Question about disruptors

What is the lore behind a disruptor energy ball being able to pass through a forcefield?

The game lore has eldritch gods and psi powers, we can easily BS a reason the energy nova passes through forcefields and keep the working design as it is ^^

Sadly every type of attack goes thru forcefields. Except melee. Sentry pretty much ruined the game for protoss. Relative to it being added as a new unit that wasn’t needed in sc1.

I want to know the lore behind it though.

There’s no lore. It’s just a bad unit. In fact in the alpha, there was no sentry. There was more of an oracle type unit instead. Which they then held off on. Until bringing it in with HOTS.

There is neither lore nor reason involved in Nova behavior. Just imagine the absurdity of an Energy Ball that is able to traverse Force-Fields but unable to traverse earth and rock?
To be consistent if the Nova passed the FF, it also should ignore terrain (like it does in Coop).
I guess the decision is purely related to balance.

3 Likes

Sentries’ force fields classically repel solid objects, not energy (contrary to shields). :mag_right:

As for disruptors, in fact lore wise the energy novas they do project can be wayyy larger than any force-fields, around 3 Km radius for some of the most recent Daelaam versions. They’re weapons of mass destruction, so to speak. So using a force-field against those would be like trying to stop a flood with sheets of paper, not really what works best. XD

I recently made a guide for my community about Protoss units, that’s why I’m up to date regarding lore. Fandom was one of the sources I used, and regarding lore they’re excellent :

2 Likes

Adept shades can pass through force fields too. Imagine the shock on my face when I was trying to learn how to play PvP and it turns out the sentry force field can’t block adept shades. Made me wonder for a while why people open stalker sentry.

1 Like

That was the HOTS build. Protoss would “edit the map” as Patchtoss put it. Sentries got destroyed in LOTV.

The above mentioned problems. And also ravagers in PVZ make it pretty much impossible to play like how patchtoss used to.