Point of Burrow function in coop?

Burrow is a Zerg mechanic usually for ambushing. But how are they useful in Co-op?
There is no point in burrowing in co-op and Amon sends his detectors anyways…

I sometimes use burrow to hide from enemies but becomes useless in later games
And it does become annoying when I accidently press the burrow button during the battle and get my armies slaughtered.

I would understand if burrow

• increases regeneration (Health or Energy)
  • give buff allies or nerf enemies.

But nah.

1 Like

Okay, let me put it in simple terms for you…

• Roaches and Ravagers regenerate faster while burrowed.
  • Lurkers require you to burrow them to function at all.
  • Swarm Hosts and Creeper Hosts can burrow to avoid some combat while spitting out their locusts.
  • Infested Banshees regenerate faster while burrowed.
  • It’s useful for shuffling your army around. I do it quite often while playing Abathur to keep my spellcasters in the back.
  • Vorazun’s abilities actually buff things that can burrow and attack, or burrow and regenerate energy.
    If burrowing is bothering you that much, go rebind/unbind the key. That way, you can’t accidentally burrow, unless you’re the type to use the mouse to select your abilities. Then there is nothing I can do for you.
8 Likes

Yeah but those are SPECIAL zerg units. What about them in general?
(Zerglings, Banelings, Hydras, Queens, Ultras, Abherations, Kerrigan, Zagara, Primals, Simulants etc)?
It would be nice if there are Burrow Regeneration upgrade for zergs. +2 hp.

4 Likes

If Amon didn’t send detectors after early game, I totally would do some bane mines with Zagara XD

Burrow is not bad per se, it’s just that queens are not really usefull except for Abathur, like, if Zagara and Kerrigan’s queens had normal movement speed off creep, I would burrow and heal the wounded frontline to not lose gas units so wastefully.

A better question.
Since Zerg units already have the burrow ability from campaign and versus, why would blizzard bother to remove it?

4 Likes

From time to time I use burrow on Kerrigan and Zagara in the early game to get out of trouble.

1 Like

I like to burrow a zergling at the locks of lock and load, so they don’t move away when I F2 my army. Also if I want to keep vision somewhere.

11 Likes

Burrow is just a trait that Zergs have. They’ve had it since the original Starcraft. To remove it is to take away a useful trait of the Zerg.

1 Like

I just want burrow to have some useful function other than stealth in coop.
Maybe I’m just being greedy.

1 Like

It does have a useful function. I literally listed off all of the major uses of Burrow. Not everything needs a bonus from Burrow, otherwise we’ll run into a major breaking point with Zerg. They already have Deep Tunnel as a buffed up Burrow.

1 Like

Burrow if good for saving units that got into trouble at least.
But I have another question. Have anyone ever used Dropperlodrs in co-op (except while playing zerg during recent bug with broken ramps)? I feel like its the most useless upgrade in this mode.

When ally is Vorazun, burrowed Zerg units can regenerate energy faster, it’s helpful for Queens, Kerrigan, and Zagara.

Also, when your important unit gets ganged up, and enemy doesn’t have detector at the moment, you can burrow them to shift enemy aggro to somewhere else. I saved my Zagara many times with this, then Zerglings buy her time to get away.

1 Like

I actually get some use out of it early on as Abathur. It really helps with early bio-mass collection as I can push out with 3 roaches, lure stuff back into nests and regen their health/micro them more effectively.

It’s also saved my bacon against attack waves - burrowing my drones until I can get units out to defend.

1 Like

Even if you don’t have special Zerg units, Burrow really helps with their longevity, because it reduces their combat priority, so enemy units won’t target them if there are unburrowed units nearby. Even discounting their increased health regeneration, I use Burrow on Abathur’s Roaches in the early game if they are getting low on health.

In the simplest terms, Burrowing is an emergency move you can use to prevent a unit’s death.

I can’t even imagine a scenario where it would be useful. In VS you can use it to deploy an attack on an unfinished base, but anywhere you want to drop an attack on in Co-op is heavily fortified and you’d be much better off apraching with your army without the transport aspect.

Back when i was playing Mass Hydra without nydus, burrow was a useful ability to allow my allies and my ultra to move through my army of 100 supply hydra into the front. Other than that I don’t see any use.

Technically, other Zerg commanders have an army so little that I could not see them as Zerg at all and burrow is useless on them.

There are like 2 terran comps that don’t bring detection with their attack waves. They will scan if they start getting attacked by cloaked units.

So you could use baneling mines to blow up all the ground units, leaving nothing for them to scan for. Kinda like how DTs in BW wouldn’t trigger the “under attack” notification since workers got 1 shot.

As someone with dehaka capped at level 5, I’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of burrowing roaches to regen, since I don’t have dehaka’s regen aura.

In order for the Apocalisk, Torrasque, and Mecha Ultralisk to Burrow-charge, they need to first… (wait for it), burrow!

1 Like

Against AI, you can actually employ it in a manner similar to blink stalkers. Early on, burrowing units causes them to drop aggro.

Later on, if you can pop detection, you can do the same thing - but by that point, you can generally just wipe waves out.

Curious, do you also feel that way about cloaking? Later in the game, they also have detectors, rendering them moot*

*. Yes, I know, not quite true. Early on, you can really get away with being cloaked (e.g. Raynor’s Dusk Wings, Vorazun’s Shadow Guard, and Zeratul himself can often take on attack waves and bases with impunity). Later on, you can take out detectors to let them run wild (e.g. Karax sniping towers or detection units, or Zeratul’s Void Suppression Crystal renders towers unable to detect)