Raven needs some love

Raven is both worst spellcaster and most expensive spellcaster in the game.

And on top of that it can only be made by Starport on techlab - infrastructure you normally don’t want to have in either of match-ups.

At the current moment only 1 to 3 Ravens per game are built in TvT, 0-1 in TvP and 0 in TvZ.
Compare it to other casters in game: Vipers, Infestors, HT, Sentries, Ghosts.

Something must be done about it.

13 Likes

Bio-Mechanical repairing drone or Defence matrix. Or return rocket.

Building in Corvid Reactor(Raven Energy upgrade that provides +25 energy) would be a great change for it.

So would removing the Tech-Lab requirement so you could reactor them.

Also reducing the cost down from 100/200 to 100/150 would be very reasonable too.

Removing the Light attribute tag would be a tiny buff that wouldn’t break any match ups.

3 Likes

What’s the point if Raven is still useless?

Other then early-mid game pushes in TvT and TvP the spells that Raven have are simply too weak to justify their use.

Look for example at anti-armor missile: conceptually its a good spell, but in real game not so much (outside of TvT).
Chargelots charge into your army before AAM hits them, so your army gets the debuff. We saw this even in Maru games.

High tech units under IM simply retreat back - together with the rest of the army - and return 8 seconds later.
Tempests kill Ravens before they even get in range to use IM.

In TvZ its even worse since majority of damage when it matters is done by burst damage units - tanks, WM, Libs, Ghost snipe shots.

In TvT Vikings will zone Ravens out when Viking number is large enough.

1 Like

Raven can disable every key units in the protoss arsenal prior to HT
Terran : We nEeD sOmE lOvE wOrSt SpELlCaStER mOsT exPeNsIVE
Also terran : 'member when raven was able to destroy armies in 0.5sc ? Yeah I miss this time. Finally a balanced game

11 Likes

Came here to say this. Ravens can disable mechanical units. That is a biiiiiiig deal. And arguably, overpowered.

9 Likes

Profile Summary
Total Career Games
1v1 Platinum.

Yeah, I see where you got an idea that this spell scales well.

PS. As pretty much everybody said many times Raven IS overpowered in early game in TvT - that’s why people ALWAYS build 1-3 Ravens in TvT - but stops being effective in midgame, because its expensive, takes production time of infrastructure that is better be spend elsewhere, is zoned out by Vikings (or by Thors of mech player) and simply is not good enough to be used.

In TvP its even worse because it works only in mid game push against certain builds. People sometimes make ONE Raven for this reason, but usually don’t.
Oh, people also usually build ONE Raven when they suspect that DTs are incoming, but that’s it.

What part of this is too hard for average Protoss whiner to understand?

4 Likes

Trying to shame people with their profile stats is not cool.

I actually agree.

But what else can we say to people who don’t read anything and post some nonsense that is not backed neither by games replays, nor even by opinion of somebody who is actually good?

Raven is being buffed… But Terrans allways want more.

4 Likes

A movement speed increase, which doesn’t make players want to build it more in TvZ and TvP.

They can disable Mechanical and Psionic units.

But it doesn’t make it OP since those units are not dead and can still move. BW Lockdown was much stronger.

2 Likes

Given there are plans on increasing the cost of Interference Matrix from 50 to 75 and its duration from 7 to 11 seconds, what if the ability also immobilised the unit, akin to Lockdown?

I worry a little because mass Raven still exists (I’m a user of it) and any straight buff to it may cause it to return. I tend to use Interference Matrix in an attempt to catch Battlecruisers, disable a Thor or, more rarely, counter an enemy nuke (casting it on the Ghost that’s directing the nuclear missile will cause it to be lost), but the nice thing about increasing its cost is that it loses its effectiveness when Ravens are massed, while having one or two to support a more conventional army means you could actually choose to kill the unit instead of watching it retreat only to return a moment later.

2 Likes

As overpowered as anti gravity? Like saying ‘Phoenix can take muh siege tank and disable it’… it’s not Lockdown still.

They dont wanna do it since they are nerfing IM for the energy reason. But im against their nerf, it kills the unit partially (yet another time Raven ability gets nerfed then why Raven so bad)

1 Like

No need to build more if you keep yours alive witch is exactly what this buff helps.

It’s a support unit, provides detection, can harass, can break siege, can turn the whole game in your favor. “Worse spellcaster” lol.

4 Likes

For a support unit, it should be less gas heavy. Since it doesn’t have the killing power the other casters do.

2 Likes

Laughs in Mothership.

1 Like

I’m all for buffing the Mothership

You never sugested reducing the gas of it, and I’m ok with the MS price and I think it should be expensive, the only problem I have with it is being vulnerable to spells witch is not a matter of price. Your Raven in the other hand is getting a vulnerability reducing buff so stop complaining.

Also Raves can wreck mineral lines and can put dps into a fight, so no to that:

1 Like

Not even remotely to the power that the Infestor can do or with the cast range IT’s have.

Terrans should be able to add Ravens into comps like how Zerg adds Vipers into comps or Protoss adds Oracles.

1 Like

Ravens are fine. They are support casters, and they are actually very good at what they do. About the only thing they need is a gas cost reduction, because they ARE overly expensive.

1 Like