new skins/faction lore in future war chests? Pretty much anything seems to be possible now.

I’m hoping that Blizzard will invent new factions that recapture the story potential of the SC1 Confederacy, Overmind and Conclave. Like, I don’t know… A lost colony of the Confederacy flourished, built a huge empire in the Kansas sector and now they decided to reclaim Koprulu? Some zerg broods remained loyal to the Overmind in a distant part if the galaxy, resurrected the Overmind, and now invade Koprulu to eat everyone? Another lost protoss colony was able to maintain khala, and now they’ve returned and want to destroy the heretics before the aeon war starts back up? Oh, and uh, Earth gets involved too?

Let’s try to turn this into a positive, please?

1 Like

I failed to see how this could happen without another major retcon.

They were so lost, that Amon didn’t bring them to Hybrid facilities in time. He is incompetent enough.

As Gradius’ beloved R. Ebert would say, it requires an idiot plot. Character acts like an idiot for that to happen. Not that unlikely.

Or their khala was on a different network because it was invented independently, so Amon never knew it existed. Also, they magically have a huge space empire with countless worlds.

This is Blizzard we’re talking about. Anything is possible because they don’t give a damn about consistency and logic.

I’m pretty sure that the ignition of the Khala was felt by Xel’Naga throughout the Universe.

Look, if you’re going to play the ‘Blizzard is inconsistent’ card, you could pretty much justify anything. I’m not saying that you’re wrong. I’m just saying that it’s boring to argue with you at that point.

1 Like

It’s not like we can argue about anything when nothing is consistent. Arguers are making implicit assumptions about canon which aren’t universal. So our arguments simply cannot go anywhere because there is no foundation.

That’s why I hate arguing about Starcraft. It’s like arguing over a child’s game of cops and robbers. With a child. We know Starcraft lore is crap, but many opponents generally don’t. I find it frustrating when people pull convoluted rationalizations out of their butts to justify Blizzard’s stupid then doublethink their way around Blizzard’s inconsistencies.

Kindly leave us out of this “we” you are trying to add us to. Gradius may agree with you in principal, but I assure you that your feelings are not universal.

Also, once again, I must point out that for something you claim to hate to do, youre sure coming in here and doing it a lot.

Of course, we can. We generally argue about whose theory required the least amount of supplements information to support and makes most sense.

1 Like

How many nonsensical retcons will it take to convince you that the lore is nonsense? Seriously. I am curious to know.

There are not enough retcons in the world at this point for you to convince me to share your opinion.

Fair enough. What do you think my opinion is? Why do you seem so hostile toward it?

I think you’ve decided you want to hate StarCraft and are working backwards to justify that. A lot of your “complaints” are based either on misunderstanding or outright false claims, and in general I really immensely dislike it when somebody comes into a community for something they dislike and spend a lot of time and effort trying to convince those people theyre stupid for liking something. Everything you have done rubs me the wrong way at least a little.

5 Likes

Yeah, see, that there? That’s what bothers me. You claim to like it, but you obviously don’t. Not even conceptually, based on the way you talk about it. Liking “the idea of StarCraft” basically means liking Sci-fi as a concept, which is fair enough, but I have yet to see you actually identify anything specific to StarCraft that you are even remotely interested in. Your appreciation seems pretty shallow to me.

1 Like

Not to mention, that even pointless endeavours can be entertaining.

1 Like

I like the setting as presented in the SC1 manual. It has a lot vagueness and some inconsistencies, but overall it makes me excited to see what stories would take place.

The games’ stories did not impress me. The inconsistencies and retcons broke my SoD. I found it quite frustrating because I think I can do better. Not a high bar, but I hope you get the point.

If you think you can do better, feel free to try. There are plenty of fanfiction sites out there if you legitimately intend to write a story. But don’t expect me or anybody else to pull any punches.

If you wish that I would go die in a fire, then please say it to my face. I be happy to do it, too.

I really don’t care what you do outside of these forums, but while youre here, if you want my respect, you need to look harder at the evidence and draw conclusions from that, not simply declare that the evidence supports your conclusion and then just wail about how Blizzard is stupid when it turns out you were mistaken.

I don’t care much for Gradius’ opinions either, but he at least argues with facts and primary sources, and as long as he does that im perfectly content to engage him in discussion.

It is difficult to do that on my phone. This forum software is poorly designed and my phone interface is too small.

Even though I basically agree with you that the lore is garbage, you’re making my side of the fence look bad with gripes that are easily squashed by basic information from the game. I don’t know what it is, but my guess is the fact that you haven’t actually played the games is the problem.

Mainly, you keep extrapolating problems that only exist with your interpretation of the lore. I try to hit my arguments from all possible angles before I ever put it out into the world, so it’s annoying watching you do this. If there’s an interpretation of the lore where what you’re complaining about isn’t a problem and is also consistent with everything else, then you don’t have a case. If there’s a fanboy justification that easily ties up what you’re complaining about, then you don’t have a case. At that point, all you have is an opinion where someone gets to come in and say “good for you,” and move on.

But StarCraft 2 has enough problems with it that you don’t have to resort to that. Start getting pickier about the $hit you complain about. There’s things that are flaws no matter which way you slice them. Your job is to guess what a fanboy would reply to your post with before he ever does, and include a rebuttal in your post in the first place, so that way you actually have a solid/defensible position and go from there instead of people just thinking you’re a malcontent who’s complaining for the sake of complaining.

3 Likes