Raven needs some love

I do not need building buffs I need Reven buffs(Turret’s to be exact).

h ttps://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Auto-Turret_(Legacy_of_the_Void)

Replacing AAM with defensive matrix would be nice. AAM is kinda bad and has a win more design to it.

1 Like

Yes, which is why I stated adding Protoss/Zerg equivalents would not be an issue (well, Cannons/Spines against ground would be because the upgrade is not meant to increase ground range past 7, but if the photon cannon attack were split such that it increased air range without increasing ground range that would be fine).

Removing those upgrades from Terran would be a bit of a problem. Mech can be quite reliant on them.

Personally, I would rather replace Auto-Turrets with Defensive Matrix.

I guess it still makes sense to replace AAM with Defensive Matrix though; since AAM is so niche that it is practically never used outside of mass Battlecruiser compositions.

I’d like to add - while still agreeing with the topic overall -

that ravens are just one of those situational units… (hence you’re not seeing them in “each” game…)

Just looking at the TvP:

Just try to build an ALL kind of units type of play, maybe in 2on2 (lower league) or vs AI…
Actually alot of units are not used every game you will notice.

• Thors vs Protoss? Tempest Stack, no.
  • Widow mines, yea vs mass zealot/adept, but I still don’t see them in “each” game,
  • tanks - yea defensively, sometimes
  • Banshee? Yea as a specific opening, 1 to 2 of them.
  • BC? also falls off quickly vs experienced protoss that know how to counter
  • Cyclone? In the opening,1x, not 100%
  • Reaper? Yea each game, but also just 1, for scouting…
  • And of course there are specific all ins…(2 base mostly), or early game variants…

So to conclude… Terrran has alot of get-1 units or for specific pushes. Few of the units are “each game”. The ones noobs get recommended are: MMM Tanks maybe widow mines, and vs protoss with the new patch the ghost. And not to forget the Viking as the flying anti air. And of course I know the liberator is good.

But yea still the raven feels too weak for its cost and tech, as said, improvements:

1. I’d could imagine the point defense drone as 4th skill (Hey the Viper has 4 skills too - and yes getting full mana is a spell),
  2. or an easier to position turret (it’s often blocked), but still functioning as a blocker, and more range to place it, it’s deadly to place it… Sounds not alot, but it is.
  3. or some! damage maybe with an extra delay on the “Seeker Missile” (aka Anti Armor Missile) = reduce armor but deal damage later = 100% hit fast like NOW, but with an extra damage after 3-4 seconds, damage could be anything from 5 to 20 or more with more thinking into it… <- just a small suggestion… I’m certain one of those ideas fits well,

Blizzard just has to do it, but the Raven should stay High-Tech-situational. The enemy has to scout it afterall… “ah techlab, either Banshee, BC, or… Raven.” • Amen

Not saying my idea is a “fix” and not saying the topic or the vipers ought to be fixed. BUT listen to my suggestion: …

GIVE Ravens’ Interference Matrix, the ability to disable Lurkers.
This spell only disables one unit anyways…
The Viper’s Blinding Cloud is capable of “disabling” many units at once…
I don’t see why Zerg should be able to disable anything they want,
and why the Terran’s Raven can only disable units in TvT and TvP (and psionics, so infestors if you want…) and again, just one unit, at least with the latest patch, getting above 150 energy is rare (for 2 disables at most).

Again I’m not saying it is THE cool thing to do. but it is giving cool options making the raven a bit more useful here (see topic) as opposed to the Viper which has actually so many more uses… this is not a balanced caster design…

HOW CAN YOU JUSTIFY IT?

• Make the Lurker Psionic, that’s it - everything dealt with. (ok, come with a better idea for the raven here).
  • The terran atm has no game breaker vs Zerg at all (like vs Lurkers), the raven being at l east capable of doing it, will add some much needed spice here…

Bring the science Vassel, just change the EMP with auto turret.

1 Like

remove techlab requirement for raven. The unit has been gutted into a support unit so why not just allow it to be attained easier?

2 Likes

Blizzard has been tweaking the Raven since WoL and they have sucked the entire time. All they had to do was put sci vessels in instead but no. They had to just keep doubling down on stupid abilities. Ravens have been either OP or useless with no in between for years.

anti-armor missile need to be instant cast no animation
Interference Matrix need also to immobilised the unit ( and still will be worse spell then Abduct) .
turret is fine .

1 Like

Are you kidding me? I play EU…NA is my screw around server.

Using league as an argument is like failing a general intelligence test.

Good question what is Raven Designed for? Raven’s late game usage is almost non existent.

1 Like

Storm, Disruptor Novas, and Extended Lance. You were saying something about being able to destroy armies in 0.5 secs? I agree that the Hunter Seeker was a bit overtuned. Like Parasitic Bomb, it should have had its damage reduced by about 50%, so that it contributed not overwhelmed. Also, increasing the Raven’s Supply Cost to 3 would probably help matters… but what are you talking about? Ravens aren’t used. Right now its little more than a very expensive Observer with expensive toys. It can’t harass after your enemy has an air army. It doesn’t really support either, because its support spells are only useful against one target (IM) or don’t matter against Zerg’s low efficiency units or Protoss’s high DPS units, so it’s basically just duplicating the role of scans, except for minerals.

If it were valuable, it would be used. It presently is presently dead weight in the Terran arsenal.

1 Like

What about a Tactical Jump for Ravens?

To be fair, I don’t see them balancing Irradiate in StarCraft II. It is a very weak spell at 75 energy compared to other “snipes”, but balancing it for general use requires a much lower energy cost that introduces a number of competing issues.

I don’t see this spell working without some odd behaviors like changing the duration based on the target (whether its mechanical for eraser tricks or biological, etc).

Interesting. Irradiate seems to be what Parasitic Bomb is.

1 Like

No, Parasitic Bomb has a larger radius and persists after the target dies such that it always has the same maximum damage.

Irradiate damages all biological targets (friend or foe) around the target unit but ends when the target unit dies.

True, been a while since I played Brood War… Still, Irradiate would be better than what the Raven has now, though the turret gun is not terrible (though it needs to be buffed up to where it was before).

1 Like

Oh yeah, I miss the Science Vessel so much. Such a solid unit.

1 Like