Portraits mismatches - Reports & workarounds - TY bugfix team!

So it would seem indeed. The parent company has been firing employees over the last years, and with the last blog update, it’s probable the teams dedicated to SC2 for the long run have been downsized. They also are having ingame issues, which probably take priority. Add to that that those who did the forum might’ve been a temporary or external team… and it doesn’t looks very encouraging indeed. :neutral_face:

Still the teams left should now be mostly dedicated to bugfixing. So, there’s still a hope, that when they’re done fixing higher priority issues (which should eventually happen), they finally remember the forums could use some attention as well.

:sun_behind_large_cloud:

1 Like

Yeah, the situation around doesn’t help, but true there’s still some hope.

Anyway, 24h after ranking, still no avatar back for EU forums.

• after playing Coop till past 16:00, I went to the EU forums and logged out/in -> nothing changed
  • I relaunched the game, switched account to NA and opened Portraits, then back to EU, changed avatar to Mengsk -> still stalled on both EU forums
  • left them open in browser, relaunched, stayed on EU and changed to Tychus -> no change either

Only things I haven’t done this time are ranking on NA too and playing an Arcade game. Maybe they are needed, or the workaround simply doesn’t work anymore.

1 Like

Ranking in NA is the only thing there that might affect recognition by the profile websites. But I think that since the 23rd of October, what changed is that the forums cannot read some information on website profiles. And if I’m right, that means indeed that our workarounds do not work anymore. And that our only option is to wait patiently for the website teams to consider fixing the issues we delimited. :candle:

1 Like

Done my ranking on NA 1v1 yesterday around 11:30, ranked in Bronze too.

Today around 13:00, I tried to log out/in from the Fr forum, got this during page load after validating login screen: “Sorry, we are currently experiencing technical difficulties.”, and a “404 Not Found” if hitting the login button right away from the “difficulties” page, tried for EU-En in private browsing, same story.
Retried around 16:15, errors again.
Around 17:55, just before writing this, yet again.

No idea if it’s a wide problem, or only for EU forums, and still don’t wanna log out from the US forum to test. So I don’t know if the avatar got fixed :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Hey Darfeyn !

Sorry for the unusual silence (it’s been about five days) ! I wondered if you did guess what happened : I got the very same bug you were describing above, in other words, once logged out, a complete inability to log back in into the forum ! :laughing:
I had each and everyone of the errors your described, with a “we’re currently experiencing technical difficulties” error, a 0404 error “Page not found”, and even some exotic “translation missing: en.login.omniauth_error.generic” errors.

And so of course, I couldn’t post anymore ! The interesting detail was that my account was affected both in US and EU.

So I contacted the support by opening a ticked (I could still log on the websites, not on the forums), and though at first they thought it was some misconfiguration of some sorts, they took things more and more seriously, and after three days considered the issue as a greater problem and transmitted it to the concerned teams.

24H later, I can log once again. So, kudos for the technical support team ! :smiley: :+1:

I must also thank you directly Darfeyn, as I used one of your posts in this thread to explain to them I thought this was a general issue. :star2:

I thought the issue was linked to the stalled avatars one, but that doesn’t seem to be the case though. It’d be interesting if you could try login-in the EU forums once again. :thinking:

It’s worldwide enough to affect both EU and US, dunno if the other forums are affected but one could guess so.

I would advice not loggin-out for US forums until you have confirmed you could log back in into EU first. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

A bit late to answer too, not because of bugged forums-related reasons though.

Yeah, figured it was happening to others as well, after seeing the activity drop these past days. Glad it got resolved quickly, at least for us :slight_smile:

@FearrWhalins and @Dallarian got the issue too:

Don’t think both bugs were related, given that your and others’ avatars seem still stalled, and I retried login-in EU-Fr & En forums now they work again, but my avatars are still stalled here too - default SCII…

1 Like

Well that’s the bright side of me having such an inconvenience : I was able to get the support team realize rather quickly that this was a general forums issue (kudos to Zeadom in particular, who caught on fast) :+1: . So I can only suppose they fixed the issues for the others in the same time.

Yep, now that we know that fixing one doesn’t solves the other, it means that they probably weren’t linked. However, I first thought they were, and also used one of your messages in that thread to prove the technical agents this was a larger issue. So it’s likely that people managing the forum are now aware of the stalled avatars bugs as well. :bulb:

Also, dunno if you noticed, but since a few days after the patch 5.0.4 thread, they seem to have fixed the mismatches on the profile websites :

My avatar on the websites is now the Stars’ party, with a 14-14 batch reference :

And Kerrigan (which was previously the 14-14) is now 15-14 :

They also reuploaded the black avatars, as proven by Heromarines 2019’s avatar (8-16) now being displayed instead of the black one it used to be :

Also the missing portraits (which couldn’t be found anywhere), are now available. They were in batch 9 in fact :

So I think the websites team saw the thread, and successfully corrected the mismatches. Thumbs up of them. :+1:

So the only issue left to fix is the purely forums one “stalled avatars” bugs (which unfortunately prevents us from benefiting from the fixing of the mismatched avatars lists XD). But they should be aware of it by now, since I presented them the two issues. So maybe its chances to get fixed in the next months did increase a bit.

At worse, we could always get through technical support once again ; but as they just made the effort to fix the login bug I reported to them, I don’t feel it would be fair for me to pressure them about the stalled avatars at the moment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

First post updated : the stalled avatars fixed as well ?

Hey Darfeyn (and others), I’ve got good news : at least a part of the stalled avatars were just fixed !

To update it back, just :

• Log out and back in.
  • Or delete your browser’s cookies, and log back-in.

That should be enough to refresh it. Even better, if you do change it ingame, check your battlenet player profile : as soon at the portrait refreshes into it (< 2 minutes), you can do the above refresh maneuvers to get it changed into the forums as well. :bulb:

Thanks for reporting the good news, guys !

As Dallarian said, that fix brings backs a bit more colors in our battlenet exchanges. But there’s also another bright side to it, it being that if will be more difficult for trolls to create an account imitating another (with the same name), as their newly created ones now won’t necessarily have the same portraits unlocked ingame. In other words, that means less smurfing/trolling on the forums ! :star2:

In fact the avatars fixed were stalled as well, there had been a second and third wave affecting about 50% of the profiles since the 22th of October. :mag:

If your avatar still is blocked on the default one after doing the above refresh maneuvers, do report it here and we’ll study your case. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So it appears there are still a handful of persons affected by a stalling bug, even if it was fixed for most of us. I wonder if there weren’t two different bugs, as the one that was fixed (and that affected most people) seemed not to respond to a workaround that previously had some effect :

Alright, so with Darfeyn we had a workaround that worked for a few guys. It’d be interesting if you could give it a try now that a part of the bugs has been squashed :

1 Like

Thanks @Trias for continuing to point out these very clear and visible bugs.

I’m not sure why you say I spread/propagated the bugs, all I did was delimit them as precisely as externally possible in order to speed up the fixing ; and inform some of the technical staff about it.

1 Like

Hey Trias!

Figured I drop in to say my stalled SCII portrait is fixed.

It wasn’t anything I did so it must have been fixed on the back end. Thanks for all the work you did on this!

3 Likes

Ahhh, excellent news ! :partying_face:

Your avatar had been among the ones stalled for the longest time (if not the longest), so I consider that with your avatar returned we can consider the issue as mostly solved.

For all those still having issues, I’d recommend :

• Log-out and back in from the forums or deleting their browsers’ cache/cookies.
  • In case that doesn’t work, changing their ingame avatars.
  • If that still doesn’t work, to post a message here in order for the tech support to notice (it’s possible some profiles have to be fixed manually).
    :mag_right:

Including changing your selected avatar ? I recall having checked yours a few days ago, and you had the classic SC protoss portrait.

I merely helped delimiting the issues, and catching the devs’ attention. The devs, from the bugfixing team and forum teams are the ones you’d want to thank. They’re the ones who gave to our forums their colors back.

So I’ll say it once again : thanks bugsfixing team, and thanks forums team ! :smiley:

2 Likes

Ah yes. I actually did that. It was about 2 weeks ago, so possibly it affected it?

2 Likes

Mmmh. Well I checked your avatar in the profiles API website about 5-7 days ago, and it was still displaying the SC classic protoss avatar. So :

• if you changed it afterwards it may have triggered the refresh (in combination with the general bugfixing done recently).
  • If you changed it prior to that (which you seem to imply), then it didn’t, and it means your profile was noticed as still bugged and manually fixed by the support (some special MVP treatment at last :wink: ).

Either way, just in case, I included the avatar change step in the first post. The second possibility (which is the most probable) implies some of the messages of this section might’ve caught the attention of the relevant teams. So if others are affected, they could follow the same steps, and then patiently wait for a manual fix.

In that case, though my part was already played, the thread might still be of some utility, for the few ones still affected to get noticed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello can I get a manual fix on my forum portrait, it’s supposed to be the wol infestor like in game. I tricked the system into using the carbot one for now, but every time I switch to the wol infestor and relog it displays a queen of blades portrait. Tried deleting cookies, using different browsers and devices, no fix.

Hi Lethe,

If you know the corresponding mismatch, you could try the reverse trick. It may fix the forum displayed portrait. Now, the mismatches used to be the first digit of each list/set.

So if

• this https://static.starcraft2.com/starport/bda9a860-ca36-11ec-b5ea-4bed4e205979/portraits/12-29.jpg (12-29) is the desired portrait.
  • and https://static.starcraft2.com/starport/bda9a860-ca36-11ec-b5ea-4bed4e205979/portraits/13-29.jpg (13-29) is the mismatching output.

Then, if the current lists’ shift is similar to the prior one, it means that the one you should select with your US account might be the chief zealot https://static.starcraft2.com/starport/bda9a860-ca36-11ec-b5ea-4bed4e205979/portraits/11-29.jpg. :mag_right:

NB : don’t forget to log-out / re log-in after you changed your portrait so that the avatar gets updated.

As for having your portrait manually fixed by the staff, supposing they are aware the portrait lists mismatches bug came back, they might do if for you ; but filing a ticked seems a better way to get their attention. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you very much, I will try each of your solutions when I get home today.

edit: It seems the reverse trick worked, thanks again!

1 Like

Hello can I get a manual fix on my forum portrait, it’s supposed to be the “Dark Void” portrait. I Started having this issue today after i checked a msg, tried logging back in & out changing the in game portrait too & nothing works its now stuck on the default one. 10 mins later… Ok i just logged back in now its set to the “Dark Templar” portrait but I have it set in game to the “Dark Void” portrait, how do i fix this? Any help is appreciated. I’m trying to set it to the “Dark Void” portrait, like i have it set in game.

Hi DonDadda,
Some of the portraits lists are mismatched on the forum, so if the portrait you want on the forum, you can set it so that it displays the one you want on the forums… or to display the one you wish ingame. But you can’t have both until the lists get corrected.

Anyway, if you want to have the Dark Void on the forums, my bet is you need to select this one ingame : https://static.starcraft2.com/starport/bda9a860-ca36-11ec-b5ea-4bed4e205979/portraits/10-20.jpg

Sorry I don’t have a fix for both right now. :angel: