Protoss Nerf/Buff: Carriers

Slow the manufacture time of Interceptors from 9s to 30s. Reduce the cost of Interceptors from 15M to 0M. It’s stupid that a 350M 250G 6S unit becomes deadweight in end game, meanwhile Zerg has TWO units that spew out #FREEUNITS.

For the record, this is just spitballing. Not married to the idea in the least. Just food for thought.

1 Like

How about no. You know whats better idea than to buff race thats only strugglig vs one of three? To nerf race thats not struggling in any matchup. Each locust should cost 10 minerals.

3 Likes

Interesting idea… It certainly solves the #FreeUnits problem.

I mean… It wouldnt be a problem if we had ways to deal with it for free… But the things can fly and are tanky + have DPS of battlecruiser…

2 Likes

Does that include removing the time limit?

1 Like

Yeah, until the ultra late game, when they run out of minerals… I mean, I’m not a huge fan of #FreeUnits, but 350/250/6 is a big investment for it to become deadweight in the ultra late game. And it’s clear with Zerg mechanics that the #BananalanceTeam has no qualms about free units.

No. It would make locust exactly like interceptors when carriers used their ability back then. They flew away at timer and then died. It was removed because it was imba.

I meant locust by that. And all units should have some cost associated with them. Even repairing BC gets very expansive in late game. Only Zerg can fight forever currently.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s true. Late game is a JOKE. Zerg is supposed to be “economy inefficient”, but their late game units are tough as hell, and HEAL, which means they run in, pick off a unit or two, then retreat to the Spore Crawler forest, and just bleed Terrans and Protoss late game armies out.

Carriers with “free” Interceptors would at least stand a chance in this situation…

Aye, the flip from Roach/ling types of units to Viper/Infestor/Brood is kinda silly. You have “inefficient” units with clear strenghts and weaknesses in early game and eco to pull off using these units, but then you gain units that are infinitely efficient like viper or SH with massive macro that you have left from previous phase of the game.

2 Likes

Yes, which results in Zerg having this MASSIVE bank, that they can use to replace their entire army MULTIPLE times over… even though it’s not like Protoss or Terran units can come CLOSE to forcing a bad trade… and even if they DID, Zerg would be remaxed and over the Protoss and Terran production facilities while Protoss and Terran replacement units were at 50% done.

It’s a freaking JOKE.

And they give HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars out to Zerg, and pretend this crap is “competitive”.

I do not think this would be a good change.
For starters, free units have no place in a Resource Wars style RTS (finite resources) like Starcraft.
And on a second point, it would make the Carrier even more dead weight than it is now, as it would need even more time to get to operational capacity, not to mention that your first few Carriers would be useless for a long time after spawning.

What is really holding the Carrier back, is that Anti-Air splash kills Interceptors way too fast, and that the Carrier itself is not a very resilient unit.

I would suggest an upgrade at the Fleet Beacon, that speeds up Interceptor training time, and if that is still not enough, a +1 to Armour; at which point I believe the Carrier would recover it’s position as a lategame powerhouse, in the vein of the Battlecruiser and the Broodlord.

1 Like

does that also mean carriers will be as slow a broodlords? slower than the mothership?

bl speed 1.97
carrier 2.62
motherhip 2.62
battlecruiser 2.62

Let’s just leave the carriers as it is. If anything, Carriers needs buffs not nerfs.

2 Likes

Those free units have time limits, are slow, only shoot ground, etc

1 Like

Imba but oh so glorious. Release then recall was hilarious.

Does that mean that corruptors will also get a speed nerf? Buffing their speed while they have bonus dmg vs massive was one of the most nonsensical things we have seen in ages.

1 Like

Stop asking for buff Air units! I feel so stupid that air units are so OP. You dont feel that as much in 1v1 but in team games oh so stupid! Starts with Stupid Phoenix and ends with undefeatable champion Carrier!

Carrier interceptor build time has been problematic for a long time. They recently decreased it to 9 from 11 showing that blizzard did recognize the problem but thats still not really enough. Basically for a carrier to get to full strength it takes 64 seconds to build plus 36 seconds to have a total of 8 interceptors. So basically its 100 seconds for a full strength carrier. Does that sound right? 100 seconds to get to the expected level of functionality? Not to mention that in actual battle you lose them and vs even a handful of marines or hydras carriers can quickly become a paperweight as opposed to the capital ship and premier unit of the protoss army.

The interceptor build time should be around 6-7 seconds. The alternative is leave carriers as they are and just let them come out with more interceptors to start (like 6-8). Either would be ok.

3 Likes

Then have ALL of the interceptors “spawn” at the same time.