Salivary Conditioning bugged

So, Salivary Conditioning is one of the 10th anniversary achievements for Heart of the Swarm’s campaign mission Planetfall. The acheivement basically boils down to “Destroy 20 enemy structures before the 9:15” (which is when the third bile launcher lands)

On normal, this is child’s play since it’s only for Normal difficulty and you barely need to clear about a third of the map. Now i have managed to kill over 45 of the total structures (another achievement is to destroy all structures before the 5th launcher lands on Hard) and managed to do about 25 on hard even because no matter what i try to do (tried check and repair, tried switching OSes, tried both normal and hard) and it just doesn’t pop.

I think they screwed up.
Here is the code:

Variable -Set AnniversaryAchievementTermDominionStructuresDestroyed = (AnniversaryAchievementTermDominionStructuresDestroyed + 1)
    Game -Set achievement term Swarm Campaign (Anniversary) - ZKorhal01 - Salivary Conditioning - Planetfall quantity to AnniversaryAchievementTermDominionStructuresDestroyed for player PLAYER_01_USER
    Debug -Display {AnniversaryAchievementTermDominionStructuresDestroyed = (Text(AnniversaryAchievementTermDominionStructuresDestroyed))} as debug output using Type 01, and Do Not display it in the game window
    General -If (Conditions) then do (Actions) else do (Actions)
        If
            DominionStructuresDestroyed == 20
        Then
            Campaign -Unlock the Swarm Campaign (Anniversary) - ZKorhal01 - Salivary Conditioning - Planetfall campaign achievement for player PLAYER_01_USER
            Trigger -Turn (Current trigger) Off
        Else
    Variable -Set DominionStructuresDestroyed = (DominionStructuresTotal - ((Number of Living units in (Any units in (Playable map area) owned by player PLAYER_03_DOMINION (West) matching Required: Structure, Prevent Defeat; Excluded: Missile, Dead, Hidden, with at most Any Amount)) + (Number of Living units in (Any units in (Playable map area) owned by player PLAYER_04_DOMINION (East) matching Required: Structure, Prevent Defeat; Excluded: Missile, Dead, Hidden, with at most Any Amount))))

Possibilities;

• They should not have used the variable DominionStructuresDestroyed and used AnniversaryAchievementTermDominionStructuresDestroyed instead.
    Ont thing that could justify it is if rebuilt buildings don’t count, but then, I’m not sure what is the meaning of existence of AnniversaryAchievementTermDominionStructuresDestroyed
  • They should have written DominionStructuresDestroyed >= 20 instead of DominionStructuresDestroyed == 20, especially since the variable get recalculated in 2 triggers.

Hey Zagara,

Despite how many of the other anniversary achievements were when they were first introduced, Salivary Conditioning historically hasn’t been a problem; there were no reports of people having problems with it. Plus, the last time the Planetfall mission was updated was when the anniversary achievements were added (July 2020), thus nothing has changed since then that would break it.

However, I looked at the achievement’s code and everything seems to be correct. The triggers (code) specify that it can be awarded on Normal and above. The conditions for the different difficulties are all the same, so it’s not an issue of Hard having its own triggers that are specifically broken.

That aside, you mentioned that it’s easy on Normal difficulty so I suspect that you were able to do it on Normal? If so, then you already have the achievement, which is why it doesn’t award when you kill the 20th building on Hard (or on any subsequent run).

Later today, I’ll test it out to see what happens just to make sure.

DominionStructuresDestroyed is correct. That is the counter that is incremented each time an enemy structure dies. When the 20th enemy structure dies, the counter will hit 20, and that will satisfy the “If” conditions for the anniversary achievement.

AnniversaryAchievementTermDominionStructuresDestroyed, and its associated code, only appears inside the anniversary achievement trigger. It is a counter that served as a debugging mechanism for the anniversary achievement itself. Every time an enemy structure died that variable would increment. When testing, the coders could then use the variable’s output to track the trigger in real time.

Both >20 and >=20 would have the same effect.

Having DominionStructuresDestroyed calculated twice is of no consquence here. Both times it’s calculated, it uses the total structures at the start of the mission minus the current number of existing structures. So it will arrive at the same value both times.

Upon checking my achievements list i do indeed have it unlocked, it just seems that the usual popup you get when unlocking an achievement mid mission just…didn’t happen?

1 Like

I finally made my way to Planetfall. When I destroyed the 20 structures, the achievement popped up as usual.

I know sometimes, in the heat of battle, I miss the achievement popups because I’m so distracted. Maybe that happened to you back when you got this one.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.