[SC2] All The Interface Suggestions

Hello, I noticed some stupid and underestimated assumptions:
(If someone has also something to say, feel free to share - I'll edit this post due to your message. Moreover, consider to press a "like" button if all the clauses sound good for you, and, of course, if you don't have any ideas, at least leave a comment to not let this thread dropdown).
For those who don’t completely understand, it doesn’t mean that developers HAVE TO make all listed changes - only that they consider to be done. Everything’s written here are just suggestions, no more.

1. Custom Game 1vs1 - since any player joins, the game starts IMMEDIATELY. What is that supposed to mean? In any other RTS, there is something like a “Ready” button, which you must press to confirm that you are ready to play. Moreover, I don’t understand why observers can’t join this custom game.
    For example, let’s imagine the situation that I don’t have any friends available, but I want to observe someone is playing or I and my friend (one plays, other watches) create the game, unknown opponents come, and there is no time to simply talk with him. Please fix this and add the “Ready” button.
  1. Custom Game Playing Solo - what’s the problem there? Well, for example, the window with the words “Victory” and action-buttons to press like “continue\rewind\leave” - I don’t need these buttons, I want to practice my build solo without delay (by delay I mean that person can’t spread out workers and order to build one), why this annoying window even appear? Fix this, please.
  1. Ally Left The Game - I can control the base of my ally, but I don’t see his limit. In the observer menu (IIRC) it’s possible to see all players’ supplies and whatsoever, why don’t you add this ability inside the game to make the orientation in-game easier in case if your ally left the game?
  1. Custom Unit Skins - I think that it’s necessary to have a button to disable them (in the options menu, for example). I’ve seen some complaints that players couldn’t rapidly spot and react properly to the units of the enemy because the enemy acquired custom skins on his units. I wonder why on tournaments all skins are turned off? Because it’s a distraction. Same on the ladder - need to fix ASAP.
  1. Match-Up Choice Before The Game Starts - Of course, you may create a Custom game with the proper name like “TvP practice” or “ZvZ practice”, but this is not an option since there are a lot of inadequate people would come and, without a “Ready” button it’s impossible to discuss details before starting the match.
  1. Custom Archon Mode 4vs4

Right now, there is maximum of players that can be in-game at once is 12. Those 12 persons are playing in the maps for 6 people, but this is impossible to do that on the maps with 8 players (16 players in total) - why not? And please, don’t tell me about connection and issues, because it’s more like an individual problem than the problem of Blizzard servers.

1. Players Positions in Custom - There’s always something wrong with the automatic placement of players on big maps. For instance, if we want to play something irregular like “2vs2vs2vs2” or “3vs3vs2” - there’s a big probability that teams will be scattered unfairly. I don’t know, maybe you should add this function so players may choose any position they want?
  1. NVIDIA Inspector Tool Incompatibility - There’s a software called “Nvidia inspector” - using this tool you’re able to tweak some graphical options that are not possible to change inside the game. I wonder if it’s possible that Blizzard would communicate somehow with NVIDIA and make sure all those options would become changeable. The only thing I am interested in is about “Antialiasing” - I don’t know exactly what technology Blizzard is using, but I want to enable this function on my own (or at least, let Blizzard add different anti-aliasing settings themselves).
  1. Hotkeys Navigation - A lot of people know that there’s a hidden option to navigate throughout the whole game like if you press the “F10” button, you also can instantly leave by pressing “n” as in the word “surrender”, get into options by pressing “o”, rewind the game with “w”, etc. I propose to enhance this system, so you may use hotkeys even on the main menu. So, you will be able to quickly enter to “Options”, “Help”, “Tutorial”, enter your profile, "Accept" and “Cancel” button also must be bind to hotkeys (as inside the match) - I think you get an idea.
  1. Special Sounds Loudness - I couldn’t say better myself, that’s why I am going to just quote the other message.

In addition to this, my note that it would be better if Blizzard could add new songs while looking at the loading screen before the game, and after.

1. Loading Screen Communication - Sometimes people can’t understand, why the game is not starting for a quite long period. This may be due to someone’s disconnect, or simply a bad PC. That brings me to the thought of being able to communicate with players while the loading screen is on.
  1. Uploading Images In Battle.net - This person said quite detailed response:
  1. Party With More Than 4 Players - The thing is, that when there are less than 4 players, everyone can see who is not ready to enter the lobby. But if there are more than 4 players, you can’t spot who exactly is not ready. This moment needs a little cosmetic correction.
  1. In-Game Voice Chat - looks like, it doesn’t work properly. Maybe there’s a complete guide about how to use this and reasons why allies can’t hear you? Of course, in case if they enabled that option. Better another TS described this problem:
  1. Disabling Chat Option - At least 2 persons said that they want to have a possibility to disable in-game chat at all. I guess, not like permanently-and-forever, but make it a clickable-on-the-box option. Of course, some might say, like press F11 and quickly press to “block communication” button… Well, I agree, but maybe Blizzard should do another hotkey to press a combination for example like “F11 & Shift+P” to disable chat? I’d be glad in both cases.
  1. Hidden Hotkey Layout - We all know that there are a bunch of hotkeys that cannot be changed directly using the SC2 interface, some of them can be modified using Variables.txt, but now this person says about something different.

Take into consideration this one please, Blizzard. I also want to tell something that in some RTS games all commands perform using the left mouse button. Why not add an option to switch?

1. Countdown Timer Modifications - First of all, I want to notice that this countdown is not working properly. After seeing the number “1” disappear, you should immediately gain control of your units. And another person said quite an interesting thing.

Take into consideration this, Blizzard.

1. Inconvenience Of In-Game Chat - This person said everything in detail, thanks to him.
  1. Broadcasting Pro-Players As Replays - I am going to quote another thought.

I like this idea.

1. Location Binding Indicators - and one more.

There are so many good ideas been written in recent times.

1. Unclickable Alerts
  1. Applying Custom Skins To Opponent
  1. Advanced Color Changes - I’m sending a full description from another person, but I’d like to add if it would be possible to pick up additional colors available only when there are 8 players, but in other cases (1vs1, 2vs2, etc.)
  1. Revision Of Kick/Promotion Buttons - While being in custom, to kick somebody, you must activate the drop-up-menu by right-mouse-clicking on the player, and then press “Kick”. The problem is that next to the “Kick” button, there is also a “Give leader” button too. So, the decision is simple - we need to change it, so players won’t accidentally miss between “kicking” and “promotion” buttons as well, or, perhaps, add the “ban” button, to prevent trolls come again and ruin the lobby.
  1. Unit Priority Change - It’s been 2 years since one brilliant idea was proposed on the forum, I wonder if Blizzard is at least working on it since it will bring comfortable gameplay for newcomers.
    https://tl.net/forum/starcraft-2/536917-idea-redesigned-unit-priority-and-command-card
  1. Some Basic Changes
  1. Advanced In-Game Statistics - By this, I mean that it would be very convenient to know how many games he played for each race and how much time left.
  1. Skin Templates
32 Likes

i can choose 3 maps that i dont want to play, but i cant choose even 1race that i wanna play for practice in UNRANKED matchmaking.
sometimes, i play 10 pvp in a row, 10 pvz in a row, but 0 pvt. i wanna choose some priority for sc2races in matchmaking in UNRANKED mode, even if i will w8 more than 1 minute in a queue.
for example, i wanna practice tvp - can i choose protoss as a priority race for UNRANKED matchmaking.
blizzard, can u do that thing, plz

12 Likes

I’ll add this to my post, thanks for idea

7 Likes

Yea thats actually useful advices.

8 Likes

Hi everyone. It’s actually very helpful topic. This topic has many important questions and I hope these problems will be solved in the next patches.

9 Likes

I completely agree with the third point, it should have been done a long time ago.

9 Likes

Also remove useless countdown to start in replays

10 Likes

Yes, after such changes it would be more comfortable to play

8 Likes

Those are suggestions I hope will be added soon. The 3rd one in particular, since it should affect all team-based modes (Vs, Coop, Custom games).

7 Likes

In my opinion 1-st question is very important. Like he said some player needs to make a break but he can’t do that because of immediately game starting. In the other hand we can see observers in other real-time strategies for example c&c game series has lobby rooms where other players can join in that room if it isn’t locked.

8 Likes

Really nice ideas, i hope they put this in the game

8 Likes

How about to add 4x4 archon mode? I really don’t understand why there’s no such function. It’s like Blizzard are afraid of having 16 players in game simultaneously.

8 Likes

Let me add something. For instance, Blizzard implemented inside the game some kind of navigation system, which allows you to press hotkey to go in desirable place. Like when you press “F10” and if you want to quit game, you press “n” because it appears in the word “Surrender”, O - for options, Q - for Quit Replay, S - for Score menu and so on. My preposition is to enhance this system to make it work even in other different places, like “Main Menu” - there I have discovered only 2 buttons (despite F10) that brings you to the “Friend list” by pressing “O” and press “G” to go to “Groups Menu”. Please, add buttons so person could quickly go to options (as inside the match), to go to Campaign menu, Co-op, Versus and so on. It would be nice. Thanks.

7 Likes

Yeah thx added this to my post

7 Likes

It has already been suggested, though not in the right way, and not in the right place. I think this gameplay/interface suggestion would be good :

• but only for unranked, as if would be unfair to allow some players to rank right next to others while playing only one or two match-ups ; and we don’t want to have too much players disabling mirrors or playing only favored match-ups.
  • under the form of a veto (X race will be selected less frequently).

The positive consequences of this would be a minute reduction of smurfing (by 5-10% at best), and a better training utility for unranked as one player could choose to train specifically one match-up for a time. I’m thinking in advocating for this at the next community feedback. :slightly_smiling_face:

Those are minor points, but could indeed be helpful for some.

I’d rather suggest to have an auto-launch ON/OFF toggle, to avoid slowing down those who want to get into the game as fast as possible, or other AFK issues. :thinking:

But you can. F2 is campaign, F4 is 1v1, F7 are replays, if my memory doesn’t wrongs me. :bulb:

Anyway, nice topic It’s not everyday we get public utility threads, and structured ones even less. :smiley:

6 Likes

If you mean that user “Apxn” said that, then you should have noticed that I have written another post right under his one about changing my first message.
Unless you meant in global, like “it has been suggested” multiple times throughout the whole existence of this sc2 forum (anyway, all those attempts didn’t work out).

I didn’t propose to unlock this feature for Ranked, as I said, it must be for Unranked only.

Not quite sure I understand. Can’t say for others, but I literally hate mirrors, and if there would be a lot of players who picked up Unranked with specific match-up, just to make sure they won’t get mirror matches (that means, the total amount of players will be reduced by this number) doesn’t mean that it will break the system. At last, SC2 is not THAT dead.

Ah, thanks, really I forgot about that. Either way, even if you press F10 in the main menu, you can’t go to “Options” by pressing “o”, but it works inside the match (that is strange). If you open your profile, IIRC you can’t navigate there with hotkeys too.
By “enhancing” I meant like mostly everything in the interface, not only “Campaign\Co-op\etc” switching.

7 Likes

It depends on the level of play, starting around masters the queue times do increase quite significantly. Still, limiting that to unranked would also limit the amount of people using that feature, so I think it’s worth a try.

As for my previous sentences, I meant it has been asked in the past on the forum, though not specifically for unranked, which is the important point.

Sure, why not. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

This has been bothering thousands of players for YEARS to a point where it’s rarely mentioned anymore. Patch after Patch you guys fix so many things but why can’t you LOWER the sound?

Please!!! I have over 10k games played and still annoyed by this :frowning: :frowning:

8 Likes

The thing is that if I wasn’t clear enough in my first message (like, lost some details), I’d ask you to formulate this fifth section more understandable and more appropriate. So I could clearly copypaste your message and change my post (or even quote, as I did with KrisxBell and his issue).
That would be nice.

6 Likes

But of course :

My suggestion is to allow unranked users to veto some match-ups (vs Z, vs T, vs P), just as we currently can veto some maps. This would :

• Decrease smurfing from users who freelose said match-ups.
  • Allow for unranked to be used for specific match-up training.
  • Still preserve the place for those going through the effort of playing all their match-ups, as only them would be allowed to be officially ranked.

:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes