Re-leveling 54 times MUST go

This is my stance too. If people enjoy releveling, give them a way to do it with a big, shiny button. There obviously is one now, so no one can argue it’s a hypothetical feature they’re incapable of adding. There’s a difference between that and forcing it on everyone though.

EDIT: Oh, right. I need to clarify that “forcing it on everyone” means forcing it on them if they want to unlock the content, because some people can’t grasp that it doesn’t mean literally the same as forcing someone against their will to do something in an online video game.

4 Likes

I did not say that and have seen no one else remotely imply that.

No, the prestige system is not perfect. You are forced to level if you want new prestiges. No one is arguing with that. But you don’t need to beat your head into a wall in order to do so. I have said it would be nice to select the order for which prestige to unlock, and I guess that would fix your complaint?

Still, if you burn yourself out on leveling 1 commander for 7 hours, that’s partially your fault. (Which I have seen a lot, and if that’s, not you, sorry for assuming). If/when you get to the point where you say “wow, I’ve been doing this for a while and I’m getting kinda bored”, maybe do LITERALLY anything else for a bit? You still have access to all your other mastery commanders: You can still go back to comp stomp whenever you want. You can even prestige a 2nd commander and work on them for a bit: you have a relatively fresh experience while still progressing in your ultimate goal to get the prestiges you want. Go back to the initial prestige leveling when you feel like it, and you’ll be a lot happier overall.

When I think of being forced into a grind I think of being locked out of playing the game (say, EA lootboxes or mobile games). But with this system, you are still playing the game to play the game. You aren’t locked out of all your other commanders while you level. You still have plenty of options if you want to change it up and keep things fresh. For me, it stops feeling like a grind at all since grind → repetitive, and this does not feel repetitive.

1 Like

It amuses me how I can say “some people” and someone will eagerly come to claim the title. If I was talking about you, I would have quoted you.

And my complaint has a bit less to do with burn-out, which as you mentioned is easily circumvented by just swapping to another commander, and more to do with not having global progression like masteries, like I said. They did it right the first time, but decided having to slog through with every commander individually this time around was a good idea. Being able to progress through prestiges the same way as masteries seems like a no-brainer QoL consideration.

1 Like

Is there any fresh experience from palying again the same commander all over again, even if u go for another one? How im i supposed to get any fresh experience, if im playing zagara prestige, and i can not make it to be working, because it gives me its power from certain lvl, not from lvl 1? Do not even say that i can switch prestige to another one. Its pointless. Then im stuck to do stuff, i was doing years ago. Sc2 coop commanders was the only one game i actually was playing from time to time. “Oh you know what, lets give them prestige system, but lock it behind releveling commanders, even if they can not get anything from the prestige untill level X”. It is obvious, the commanders are made to be working from lvl 15 properly, with all theirs talents. I just can not get into new content, when im pushed into playing week or two, to get into prestige #4. The releveling process on brutal, even from level 1 is not challenging at all. Obviously not for me. New Commander (?) i would like to rush it into lvl 15 with fun. Releveling the same commanders, even if i do not want to get anything from each prestiges (?) no way.

1 Like

It is fresh for players because most of the people who prestige do so after playing the same commanders for months, years even. You said yourself that you haven’t played low-level for years. Releveling gives a challenge of playing a handicapped old commander which long-time coop players haven’t had in a while. Most brutal games are a mindless stomp with level 15 zagara, but when you level with her prestige you actually have to think about what you’re doing. It’s not always difficult, but it’s obviously different if everyone’s complaining about it.

Even if it’s the same as the initial leveling of zag, it’s relatively unfamiliar to people.

2 Likes

Leveling a commander all over again is a brutal slog, and that’s not even up for debate. And I’m one of the people who liked the initial level up grind for a commander, because it helped you learn how to use it while slowly introducing new units.

But going backwards just sucks. It’s mainly a problem because you have to completely adjust your play style and build order to fit the completely different set of units you have at level 1. Only for you to never use those units again. Plus it just sucks after getting all the power ups and going back to what is essentially a gimped commander.

At least give us triple XP or something.

The difficulty is completely artificial though. Axing all your units and upgrades provides for a “different” experience, sure, but not a better one. For someone who has played co op forever and knows the maps in and out, it’s still a mindless slog with the caveat that you now have arbitrary restrictions that you’ll never have ever again.

9 Likes

Big YES from my side, this is really throwing away OUR time and not care. Does anyone have fun doing the same mission for 280 Hours straight? Blizzard, please show some respect for the players, why this punishment?

Let us SWITCH between normal and Prestige OR at least give the MASTERY Levels when we have to level from lvl 1.

4 Likes

The fact that they didn’t release a new commander at the anniversary time tells me they probably won’t be releasing any new ones ever. Enjoy repeating what you already got with nothing new.

They released a story together with the anniversary about selendris. New commander incoming

I really hope you are right. Selendis would be fantastic. But I’ll believe it when I see it. Blizzard’s track record is very deteriorated at this point, so I’m not going to get my hopes up.

Leveling forces you to be resourceful. You said yourself you have to change your playstyle and build order. Making your own strategy in a strategy game? HERESY! Call it artificial, I like this implementation of difficulty FAR MORE than ANY mutator.

The point is, you say “it sucks to level” like it’s a fact. It is entirely subjective. I like it, you don’t. There isn’t any point arguing about that.

Why don’t we give an exp boost to leveling commanders? Well that doesn’t fix any problem with low levels. Why don’t we just require a pool of ascension exp to unlock each prestige? Well at that point it’s ENTIRELY mindless grinding. “Do the same thing you’ve been doing for the past few years to get new content”. Why don’t we just give the million exp to jump commanders from 1 to 15 in 1 game like in PTR? Why don’t we just unlock all the prestiges by default? Would that make everyone happy? Congrats, you got new content without having to work for it. You’ve completely destroyed any semblance of effort and payoff. Forum will go back to complaining everything is too easy. Balanced like everything should be.

1 Like

Congrats, you got new content without having to work for it.

You can work for it with many other ways, instead of grinding with releveling and losing all your tools.

It is the same, as quote “Relevel commanders once again (whose are made to be working fully properly from lvl 15) just to earn some prestiges, that u can not even choose”

I have even a better idea, push people in WoW into releveling all theirs characters for new expansions, because it is too hard to offer proper and intresting content.

Not to mention that, you are not actually changing almost any strategy while you are on low level, you are just skipping few levels per game. They did not put you into harder games - all they did is - they put you into the same games, but they have taken all of your items. It is more than obvious, when you can not use ur prestige, because you need to be at lvl 12 (for some characters) to actually use your NEW content. Releveling with less items, even without working prestiges. Do not even tell me to switch for another prestige, if this one needs level 12 to be working. That is - once again - pointless. Or did they just make a prestige, that does not work from lvl 1 and expect us to relevel this prestige with vanilla commander? Lazy stuff. Rushed stuff. What is more, this is ultra dumb for us a players to deal with.

I do not even think, they do care about it. Just throw a thing, that players would like to do. Make it grindy. It will cost WAY too much time to unlock, but it will bring a lot of people to play the game again, to spam some maps, and spend tons of time for some buffs and debuffs for theirs commanders. After all, they might go back again into playing these commanders, but on random maps or brutations.

Just finished P3 with Vorazun, and P1 with Raynor. I do not want to repeat this. I was considering getting the War Chest for the extra ~30k XP to help level up faster (without cheesing CoD on B+6 or just grinding VT) but the re-leveling is a real let down.

I’ll support Co-op by buying commanders, rather than ladder war chests.

Even if we could select which Prestige we want to get rather than sequential, if someone wants all 3, that’s 3 grinds. There are better ways to have done this, a few of those listed above in this and other threads.

Maybe I’ll leave it be for a couple of days and grind one Prestige per CO per week.

2 Likes

Im all for grinding and having fun, but after doing about 5-6 worth of 1-15s ( 3 tychuses, 2 Zeratul, 2 karax, 1/3rd of a raynor) i just have to say that, you know, it is good getting more mileage, but i feel like it’s more aimed at just people with maybe 1-2 commanders focuses and that’s fine. We had fast leveling on the ptr, and it was fun unlocking a new mastery, trying it out, and then trying to experiment with it. I feel like the current design while fresh the first 2-3 times… really gets a bit overdone the 4th 5th and 6th time.

I think on average, for a brutal game you’re looking at like 5-7 hours per 1-15, or about a evening for a single prestiege of farming brutal games. Say, you get 55k exp for a 20 minute avg brutal and need 1,045,000 to level 1-15. That’s about 19-22 games of brutal or 23-26 on hard depending on bonuses / random map.

Okay so lets take it, and lets say, ballpark it and say, you’re a good player, you get your missions won nearly every time and you take like say a nice even 20 games of hard to brutal to level up 1-15.

Now, lets say that each game on average is say, 20 minutes ingame.

20 brutal Games * 20 minutes = 7.33 Hours for 1-15.
Now (thankfully), since games in coop are set to fastest (1.5x) speed. That basically shortens it down to about 5 - 6 hours a 1-15 depending how you play and your commander’s speed.

Now multiply that by 3, and low lvl commanders, and it can be 15 - 18 hours of gameplay to max prestiege a single commander.

Multiply that grind by say, a modest 5 of maybe some commanders you care about / own. And that’s 75 - 90 hours of grinding. That’s a fair amount of grind that a old runescape skill would have say, for 1 - 99 woodcutting or fletching or something… And that’s just 25% of the commanders.

Lets say you want to, for some reason do the whole 18. 18 Commanders * 15-18 IRL hours each = 270 - 325 hours to priestiege all 18 commanders. 200 hours is more than some working adults play their favorite game in a year. But if you were to grind solely towards it, if you wanted to unlock all prestieges within say, a month of grinding.

That would need to be about 9 - 11 hours a day, for a entire month. If you wanted to do it all in two weeks, doing 18-22 hours a day of grinding, Forget it. If you wanted to do it in 1 week, im sorry but you would need a time machine to play 36 - 44 hours a day.

If you set the deadline for a much more longer say, 6 months, (or 180 days), you could be looking at a much more reasonable 10 - 15 hours a week which isn’t too bad. If you were focused on only completing one commander, it would take probably 15 - 18 hours for a average person random queing 20 minute games. if done at casual or slower speed, it could literally take 900 hours if a masochist wanted to complete it at the slowest xp rates with no holiday bonus on the lowest difficulty and time.

This is clearly a jawbreaker update meant to last a while, but also at the same time… I miss the ptr where, just since leveling is fast doesn’t mean people didn’t like playing around with the masteries! Right now it just feels like you unlock them and don’t even get to enjoy them. You zip and playing max mastery commanders feels like a waste since you feel obligated to prestiege and unlock your lower level commanders. Since… What in case you need them someday?

I would so kill for a +50% boost the first prestiege, a +100% xp boost the 2nd, and a +150% xp boost the 3rd. At least after the 1st or 2nd commander. I get it’s meant to be a jawbreaker update but comeon we were playing coop just for the fun of coop with the prestieged commanders on PTR, we could have fun with the playstyles and not need to be lvl 1-15 rofl.

250 - 300 hours to unlock all prestieges at average 20 minute hard/brutal games on fastest is a little… much. 900 Hours if you do it on casual at slowest w/o is… lolwut.

5 Likes

That’s a nice workaround/fix without Blizz having to break their own Activate Prestige mechanics, or change it much. But make those boosts 100%, 200%, 300%. Nothing’s really being gained by re-leveling to keep it XP-gated, except a new ability which only fully comes into affect once you hit lvl 15. The first time you level a CO, that’s fine to be the way it is coz you’re effectively learning that CO.

If they end up unlocking the level prestige system, I think people who really did grind are going to be furious at this point lol.

Might be a lose lose situation in doing that, while bliz still loses a lot of the “new content” as people will ignore the ones they don’t like forever.

I am curious how this whole thing turns out in the end, especially after all of our heated debates lol.

2 Likes

Isn’t that what you have said people should do… if they don’t want it, just ignore it.

Blizzard could still keep… and extend… the Prestige “Level” allowing people to relevel multiple times (for some in game graphic award)… and that would even be interesting if they did things like making Prestige+Mastery fully available at 1-15

2 Likes

Yeah that is what I said, which is why I’m saying that doing so isn’t an incentive for bliz, imo? But like I said above I am curious, so we will see.

Yup, this is exactly the point. The charm of it the first time was that it was a tutorial on the commander. Everything was new, exciting, and fun, and you learned as you leveled. When you know the commander inside and out, there’s nothing challenging or rewarding about releveling for most of us. It’s just taking away what we enjoyed, having a full kit and the masteries we grinded to earn. And for anyone who’s going to say “well now it’s a tutorial on prestiges,” no, because so many of them don’t unlock at level 1, and some still barely even have an effect without mastery points. It’s just pointless design. If people get off on releveling, let them do it themselves without it being tied to a new feature.

9 Likes

To the handful of you who keep coming back to beat your dead horse that the rest of us are dumb whiners and whatever - nobody is asking for everything to just be handed to us, we’re just asking for it to be toned way down. Stop pretending you don’t understand that. And if you like this then cool, but you wouldn’t really be negatively affected if we got our wish, while atm we are very negatively affected.

Pointing to people who choose to put up with it is equally selfish, and meaninglessly anti-progress.

3 Likes